Public Events Question

This is a discussion on Public Events Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I searched and scoured 90 some pages, but to no avail.. I recently started carrying and ...

Thread: Public Events Question

Public Events Question

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I searched and scoured 90 some pages, but to no avail..

I recently started carrying and I just want to be 100% sure of all laws pertaining to CC, but I am a little confused by Public events.

I am carrying in ND and this is what our law states:
    62.1-02-05. Possession of a Firearm at a Public Gathering - Penalty - Application.
    1. A person who possesses a firearm at a public gathering is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. For the purpose of this section, "public gathering" includes athletic or sporting events, schools or school functions, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, musical concerts, and individuals in publicly owned parks where hunting is not allowed by proclamation and publicly owned or operated buildings. The term "public gathering" does not apply to a state or federal park.

So, as I understand this.... no baseball or football games, no school (obv.), no school parking lot (I teach, so not even stored in my truck I assume), churches, political events, music concerts, and publicy owned parks (does anyone have an example of this?)

Ultimately, would it be safe to assume that any event that the public is invited to is off limits to CC? For example, there is a Pow-Wow today that I am going to go to to integrate myself into the community and see some of my students. I would assume since it's invited to the public, it would be considered a public event. Is that a fair assumption?

If so, one last question... I've read on other threads about people concerned about security at musical events and games, so let me put this delicately; do people who CC weigh their options considering thier personal saftey and their laws if they know they are concealing properly? I'm not saying I will, I am just curious to different opinions.

Thanks to everyone in advance and on this forum in general.

2. Remove Ads

Short answer to No. 1: It depends...

Who is sponsoring the POW WOW?
    Where is it being held?

One GOOD thing I see in the law you quoted; it does NOT say "...includes, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO..."

Is there an exception for CCW license holders?

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Who is sponsoring the POW WOW?
    Where is it being held?

One GOOD thing I see in the law you quoted; it does NOT say "...includes, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO..."
    The event is being held in the public fairgrounds and is sponsered by the town (I think).

See, not that I've seen. That's why I'm confused. I went, did not carry, saw a large fight, took some pics of the dances and left.

You should be able to find an answer to most questions below. Hope this helps.

Handgunlaw.us

Homeland Security works best with legally armed citizens

Looks like the fairgrounds may be in the gray area of the law.
    Good that you left your "friend" at home.
    Was Al K. Hall there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Looks like the fairgrounds may be in the gray area of the law.
    Good that you left your "friend" at home.
    Was Al K. Hall there?
    Not for sale, but many people camping on the grounds so a decent possibility. Not a whole lot of LEO's or security for the amount of people.

Links