drug test while carrying..

This is a discussion on drug test while carrying.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 3 of us had to go to one of those fast care clinics today to get test for tuberculosis and tested for drugs as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: drug test while carrying..

The 3 of us had to go to one of those fast care clinics today to get test for tuberculosis and tested for drugs as part of our foster-care requirements. Well, the clinic had no signs on the door about firearms, and I knew I wasn't going to getting a physical exam or anything, so I saw no reason not to carry my gun inside. They did the TB test, no problem. Then they sent me onto the drug test. THe lady brings me into a room and tells me I have to empty my pockets and all of my possessions into this locked box before I go into the bathroom to fill the cup. I've had drug tests before but don't remember ever being asked to do this. I guess the point is to make sure you don't bring somebody else's urine in your pocket or something. So I'm standing there trying to think of how to explain my situation to the nurse. I asked her, "how will you know if I've removed everything?" She seemed very confused, but I was trying to ask if I was going to get a pat-down or something. She seemed very taken and concerned about the question and told me if I didn't comply, I'd fail my drug test. So I started pulling out my keys, cell phone, wallet.. Honestly, I wasn't sure what the heck to do. I could leave and go back to my car. But that would seem suspicious like I was trying to cheat on the drug test. I could pull the gun out and put it in the box, but who knows what reaction that would get. She might even call the cops. So after a moment I decided what to do. While I had my wallet in my hand, I opened it and removed my CHL and showed it to her. I said, "This is why I was asking about removing everything." She seemed very surprised and said, "OOOH. No.. Don't take that out, you keep that. That would really freak me out." Then she handed me the cup and sent me to the restroom. No more was said about it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

ha, I to go do a drug test for a construction project last week and I removed my rig before going in to prevent this issue. But sounds like a good way to handle it, I may try that next time so I don't have to leave in the vehicle. I have to do this from time to time to satisfy requirements of certain customers.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    The 3 of us had to go to one of those fast care clinics today to get test for tuberculosis and tested for drugs as part of our foster-care requirements. Well, the clinic had no signs on the door about firearms, and I knew I wasn't going to getting a physical exam or anything, so I saw no reason not to carry my gun inside. They did the TB test, no problem. Then they sent me onto the drug test. THe lady brings me into a room and tells me I have to empty my pockets and all of my possessions into this locked box before I go into the bathroom to fill the cup. I've had drug tests before but don't remember ever being asked to do this. I guess the point is to make sure you don't bring somebody else's urine in your pocket or something. So I'm standing there trying to think of how to explain my situation to the nurse. I asked her, "how will you know if I've removed everything?" She seemed very confused, but I was trying to ask if I was going to get a pat-down or something. She seemed very taken and concerned about the question and told me if I didn't comply, I'd fail my drug test. So I started pulling out my keys, cell phone, wallet.. Honestly, I wasn't sure what the heck to do. I could leave and go back to my car. But that would seem suspicious like I was trying to cheat on the drug test. I could pull the gun out and put it in the box, but who knows what reaction that would get. She might even call the cops. So after a moment I decided what to do. While I had my wallet in my hand, I opened it and removed my CHL and showed it to her. I said, "This is why I was asking about removing everything." She seemed very surprised and said, "OOOH. No.. Don't take that out, you keep that. That would really freak me out." Then she handed me the cup and sent me to the restroom. No more was said about it.
    You have raised some very interesting and important issues. Many drug testing company employees are horribly trained and misapply certain Federal regulations to what is called non-regulated testing. What happens here is that the private testing companies apply those standards to situations they were not intended to control.

I'd not be at all surprised that if you were to actually check code and regulations (for your state) you might find that nothing at all backs up the request for testing and nothing actually specifies how the testing is to be done. YMMV by city and state.

Probably you should have anticipated what happened and left it somewhere else. You were between a rock and a hard place.

P.S. If I were doing the state a favor by volunteering to do foster care, I'd expect some cooperation from the state and not treatment of me as a suspected user; but that is just my attitude. I fully understand that for many it is the kids who come first and they will do anything requested of them if they can help a kid out. More power to those folks.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The results came back "Mr. Adric shows no signs of tuberculosis, but we do detect he's carrying a sub-caliber handgun. Therapy for this condition is recommended."
    Hopyard and IAm_Not_Lost like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The results came back "Mr. Adric shows no signs of tuberculosis, but we do detect he's carrying a sub-caliber handgun. Therapy for this condition is recommended."
    We recomend after further deliberations that he upgrades to a high capacity. 40 Cal handgun. LOL!

Seven years ago the school system I work in, like all schools, requires drug testing. I was in the same boat as the OP. Never really thought about the Kimber on my hip when I went in for testing. I was told to empty all my pockets...everything. I asked if I could go out to the car for a moment, but she said "No, you cannot leave. Empty your pockets and head on into the bathroom." This was a double whammy as the nurse had a daughter in my school, and she told me this while I was filling out some paperwork. So without saying too much, I took out my wallet, knife, and phone...and then my gun. She just laughed and said, "I see lots of those here, no problem."
    Gotta' love the rural South.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Seven years ago the school system I work in, like all schools, requires drug testing. I was in the same boat as the OP. Never really thought about the Kimber on my hip when I went in for testing. I was told to empty all my pockets...everything. I asked if I could go out to the car for a moment, but she said "No, you cannot leave. Empty your pockets and head on into the bathroom." This was a double whammy as the nurse had a daughter in my school, and she told me this while I was filling out some paperwork. So without saying too much, I took out my wallet, knife, and phone...and then my gun. She just laughed and said, "I see lots of those here, no problem."
    Gotta' love the rural South.
    I guess the key question here is whether or not displaying the gun is lawful. I think not, at least not here where intentional display is unlawful.

Those going for such test might consider IWB instead of pocket carry. There is no requirement that they
    frisk you, thus allowing the real users to bring in whatever they wish; and many do.

There are lots of inherent problems with current urine based testing which should long ago have been replaced by saliva, hair, or sweat tests. But that set of issues would require a 100 page chapter, so ...
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Last drug test I had to do was for a job the company I work for was doing on a military base. I simply asked the lab tech where she wanted me to put my gun. She didn't bat an eye, just said "Put it in the lock box". Once done, she locked it and handed me the key. Of course VA is a gun friendly state.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Last drug test I had to do was for a job the company I work for was doing on a military base. I simply asked the lab tech where she wanted me to put my gun. She didn't bat an eye, just said "Put it in the lock box". Once done, she locked it and handed me the key. Of course VA is a gun friendly state.
    Some of them would take your revolver and twirl it with one finger in the trigger guard. Handing a gun to a stranger is not a good idea, ever, but this drug testing stuff creates an unfortunate Catch 22.
    Andrew Jackson

I had to do the same thing this week. I told the nurse I was armed, she said just let her verify it was a firearm. As I was putting my knives back into my pockets and my flashlight back into it's holster she said if anything goes down she wants me around

But yah, never had to empty the pockets before
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Those going for such test might consider IWB instead of pocket carry. There is no requirement that they
    frisk you, thus allowing the real users to bring in whatever they wish; and many do.
    Actually, I was wearing IWB today. However, I never got a firm answer from her as to whether they were intending a pat-down. I think she was avoiding the question since she could tell I was hiding something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard
    Some of them would take your revolver and twirl it with one finger in the trigger guard. Handing a gun to a stranger is not a good idea, ever, but this drug testing stuff creates an unfortunate Catch 22.
    Well, had I removed it, I would have been placing it inside a locked container. Although granted she could have unlocked it and played with it, in theory. In retrospect, I should have left it in the car but I had no idea this issue would arrise. In future I'll make sure to leave it in the car.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Actually, I was wearing IWB today. However, I never got a firm answer from her as to whether they were intending a pat-down. I think she was avoiding the question since she could tell I was hiding something.
    There is nothing in Federal testing regulations (which are not applicable in unregulated testing) which allows for anyone to be frisked or searched. The regulations specify that you are to remove outer clothing such as coats and empty your pockets. Nothing else is authorized. IWB should work.

However, when you are not being tested as part of either DOT or SAMHSA procedures, e.g., for private employment, the employer gets to make up their own rules. They are free to demand whatever they wish and you are free to say where they can go with that. Generally the testing companies try to adhere to Federal rules as they believe that gives them some legal protection. It doesn't.
    Andrew Jackson

Adric22 same thing here I just never mentioned my weapon. Empty your pockets does not mean remove your IWB holster..lol

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The gun was not handed to the person. I removed it, placed it in the lock box and removed the key. The key remained in my possession. She had no access to the gun at any time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    You handled the situation very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links