The mindset of the fight and how to train

This is a discussion on The mindset of the fight and how to train within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes Jon, I think this is the incident you were referring to. Local News | Shooting victim at mall drew gun, family ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The mindset of the fight and how to train

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Jon,

I think this is the incident you were referring to.

Local News | Shooting victim at mall drew gun, family says | Seattle Times Newspaper
    That's the one.

Here's the others -

Officer Reston - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...9qkuy0iyqbyZ1g

Gorkha with kukri - http://archives.myrepublica.com/port...&news_id=27100

Deputy Dinkheller (graphic video) - http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sig...tart-shooting/

Disclaimer - I in no way support Front Sight and do not recommend their training programs. The link just happens to be on his site.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Great points jonconsiglio and First Sgt in your last two posts.

Again, it goes back to having a Survival Mindset and being preconditioned to respond.

As law abiding citizens we go through life playing by the rules and generally speaking view most things through the rose colored prism of each of our own life experiences. Often times that seems to have a large sense of "fair play," or playing by the rules.

Another aspect is that most people do not deal with violence or violent offenders regularly. Oh, they might have the occasional drunk friend get rowdy from time to time and muck up a party, or know someone, or has a relative who beats their wife or girlfriend. But rarely do most law abiding citizens see, or interact with what I consider to be real scumbags. Gangbangers, killers, rapists. The dredges of society and most people are actually quite removed from that aspect of human depravity. We try to convince ourselves we know what these people are like, but it's from a perspective of seeing a caged animal in a zoo. You certainly don't socialize with these people, have interpersonal dealings with them or share a meal with them.

Why did they CCW holder (good guy) in the mall jonconsiglio was referring to not go ahead and take out the killer? Why, if he felt the need to challenge him to drop the gun, not do so from behind a position of cover and advantage?

Often times, the startle effect of suddenly being placed in a situation of dire circumstances is enough to give one pause. They have a natural tendency to respond with a sense that they are in denial what is happening is real. They are so far removed from how ruthless thugs act and behave that when they are suddenly, and without warning they will freeze for a moment while their brain tries to process what is before them. They hesitate at the moment of truth. They choke.

At other times, people have such a pre-conditioned mental image of what a deadly force situation is going to be in their mind, that they fail to recognize that they are standing right in the middle of one right now, because it presented itself in a way which was much different than they imagined it would be in their mind. That alone can get someone killed as much as anything else. Failing to recognize that you are in the middle of a situation which can cost you your life in the next heartbeat.

Oh, they see the man with the gun. They know moments ago he was shooting people. But for some strange reason, they have this inane sense of "fair play" that if they have a gun and tell the guy to "freeze," or "drop the gun," that the thug will recognize the good guy is now on the scene and is in charge, and he will surrender like they do in cowboy movies. When in fact, the good guy should have shot him down with no warning what so ever. So, in the end, the bad guy ends up killing the good guy because of the good guys sense of fair play. (In reality, we'll never know what was going through his head because he's dead).

Without the proper mental preparation beforehand, and without programing a conditioned response in your hard wire, a lot of people are apt to hesitate at a critical moment. The brain can process things incredibly fast. In fact, it can process things at lightning speed. But it needs help to do so efficiently and come to the proper conclusions when it is processing the data. Which boils down to a culmination of realistic and practical training, having a proper mindset that you will dominate, overcome and survive, as well as basic marksmanship skills. The more tactically you train, the more adept you are at your draw, the more situations you can train for allows the brain to process things quicker and with more options on how it routes the stimulus it is processing.

Yes, you can win with nothing more than a proper mindset and no special training. You can also win with good training but an underdeveloped fighting mindset. It happens. But they do go hand in hand and the more you develop all aspects of mindset, tactics, gunfight training, marksmanship, will result in being able to recognize being in a deadly situation quicker, allow you to respond quicker, and afford you more options of dealing with the situation on the fly.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1st Sgt.

You are correct.

The poster which you paraphrase is looking at long term preventative measures for the betterment of self and family. To reduce the odds of bad things happening to them...

And, statistically speaking, bad things most often happen in bad environs. I agree, that bad things can happen anywhere at any time. But they are less likely to happen in better environments.

I consider myself amongst the prepared. Not in bold, but prepared nonetheless.

IMO, one of the primary reasons mindset is called that, is because you must use your "mind." If you are unable to do so, then it is best to stick with "I will not do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places. Especially if you are armed. In so doing, you reduce the risk of bad things happening to you.

I also agree that you must have a commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. However, avoidance can be taken to extremes, becoming phobia.

I choose to carry on with "life." Better prepared than most; and in the end, willing to assure I stay alive by whatever means necessary without sacrificing freedom. This is more "taxing" than going around in what some call "condition white," but in all, does not interfere with my enjoyment of living a rich life. And allows for more than making a concrete rule that I will never be in a situation in which there are stupid people doing stupid things.

I am prepared to defend myself. I am prepared to take another life if need be. I also refuse to be confined by a "prudent" or conservative approach to the dangers in the world.

I train, and learn, as much as I can. Every tool in the box is useful, even if only once in a lifetime. If my learning and training to the date of an attack on me do not cover the exact circumstances, I will adapt what I know to fit as best I can.

One can never train for EVERY possibility. But sometimes you can use a screwdriver as a hammer, and a hammer as a prybar. Not always the best tool for a particular job is available... Use your head, and use what you've got.
    Bark'n, Bill MO and TSiWRX like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

We cannot think that we're any bit safer no matter where we live. Both times I've need a firearm in self defense were in affluent neighborhoods. On in South Texas and one near Pittsburgh, PA.

So, seeing as I frequent the better neighborhoods and shopping areas in my personal life, that means that I am more likely to be in a violent encounter in a better neighborhood than I am in a "bad" neighborhood since I rarely even drive through bad neighborhoods in my personal life.

If 98% of my time is spent in a neighborhood where there's a 1:12 chance of a violent crime and 2% of my time in a neighborhood where there's a 1:2 chance, I'm more likely to be in a violent encounter in the 1:12 neighborhood.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

That is very true, jon. No one is going to be immune from crime. We all prepare for it to the point we feel comfortable, and then at some point you have to live your life. That's the norm for a vast majority of ordinary Joe citizen who has a ccw permit.

But it's a dangerous assumption to make, if you believe you are less likely to be a victim in one area over another.

That just comes back to bite you in the ass when it does happen. That's how people end up in a state of denial when it happens. So many people end up saying to themself, "I can't believe this is happening" when they should be dealing with the situation.

Obviously Dr. Petite, in Connecticut felt completely safe in his upwardly mobile community among other doctors, lawyers and brokers when his whole family got tortured and slaughtered, barely escaping with his own life, by two vile and vicious ex-con's who stumbled into their lives early one morning a year or two ago.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Exactly, that's the point I was trying to make. I was saying that regardless that where you live, you're never immune. Just because you live in a nice area with "less" crime, doesn't mean it won't happen. If that's where you spend all your time, that's where it'll happen, if it does.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone with my post. I don't think that any area is truly safe compared to another, regardless of the amount of crime. Percentages only apply to the public in general, not a specific person.

Yeah, I wasn't confused. Just bringing it around full circle from another angle. LOL
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

OOH-RAH,SEMPER FI,1st Recon,enough said!

SEMPER FI, Do or Die, Raging Bulls! Ooh-Rah! Go Bulls!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't confused. Just bringing it around full circle from another angle. LOL
    Well, then I was!

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Guys, I think I'll just go to work again and come home and read more. There has been some good posting going on since I left this morning
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    OOH-RAH,SEMPER FI,1st Recon,enough said!
    Not enough! OOH-RAH 2ND RECON! SWIFT, SILENT,DEADLY!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Here is some reading for those with an interest on mindset and survival.

http://www.uscca.us/downloads/reports/survival.pdf
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links