Man drops gun at city hall meeting....

This is a discussion on Man drops gun at city hall meeting.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Colorado fishing this past week and this was the news while I was there. It only takes one mistake to ruin it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man drops gun at city hall meeting....

Man drops gun at city hall meeting....

I was in Colorado fishing this past week and this was the news while I was there. It only takes one mistake to ruin it for everyone. The attitude of the person who dropped his firearm is scary and dangerous.

Granby bans carrying firearms openly in Town Hall | SkyHiDailyNews.com

The Town of Granby has tweaked its code to prohibit carrying a gun in plain sight into Town Hall.

The law was sparked by a recent episode, during which a former trustee candidate addressing the town board at the podium inside the meeting room of Town Hall had to pick up his semi-automatic pistol after it had dropped from his waistband to the floor.

The fact it had been a handgun that fell did not go over well with trustees, who sat as a panel facing the podium.

Although Granby Mayor Jynnifer Pierro had been absent from that meeting, in light of recent news — particularly what happened to Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords — she said she felt the need for “some sort of protection for the people that are at Town Hall. Town Hall should feel safer,” she said.

A few gun rights advocates attended the ensuing June 28 Granby town board meeting about the topic.

Those with concealed carry permits, such as Ed Magee of Granby who dropped his gun at the podium, must pass background checks and undergo training, said Rich Dowell, a concealed weapons class instructor.

“It's not the ones with concealed carry permits you have to worry about,” Dowell said. “It's the ones who are already lawbreakers.”

For residents who have a permit to carry a concealed handgun, carrying such a gun in a public place is mostly a protected right in Colorado, save for restrictions at schools and public buildings where there are security checkpoints, such as the Grand County Courthouse.

Granby trustees learned the only option for otherwise prohibiting the carrying of firearms on public property is in Colorado's open carry laws. By posting notice at Town Hall, the board now forbids the public from carrying guns in plain sight into the building.

The board pondered, but in the end rejected, laws on open carry of guns in other public places, such as parks, trails and open spaces, primarily due to the prevalence of wild animals in the Granby area.

“It was just an unfortunate encounter with gravity,” Magee said days after the episode. Magee said he had not intended for the gun to be exposed or for it to be in any way intimidating.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I wonder if it was a pink gun??
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

was he even using a holster? If so which one so I NEVER buy that holster!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    was he even using a holster? If so which one so I NEVER buy that holster!
    No doubt!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Man, I worry about just printing, much less dropping a firearm on the floor, at a public meeting, no less. Just like the Southwest commercials said, "wanna get away?" You'd just about want to pick it up and shoot yerself with it....
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

Cool

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

What an idiot. I doubt he was even carrying in a holster. But if he was, he needs to reevaluate his equipment. No holster I use or would ever use, would allow my gun to just slip out and fall to the floor.

This kind of dip makes us all look bad.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Maybe He was using an imaginary holster and friction to ward off gravity,Gravity won.
    I really love the comment about no OPEN carried guns to make people feel safer,REALLY I bet she pulls her bed covers over her head when she sees the boogey man
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Really what kind of holster was this guy using? After I got ccp I didn't carry until I had a proper holster that concealed and was functional. STUPID.....

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I don't understand why they took action by banning open carry. The incident wasn't caused by this man carrying a firearm out in the open, it was caused by his lack of using proper gear and not handling his weapon in a safe manner. Why did they feel the need to rail against something which will have no bearing at all on the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I don't understand why they took action by banning open carry. The incident wasn't caused by this man carrying a firearm out in the open, it was caused by his lack of using proper gear and not handling his weapon in a safe manner. Why did they feel the need to rail against something which will have no bearing at all on the issue?
    It was a town government, and probably a public meeting. They had to respond in some manner. By law, they cannot ban the CC aspect, only the OC. They can however post a sign, "No weapons/Guns/Firearms" which do not carry the weight of law unless a person gets made, asked to leave and they refuse. Even then it's just a trespassing charge.

Not defending the guy, but this could have been a simple wardrobe issue - does not normally wear a suit, when he stood up, the coat got caught on some part of the weapon and pulled it from the holster, and finally fell out when he made it to the podium/or he bent over to pick up his notes that he dropped and that was the finishing touch. None of us were there, so who knows. The news said waistband, might have been a shoulder holster and the retention snap disconnected, but the reporter who may or may not have been present had to guess. For that matter, this might be a third hand reporting of the incident.

From the article;
    “It was just an unfortunate encounter with gravity,” Magee said days after the episode. Magee said he had not intended for the gun to be exposed or for it to be in any way intimidating.
    Certainly not "Hot" news. This occurred on June 28. This is more of an article on a new ordinance.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Is this guy related to Plaxico Burress? Give him a NY Jets jersey, and put him in the game.

I don't have a problem with the government responding to a problem. I do have a problem with their response. One man created a problem and instead of addressing what he did they decided to take away the rights of all citizens in that town.
    I wonder. If they found that one of the ladies at the meeting was selling sex would they ban all women from future attendance? Or, would they go after the one causing the problem?

Michael

"Town Hall should feel safer,” .....

That is the dumbest comment out of the whole thing. Let's keep the attention where it belongs... being safe, has nothing to do with "feeling safe". Signs are not going to keep out someone intent on coming in and shooting them, or the whole place up. It's an illusion, and shouldn't be perpetuated with stupidity.

The "OMG it's a gun" stupidity, needs to be addressed. It didn't go off and shoot anyone , did it ?

If I were him, a good recovery would have been, I just wanted to demonstrate to you how safe guns really are.... that if it dropped they won't fire, that if a gun is around does not mean anyone is going to be shot, that people who are law-abiding citizens will remain that way .... and just because I carried this gun in here to demonstrate this... doesn't mean anyone is in any threat of being harmed, in fact the opposite, if a BG did come in here.... . I would be able to not only protect myself, but all of you ... unlike the situation with the Senator from Arizona.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    What an idiot. I doubt he was even carrying in a holster.
    I bet you are right on there Mike! Don't understand people that "Mexican carry"! Good way to alter your gender!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links