IWB Carry - Page 2

IWB Carry

This is a discussion on IWB Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm - As an aside, I do wear my extra mag pouch OWB. Excellent idea that I hadn't considered! No concerns about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: IWB Carry

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    As an aside, I do wear my extra mag pouch OWB.
    Excellent idea that I hadn't considered! No concerns about accidental exposure of a mag and could pass for a cell phone or old fashioned pager to the casual observer. Thanks.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt
    "Today's culture only cares about NOW. A patriot cares about 100 years from now." - Neal Boortz via oldskeetshooter
    -USAF 1986 - 1995
    -Glock 23 2008 - Present

Quote Originally Posted by BrigadeGunLeather View Post
    Way more often than not men don't need to change there pant size to accommodate IWB holsters. My rule of thumb I tell customers is can they get their palm (flat hand) between your pants and your body without a belt on... if the answer is yes then you are generally not going to have a problem with IWB carry with a leather holster. For the last 16 years this is what has worked for me when building holsters for guys carrying concealed.
    Great quick test for side and hip carry. For appendix carry even a bit less room is required.

Brigade, you make some beautiful holsters!

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    You don't need to go up a size or two larger. If you have to, you are wearing your pants too damn tight in the first place. I never once bought a pair of pants bigger than normal since carrying, and no I don't wear loose, baggy pants. I dress very European. Having to buy bigger pants, and changing your whole wardrobe is not needed.

Actually, I take that back. When I first started carrying, I did buy pants two sizes bigger (because everyone said to), and it caused my pants to follow my holster up and I couldn't draw. That was the last time doing that, and I just wore my normal clothes.
    I guess to each is own. A 32 waist is a perfect fit for me without my gun and holster. A 33 waist is a perfect fit with my gear on. Could I carry my current rig in a 32? Yes. It would be NEARLY as comfortable though.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I lost 10lbs this year, IWB actually keeps me from buying new pants. =D

Quote Originally Posted by pocketgroove View Post
    I lost 10lbs this year, IWB actually keeps me from buying new pants. =D
    Hey! I found them for you :)

Sponsor
    Excellent... when you loose a few more than you need to get a back up IWB gun and holster to compensate further.
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

cmb
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    However, the "fit" depends on what you are carrying. I am a smaller man, 5-7. A few extra pounds. If I elected to carry a full size weapon,like a 1911, Glock, etc, I would have to buy new pants. I alternate between a Colt Mustang 380 and a 642 smith in 38.
    Hints:
    Buy thin leather IWB holsters or thin nylon ones. Padded holsters take up a lot of room and create the "printing" bulge.
    I want it to be concealed, and for us smaller guys, its a bit more difficult.
    When I first started carrying back around 1970, I had a IWB holster made from reverse pigskin. the smooth side to the gun, the rough side toward me. Very comfortable. I can't find that one anymore, so I use a Galco leather one now. Alsmost as good. The uncle mike stuff is good, however, their belt clips work loose after a while.
    What fits us all is different but my snubbie is much thicker than my 1911...

I second the good belt and the khaki pants, I prefer cargos (wranglers @ WW) because they provide extra pockets for other non-gun stuff and I have found Dickies belts also at WW and now a faded glory "work belt" which is quite stiff... belts about 10-12$; cargos under 20...

I also frequent thrift stores & yard sales and filter through pants and shorts looking first for cargo pockets and then for my waist size, then for useable pockets and then for amount of use left in them... usually I can find pants under 5$ usually under $3 and 1 out of every three I find are good enough for daily wear to work and such... this has saved me a bundle... you just have to look and be persistent if you ever come across the right sale or day with your size, you can spend 20$ and have 5-6 new to you pants!

I have never bought a bigger size but I am a 37 waist... so you guessed it, 36 a little snug 38 with a gun PERFECT
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Sponsor
    My favorite pants to carry in for a business casual look are the Tru-Spec 24/7. They have an elastic band as well, and cargo pockets with dividers that are great for magazines. Although I've never had any issues with having to go up a size in jeans however, I suppose its because I wear pants that are a bit loose, or maybe I've been carrying for so long that I just naturally buy pants that are compatible for IWB, not sure.

-clay

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    You don't need to go up a size or two larger. If you have to, you are wearing your pants too damn tight in the first place. I never once bought a pair of pants bigger than normal since carrying, and no I don't wear loose, baggy pants. I dress very European. Having to buy bigger pants, and changing your whole wardrobe is not needed.
    Ditto. Since I build CCW holsters as kind of a sideline, I've found that one needn't do a lot of the "tactical" things that mall ninjas suggest. I'll jam a Govt model or a Commander into an appropriate model rig, and head down the road. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the IWB can be a rather comfortable holster if it is built right.

IWB is how I carry off-duty almost all of the time. I have a 32" waist and I always have bought my pants 1" larger. This will work IWB or OWB, I just adjust my belt accordingly. However, I cannot wear my pants without a belt.

Body shape has a lot to do with it. Tighten up the core and IWB carry becomes a lot easier. But it isn't for everyone. As mentioned, the rig makes a difference too.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm 5'9" and used to weigh 207. I found that by shedding some table muscle and going down to 185 I was able to carry IWB without buying new clothes. When I don't carry (which is rare) I simply go a hole tighter on the belt.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I can't tell from just the pictures, but the Tru-Spec 24/7 pants appear to be cut as a "tapered leg" pant. If anyone can chime in and confirm I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for similar styled pants, but prefer more of a boot cut pant with a flat front.

VIP Member
    I am a pretty skinny guy so for length my shorts usually are a little big in the waist, so I didn't have to change up my wardrobe. Awesome you found yourself a solution!!!
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

As with the others, I haven't had a problem with IWB. Even before I carried I would buy pants that were a size larger...I haven't liked tight fitting pants since the 80's and I'm too old for skinny jeans

I usually either carry my full sized .40 (S&W SW99) or a 9mm(Cougar) and honestly most of the time I don't even notice it on my hip.

Different strokes though....could be a comfort issue, a draw speed issue or just asthetics. Just do what's best for you.

Senior Moderator
    I've never worried about pant size when using my good quality leather IWB holster. I may need an extra notch on the belt, but that's it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links