IWB Carry

This is a discussion on IWB Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I'm repeating a previous post of someone's, forgive me. I often see people saying they avoid IWB carry because they don't want to buy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: IWB Carry

IWB Carry

If I'm repeating a previous post of someone's, forgive me. I often see people saying they avoid IWB carry because they don't want to buy a new wardrobe a size or two larger. I can relate. It kept me away from IWB also. I barely have enough money to buy one wardrobe, let alone two. Like many people (look around), I wear khaki pants to work. Consequently, a lot of times whether I'm working or not, you'll find me in a pair of khaki pants. They just tend to dominate my wardrobe. Several makers produce khaki pants with elastic hidden in the waistband. Wrangler makes some, but they are also available at Sears and Walmart. I like the ones from Sears because they are creased and permanent pressed so they look a little neater for business wear. At about $22 a pair, they also fit my budget. With the addition of the elastic, my IWB holster slips right in. However, I can wear the pants without the carry rig and they still fit. They solved my wardrobe problem so I thought I would pass the info along.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

I find IWB uncomfortable. I only do it on certian occasions. Waist size has nothing to do with it. I am glad it works for you. I also have other pistols for deep concealment.
    Semper Fi

Great Point!! I usually carry daily IWB (p239 mostly with p229, g30sf & g26 getting iwb carry time, as well) in blue jeans but find the shorts with elastic very handy, as well......makes IWB a breeze for bumming around on weekends! Good Post BkCo1...!!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

You don't need to go up a size or two larger. If you have to, you are wearing your pants too damn tight in the first place. I never once bought a pair of pants bigger than normal since carrying, and no I don't wear loose, baggy pants. I dress very European. Having to buy bigger pants, and changing your whole wardrobe is not needed.

Actually, I take that back. When I first started carrying, I did buy pants two sizes bigger (because everyone said to), and it caused my pants to follow my holster up and I couldn't draw. That was the last time doing that, and I just wore my normal clothes.

I have not gone up a pant size either and I have carried IWB since day one of carrying. G26, G19, G30 all carried at different times IWB.

I will say if I keep eating regauardless of my gun and holster I will be going up a pant size.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

VIP Member
    I generally wear Wrangler’s Relaxed Fit jeans, never had a problem with IWB just let out belt one notch and everything fits well.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sponsor
    Way more often than not men don't need to change there pant size to accommodate IWB holsters. My rule of thumb I tell customers is can they get their palm (flat hand) between your pants and your body without a belt on... if the answer is yes then you are generally not going to have a problem with IWB carry with a leather holster. For the last 16 years this is what has worked for me when building holsters for guys carrying concealed.
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

VIP Member
    I've also never gone up a size in order to carry IWB. Maybe I've always worn my pants too big, but I figure that's what a belt it for.

I hate tight clothes.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I always wear a belt & buy my pants for comfort (standard fit) & have no comfort issues with an IWB rig designed for a compact firearm. If you wish to carry a full-sized firearm and/or an IWB mag holder as well, that may be a different story.

I wear Dockers pants & some of the pairs have the 'invisible extra inch' afforded by the stitched-in elastic, but I have no problem using my Crossbreed QwikClip in any case. Likewise, wearing IWB with my normal jeans & shorts works just fine. As an aside, I do wear my extra mag pouch OWB.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

As I mentioned, the elastic in my cargo shorts is nice and makes carrying IWB easy, but as others have said, I also wear my normal size Wranglers (32 x 32) with no problems carrying p239, p229, & g30 & g26 IWB! I guess if your pants are already too tight, then that would make a difference......I'm 57 years old and don't need to wear my pants as tight as I did when I was young and rodeoing and trying to impress the girls!
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I've been buying my pants a couple of sizes bigger.

Of course, that has nothing to do with my IWB carry, and everything to do with my slowing metabolism and my increased TV consumption I've found that if my pants are comfortable without my MTAC, they'll be comfortable with my MTAC. There are a couple of exceptions, but I just wear OWB with those, as they go with untucked shirts anyway... shorts and jeans. My slacks are fine with or without IWB.

PS: I also wanted to mention that the quality of the holster makes all the difference......I've had some cheap Holsters that weren't comfortable no matter how your pants fit.......buying quality Gunleather is well worth the money spent!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXOutfitter View Post
    PS: I also wanted to mention that the quality of the holster makes all the difference......I've had some cheap Holsters that weren't comfortable no matter how your pants fit.......buying quality Gunleather is well worth the money spent!
    Bingo. I was in the slow-learner group on that and proper belts as well. Skimp on either and suffer the consequences.

However, the "fit" depends on what you are carrying. I am a smaller man, 5-7. A few extra pounds. If I elected to carry a full size weapon,like a 1911, Glock, etc, I would have to buy new pants. I alternate between a Colt Mustang 380 and a 642 smith in 38.
    Hints:
    Buy thin leather IWB holsters or thin nylon ones. Padded holsters take up a lot of room and create the "printing" bulge.
    I want it to be concealed, and for us smaller guys, its a bit more difficult.
    When I first started carrying back around 1970, I had a IWB holster made from reverse pigskin. the smooth side to the gun, the rough side toward me. Very comfortable. I can't find that one anymore, so I use a Galco leather one now. Alsmost as good. The uncle mike stuff is good, however, their belt clips work loose after a while.

ConcealedG30, I'm with you. Got to cut back or I will be buying another wardrobe!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links