G & S Gunshows not gun friendly

This is a discussion on G & S Gunshows not gun friendly within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a gunshow today put on by G & S Gunshows, there was a big sign no concealed guns, no loaded clips. It ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G & S Gunshows not gun friendly

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar

G & S Gunshows not gun friendly

I went to a gunshow today put on by G & S Gunshows, there was a big sign no concealed guns, no loaded clips. It was not the state law sign, this was just a posting. Not legaly binding, they could ask me to leave. I asked what was the deal, a gunshow by gun owners for gun owners should respect a concealed carry permit. I know I should have just walked on in and not said anything. I told the lady they might want to rethink their policy on this, as I was hitting the web with this information.

2. Remove Ads

here they saw it is for insurance reasons they want you to unload at the door

Assistant Administrator
    Philip - seems to be more the norm these days - and much as I don't like it can see some reason.

I am dead sure the majority of us here can perfectly safe carry in such a place but - it would only take one less than safety conscious person to draw a loaded carry gun - to test a rig or mag etc - and there is the possibility of an ND. Any such event is a very bad mark for gun shows, which in some ways these days are struggling to maintain their function - what with BATFE ''interest'' etc.

It is therefore IMO a policy based on the lowest common denominator - and so we all have to suffer. I don't like it at all but feel we have to suck it up - plus, the organiser does have the last say in his ''house''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    I told the lady they might want to rethink their policy on this, as I was hitting the web with this information.
    I think most gun shows are this way...and I don't like it either. But I'm curious, what did she say? I'm sure she said something like, "I didn't make the rule; there's nothing I can do; I don't agree either; etc.", right?

Liability probably enters into the picture somewhat.
    Doug

Sig P229 .357/.40, G17, G19, G23, G27, Bushmaster XM-15, Ruger PC9 Carbine, Win. 1300 'Defender' 12 Ga. (among others)

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

I almost, just kept right on walking in without saying anything. But it just struck a nerve with me. She said it was their insurance. I said you might want to check on other insurance carriers. It's concealed and not flashed around. Chris, I understand completly what you are saying about it being tuff for the gunshows. But I put mine away under the seat in my locked truck and covered with plenty of stuff to hide it. I do have a alarm on the truck also. But I walked around the place several times before I saw anything but red. I went looking for mags for the P14-40. No luck today.

I understand it's like Mcdonalds putting caution hot coffee on their cups, and when you buy a pencil you get a don't run with sharp objects warning with it.

Saw a long thread about this somewhere--Boiled down to insurance being mandatory to rent the site, very few insurers will cover a gun show, and all of them require no CCW.

I know the local gun show is held at the county fairgrounds, and I believe it is a county insurance requirement that dictates no firearms. Of course, law enforcement is usually visible in force, and usually friendly, so security is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    here they saw it is for insurance reasons they want you to unload at the door
    I'll unload, nothing was said to me about that. I'll stick the ammo in my pocket. This makes sense and all. It just hits me in the gut.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    That's what we get for living in the land of lawsuits.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I was at a gun show once years ago when an ND occurred. Let me tell you the sound of a 45 discharging in a convention center will certainly get your attention. Thankfully no one was injured. This occurred long before Missouri allowed Concealed Carry. So no matter how careful we are things can happen. I personally have no problem with them not allowing concealed carry. There are so many people brushing against each other trying to get down crowded isles that I would constantly be grabbing and assuring my piece was were it belonged. Just my feelings.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    C & E Gunshows the folks that run most of the gunshows in Virginia and quite a few in North Carolina have the same policy. It is quite commonplace I believe, and is done mainly for insurance reasons.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    I'll unload, nothing was said to me about that. I'll stick the ammo in my pocket. This makes sense and all. It just hits me in the gut.
    thats all they ask here you unload and they ziptie the action open if a auto and will cut the tie when you leave or allow you to ziptie it and cut it when you leave . for a wheelie they just asked me to unload it and close cylinder

rule washington arms collectors shows.
    1. There will be no loaded firearms, magazines, or speedloaders in the building, either on the tables or on one’s person, with the exception of law enforcement and private security officers under contract with WAC

Just went to a show earlier today and the rule here is you can carry inside, but all guns must be checked by a local LEO before you can enter. They must be unloaded (empty chambers with revolvers, no mag inserted with SA's) and a plastic tie is used to make sure the gun can't be fired.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links