CCW in Boston or Seattle?

This is a discussion on CCW in Boston or Seattle? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a pending offer for a transfer from Tucson to either Boston or Seattle. First off, I'm not even sure I'll move. We really ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: CCW in Boston or Seattle?

Distinguished Member

CCW in Boston or Seattle?

I have a pending offer for a transfer from Tucson to either Boston or Seattle. First off, I'm not even sure I'll move. We really like Tucson. I know that my current CCW is not valid in those cities. My question: can you even get a CCW in those cities? Is it like Chicago where you can forget it? Is it like some cities in California that technically say you can get a CCW but fat chance if you will ever get one? I take my 2nd Amendment that seriously that it would weigh heavily on my decision to move. Thanks for any input.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Boston: Four words: MA approved gun list.

Seattle: Firearms Academy of Seattle, inSights firearms training...

Easy choice for me
    Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Boston: Four words: MA approved gun list.

Seattle: Firearms Academy of Seattle, inSights firearms training...

Easy choice for me
    Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.
    JD, I'm slow. What is "MA approved gun list??" Only certain firearms are allowed in Mass.?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I just moved from Seattle and I had my CPL for over a year while living there. I would not open carry in the city as people are not used to seeing it but yes you can get a concealed permit. In fact WA is a "SHALL ISSUE" state meaning as long as you pass the background check and meet other requirements (no domestic violence stuff on your record, no mental or anything) they will issue you a concealed permit. I went to the downtown Seattle precinct to get mine in about 5 days. The only qualms I have with getting a concealed permit in Seattle is they make you go into the same room that registered sex offenders have to go into when they move to the city to register. I have not been to Boston so cannot speak to that but as far as the city goes it is AWESOME! The weather is a lot nicer and more mild than a lot of people think. My only issue is the bleeding heart liberals that are EVERYWHERE in that city. You can't walk down a street without someone from the Red Cross or Planned Parenthood, or Children's International trying to stop you and hit you up for money. That and all of the bums. There is a homeless person on EVERY street corner with a cardboard sign. You also cannot walk downtown and smoke a cigarette without 50 people asking you for one. You will see if you go out there. 3rd avenue between Pike and Pine is the worst. They could nuke that entire block and I would be ok with it. BUT all of that aside you have the water, mountains, mild seasons, great hiking/camping, an abundance of shooting ranges. Very nice placer to live if you can ignore the riff raff.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    JD, I'm slow. What is "MA approved gun list??" Only certain firearms are allowed in Mass.?
    Yep, http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/...rms_roster.pdf

Seattle, hands down.

WA is one of the most CCW friendly states in the Union, really. I miss Seattle a lot, and Savage206 doesn't do it justice in his description. Yes, there are political activists and "cause collectors" downtown, but they stick to about a three block area. Panhandling is about 1/10th of what I found in Reno, probably 1/100th of Boston (having never been to Boston, maybe I shouldn't comment as to that).

One of the biggest selling points... Preemption. While the City of Seattle has tried to pass ordinances against firearms*, they can't legally do it. We have a Shall Issue standing, and the permit is cheap ($55 for 5 year, $35 for renewals). We don't have a training requirement (not sure why JD is referencing those training facilities... they're great, but they aren't for getting your CCW), just a fingerprint and background check. I think that of the states that require CCW permits, we're about the only ones that get it right. I just wish that Constitutional Carry would be on the table here...

Oh, and we're an open carry state. I wouldn't recommend it downtown Seattle, but just because of how crowded it gets, and lots of tourists that might get panicky if they see a gun. I have seen OC down there though without reaction, so you might be better off than I think, but it is pretty hippie-ish down there.

*The City passed an ordinance banning firearms (CC or otherwise) in City owned parks and buildings... the AG told them not to before they implemented it, and after it passed (and was posted), the state supreme court overturned it.
    9MMare and Toorop like this.

JD
    Administrator
    Not listing it for training requirements, it's just that I'd spend at least one weekend a month at either.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not listing it for training requirements, it's just that I'd spend at least one weekend a month at either.
    Yeah... I wish I had the time/money, I'd help the owners retire.

WA has some of the oldest CCW laws in the nation, it's the basic ground work that is mirror in part or full around the country. Shall issue

MA is shall issue, low capacity mags (but I *think* there is provision for moving into state, if you jump through a dozen hoops and are very careful on language); permits are multiple class may issue, so you're really at the mercy of the situation locally (I'm not sure if it's by town or by county, again I *think* by town) and there's a reason field that is commonly filled out all legal purposes/uses. From what I've read here, and a few other gun forums, is it is certainly doable if you want to carry there, but it just may not be easy until you're in and working the system. It's the home of Smith and Wesson, Springfield Armory, it's darn close to SigSauer; and there's a lot of history in the state, wonderful beaches, I really wish their gun laws were different as the out of state permit laws are ridiculous.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member
    Unbelievable! And, of course, My H&K P30 is not on the list. Give me a break. But thanks, all, for the input. Good stuff on both areas.

Seattle no question
    Dont rent in belltown. Check out Seattle PDs interactive crime map before renting or buying.

Wa state is shall issue.
    If stopped you have no duty to inform.
    Its cheap.
    There is no training but your trainings.
    Mine took two weeks to process.

Oh and if like me you do always inform the officer when you get pulled over, every single time has been just fine. The only one that was odd was when I got pulled over returning from the range and everyone else was going to a bar so I brought everyones guns home.

That was a little odd explaining about 7 pistols and assorted rifles and shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    Seattle no question
    Dont rent in belltown. Check out Seattle PDs interactive crime map before renting or buying.

Wa state is shall issue.
    If stopped you have no duty to inform.
    Its cheap.
    There is no training but your trainings.
    Mine took two weeks to process.

Oh and if like me you do always inform the officer when you get pulled over, every single time has been just fine. The only one that was odd was when I got pulled over returning from the range and everyone else was going to a bar so I brought everyones guns home.

That was a little odd explaining about 7 pistols and assorted rifles and shotguns.

Little known fact in WA: When the dispatcher for any agency sets up their license and background checking software, there is an option (checkbox) to cross-reference CPLs with the DL#. It's basically up to whoever sets up the computer and/or the head of the department. That means that the officer running your driver's license may or may not be notified that you have a CPL. Any retail firearms purchases are attached to your CPL number.

If you choose to inform, I recommend handing your CPL to the officer with your driver's license. DL on top, CPL on bottom. That way he flips through your stuff and registers that you are carrying on his own, rather than saying "Officer, I'd like to tell you that I have a gun". They seem to like that a little better :)

Yeah I have the cpl wrapped around the DL and I never say gun.

I just say "sir I have a concealed weapons permit" they ask if im carrying, I say yes, they generally ask where, I tell them, they say cool. 3/4 of the time we end up talking guns and forget about any ticket.

VIP Member
    Nt much of a choice in my book. Given the 2 I'd take Seattle over Boston. At least in Washington you don't have to jump through hoops and beg for your rights.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Besides the landslide of firearms advantages, don't forget that Seattle is an amazing city. I know several people from the East Coast that have moved to the Seattle area, and all of them fell in love with the city. Being from AZ, you'll have to acclimate to the humidity, but you might have the same thing in Boston. No matter what though, Seattle has an energy that I've never found before.

Just a few minutes' drive from Seattle you have almost untouched wilderness with amazing outdoor activities, I could spend days just walking in the woods. The beaches are beautiful, and there's wildlife everywhere. If you miss the desert, the other side of the state is semi-arid desert with some great hiking and camping.

Can you tell I miss it in Sea? :)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links