How Are These States As Far Being CCW Friendly?

This is a discussion on How Are These States As Far Being CCW Friendly? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may be retiring next year and maybe doing some travelling, mostly to visit relatives and friends. I have a resident Florida CWP, and will ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How Are These States As Far Being CCW Friendly?

How Are These States As Far Being CCW Friendly?

I may be retiring next year and maybe doing some travelling, mostly to visit relatives and friends.
    I have a resident Florida CWP, and will be travelling by car (or SUV)
    I carry on my person while driving, and have another in a safe in the SUV which is in the center console.
    I do have copies of their laws, however, just because its a law doesn't mean you will not get harrased by a LEO.
    Are there a lot of "No weapons" signs on restaurants and other establishments?
    I am law abiding. I don't want to make a scene (or get arrested) to "excersize my rights".

The states I will be travelling thru and possibly stopping are:

Georgia,

South Carolina,

North Carolina,

Virginia,

Tennesee

and Alabama

& NOT Nevada.

2. Remove Ads

I'd say Virginia is about %85 to %90 gun friendly compared to states like Vt. Az. and Alaska.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Tennessee - about as carry friendly as any other CCW state. You can carry openly or concealed here with a permit. Most people here carry concealed as not to scare the sheep or to be harassed by LEOs that don't know state carry laws.

You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, provided they are not posted and you do not drink. The gunbusters sign and/or the state statute posted at the entrance carry the weight of law here. Most restaurants, at least in the middle TN area, are not posted.

I think Texas has made great progress. Each year we pass more and more laws that give more freedoms to gun owners and CHL holders. About the only thing we don't have is open carry. We might even get that in a couple of years.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

WV isnt too bad at all the fees are a little high IMO but for about 125 bucsk you get 5 years. You dont have to list what gun you will be carrying and can carry as many guns as you want.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Virginia is very gun friendly. There are a few communities that think they are above state law, but they've lost quite a bit of money in lawsuits for it.

VA allows both concealed and open carry. Carry in restaurants that sell alcohol is allowed provided you do not drink while carrying. VA has reciprocity with Florida.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Georgia is pretty good:
    -Concealed or open carry.
    -Carry into restaurants that serve alcohol is legal, and you can even drink if you like, but bars and churches are off limits (go figure).
    -Signs carry no weight of law, but if asked to leave and you don't, you can be charged with criminal trespassing.
    -State has preemption, so local governments can't make more restrictive laws than state law.
    -NFA goodies are legal with the proper paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'd say Virginia is about %85 to %90 gun friendly compared to states like Vt. Az. and Alaska.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Virginia is very gun friendly. There are a few communities that think they are above state law, but they've lost quite a bit of money in lawsuits for it.

VA allows both concealed and open carry. Carry in restaurants that sell alcohol is allowed provided you do not drink while carrying. VA has reciprocity with Florida.
    I think these two esteemed Virginians have pretty well covered it for the Old Dominion...

I'm not a native, but I will most likely spend the rest of my life here...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    East TN is good, as long as you remember to look for gun buster signs and don't go past one when you see it.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

It really seems to vary by county as far as I personally have noticed. My home county in NC seems to be CCW friendly but counties such as Durham and one(s) in and around Charlotte seems less tolerant.

I know you won't be traveling here, but I would have to give a shout out to Indiana! Very gun/carry friendly and very few restriction to boot! Life-time licenses, strong castle doctrine, very few signs that carry no weight. We got to be in the top five!

P.S. A Governor that signs any pro-gun/rights bill that hits his desk without hesitation!
    CIBMike and kahrcarrier like this.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    North Carolina isn't too bad. The biggest challenge will be restrictions on where you can carry as you travel.

Concealed or open carry, both are allowed but outside of rural areas you may cause a stir if you openly carry.
    Carry into restaurants that serve alcohol is NOT legal, and you and can not drink. The ban on restaurant carry will be one of two big challenges traveling through.
    Signs DO carry weight of law and I think it is a misdemeanor, but may be a trespass violation
    I am pretty sure that carry is also banned in rest stops, at least until Dec 1, 2011. This is the other challenge.
    It is a notify state, so if you do get stopped, be sure to tell them that you have your license and are carrying.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Nevada=the best CCW state hands down.
    Well .... it may be good but it has some competition to be the best. AK, AZ, and VT are pretty tough competition - no permit required - for over a hundred years in VT.

PA, where I am, is really good too. Very few places one can't carry, very few places are posted, the permit is inexpensive, no training required, and issued very quickly (less than 2 weeks in most cases) and if you need a gun for your safety RFN, today, open carry is legal and there is no waiting period to buy a handgun if you pass the phone check.

Florida has reciprocity with a lot of states. Check the WEB U.S. CCW Reciprocity Map from CarryConcealed.net for reciprocity and the rules for each state you will visit.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I am going to be traveling during the 9/11 weekend and I am a retired federal officer and what I did was call the top cop in each state and get the info from the man himself. I found that all were very helpful and advised me of some of the little things that were might be important and also any recent changes. I wrote down who I talked with, date and time and put it with my travelers guide to the firearm laws of the fifty

Be safe stay alert

Distinguished Member
    For SC- we recognize your resident Fl license. No carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. No carry in church unless you have permission. No carry in hospitals or doctors offices without owners' permision. Gunbuster signs have weight of law if they meet the size requirements. We must notify LEO if asked for ID. You must have permission of home owner to carry in their home. Very good Castle doctrine law; it extends to anywhere you are legally allowed to be. Can use gun to stop a felony(not just fear of life) at night. That should cover most of the situations you might face.

Edit: Open carry only allowed when hunting or fishing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links