How to draw while your in your car? - Page 2

How to draw while your in your car?

This is a discussion on How to draw while your in your car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't drive cars, that's what I do!!! Last year when I had I car I kept beat up old G19 in the center console. Sold ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How to draw while your in your car?

Don't drive cars, that's what I do!!!

Last year when I had I car I kept beat up old G19 in the center console. Sold the car, and the gun to pay for school. Now I just have my P229 for EDC.

There are several options...
    Practice, with two hands, the removal of the seatbelt while clearing the weapon and avoiding the steering wheel.
    Prepare ahead of time to uncover the garment over the weapon and placement of the seatbelt around the weapon to ensure an easier draw.
    Or, as I usually do, when traveling to really questionable places, either take an extra gun (Ruger .357) and place it between the seat and console, or remove the EDC (Glock-36) and place IT between the seat and console.
    The most important factor is SA...it's difficult to defend something you don't see coming.OMOYMV
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you do a lot of driving, one other option that is really not as crazy as it sounds, is to just wear two holsters. I have a small cross draw holster that has a reverse cant. Without a gun, it rides almost flat against my belt. It's a simple matter to get in the car, remove the gun from the holster at the 4 o'clock position and slip it into the cross draw.

The holster looks like this

Last edited by Gene83; August 16th, 2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added photo
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you Mike and Concealed. Most acceptable and primary answers to this thread. IMO, when you are in your car that can move away, it is a long way from such a simple act to sitting in your car and trying to present a firearm with intent
    TN_Mike likes this.

كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

cmb
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    One other thing about SA while in your vehicle. The old saying, if you have not heard it, is worth saying again. When you stop behind a car at a light it is best to stop far enough back that you can clearly see where the rear tires on the car in front of you contact the pavement. This leaves enough room for you to get around that car if the need should arise and you won't be boxed in, such as if someone is walking toward your car with a weapon. Don't expect your fellow driver to be able to or even want to get out of your way if you are in danger and they don't appear to be.
    i also avoid the middle lane when stopped, I prefer an outside lane where I have an escape route if needed...
    TN_Mike and Secret Spuk like this.
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

cmb
    this is also solved by a secondary gun on the ankle! 2 is... well you know...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Somewhere around a year or two ago, we had a member of the forum who had a guy approach his car and IIRC grabbed him thru the window and started to assult or choke him. This happened on a very rural, isolated gravel road in Utah. He struggled to get to his EDC, which was behind his seatbealt. Since that incident, I have installed this in my truck. Made by Crossbreed and the holster is backed by velcro, and they supple a huge sheet of sticky velcro to put on the car or where-ever you want to put it.
    Attached Images
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for all the ideas guys...I wear IWB so to clear my clothes, seatbelt, etc seems like it'd be tough but I'll just have to practice...Ideally I'll just use my 5.8 liters to get outta there
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

In my SUV, I have a 9 in the safe in the center console. When on the road, i take it out and place it on top of the safe, but with the console lid resting on top of it. I can get it out fast. My EDC carry is at 3;30, but it clears the belt and I can get at that one also.
    That said: If I am just "going to the store" relitively close by,( like 5-10 min away), I will not bother with the 9, it stays locked up. If on a longer trip with few stops, I can put the 9 (or the 642) inbetween the seat and the console in a old cut up gun rug, and it does not show from outside, even after exiting the car.
    I do go on a long trip with by buddy to NC and Va twice a year in his car. He is OK with guns but doesn't carry. I have the 642 either in pocket carry or IWB, and the 9 in the glove box. When on his property in NC, open carry, because the main problems are bears and other preditory animals. His property is 40 acres in really rural country.

If your state does not require that a CCW holder have the weapon on his person while driving, or locked up, try my method.

Get one of those cheap IWB holsters that looks like velvet or sued. They are cloth.

Cut the threads that hold the belt clip so that you can remove it.

Get some really heavy duty wide velcro.

Attach velcro to the holster and the mating half to the cloth upholtery between the drivers and the center seat.

Mine is mounted just in front of the seat belt buckle.

This gives you the set-up for a very very fast draw in an emergency.

I remove my weapon from my belt and place it between the seats as I enter and retrieve it just before I open the door at the destination.

Also in this location, it is secure in the event of anything other than a major crash.

How to draw while your in your car?
    I prefer magic markers to crayons.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

The K.L. Null Nullvam Crossdraw "Driving" Holster solves the problem.
    Holster E.jpg Holster C.jpg Smith&Wesson1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    The K.L. Null Nullvam Crossdraw "Driving" Holster solves the problem.
    Holster E.jpg Holster C.jpg Smith&Wesson1.jpg
    I would hate to be the person wearing that when I get into an accident. Seat belts are designed to distribute the blow across your hips, and that looks like it's in exactly the wrong spot.

[QUOTE=oldcurmudgeo;2009817]If your state does not require that a CCW holder have the weapon on his person while driving, or locked up, try my method.

Get one of those cheap IWB holsters that looks like velvet or sued. They are cloth.

Cut the threads that hold the belt clip so that you can remove it.

Get some really heavy duty wide velcro.

Attach velcro to the holster and the mating half to the cloth upholtery between the drivers and the center seat.

Mine is mounted just in front of the seat belt buckle.

This gives you the set-up for a very very fast draw in an emergency.

I remove my weapon from my belt and place it between the seats as I enter and retrieve it just before I open the door at the destination.

Also in this location, it is secure in the event of anything other than a major crash.[/QUOTE

Brilliant, I like the concept
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links