How to draw while your in your car? - Page 3

How to draw while your in your car?

This is a discussion on How to draw while your in your car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TN_Mike Just best to floor it and get the heck out of dodge and then reassess the situation. +1 My 45 ACP ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How to draw while your in your car?

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Just best to floor it and get the heck out of dodge and then reassess the situation.
    +1

My 45 ACP = 230 grains

my vehicle=31,500,000 grains

My standard answer to these questions:

If you see trouble coming and can drive away, then drive away

If you see trouble coming and cannot drive away, then GET OUT of the vehicle and fight on foot. Unless your vehicle is armored, it will not stop bullets - indeed, it is a bullet magnet. Even if you do not get hit with bullets, you can get hit with spall (shrapnel) from your vehicle's structure.

If you get caught by surprise while inside your vehicle, then you do what you gotta do.

Firing from inside a vehicle should be avoided if at all possible. The noise alone can cause injury to your hearing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

My personal recomendation is the second gun. Preferably a medium sized revolver. Placed in the vehical and accessable while driving. Or a shoulder holster may work.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I usually have my .45 in my left hip-pocket. I'm left handed (which is a plus), but it also keeps my right hand free to steer/shift while I am making my escape if at all possible. Or (when in the fiancee's car) I have my .45 in it's holster at 5:30 and a .357 in the glove box- easier to have her open the glove box while I try to find a way out than it is to draw from 5:30 AND try to find a way out at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Somewhere around a year or two ago, we had a member of the forum who had a guy approach his car and IIRC grabbed him thru the window and started to assult or choke him. This happened on a very rural, isolated gravel road in Utah. He struggled to get to his EDC, which was behind his seatbealt. Since that incident, I have installed this in my truck. Made by Crossbreed and the holster is backed by velcro, and they supple a huge sheet of sticky velcro to put on the car or where-ever you want to put it.
    Can't tell you how happy it makes me to see that third pedal... I'm pretty sure it's a Ford. F-150?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by juliandelph View Post
    I would hate to be the person wearing that when I get into an accident. Seat belts are designed to distribute the blow across your hips, and that looks like it's in exactly the wrong spot.
    It's a "Driving Holster", place it in any spot you want. My picture is of the spot I carry when "not driving".

I have one of these NRA holsters. They fit practically any gun. I keep the gun in this on the seat beside me or in the center console. I can't bear to drive with a gun sticking me in the side. This holster is great. My gun is in it more than any other when it's not on me personally (on the nightstand, for example).

Here's another NRA holster specifically made for the car. I do not own this one.

Another good looking NRA car holster.

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...7&p=SA%2022685

Ankle carry inside of left leg...

Often there is a weapon in the center counsel that is easy to get to as well...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    this was just covered in a training course i took at work for vehicle operations, righties, rotate your body towards the window and lean forward, bring your right hand down, grasp your cover garment at the same time you grab the seatbelt and pull both up at the same time, then draw the weapon, lean back and to the right as far as you can to get a better firing grip and bring the muzzle up and over the steering wheel, then fire. Its easier to demonstrate than tell. So here is Instructor Rob Pincus to show you what I mean.

Defensive Shooting in a Vehicle - YouTube
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    this was just covered in a training course i took at work for vehicle operations, righties, rotate your body towards the window and lean forward, bring your right hand down, grasp your cover garment at the same time you grab the seatbelt and pull both up at the same time, then draw the weapon, lean back and to the right as far as you can to get a better firing grip and bring the muzzle up and over the steering wheel, then fire. Its easier to demonstrate than tell. So here is Instructor Rob Pincus to show you what I mean.

Defensive Shooting in a Vehicle - YouTube
    That is exactly what I was talking about. I'm a righty, so I lean forward and to the left, draw as close to normal as I can.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Well Rob is a great instructor, We watched his training video in the classroom as a group, then we went to the range and practiced it with an old truck we bought from a junkyard and an old crown vic, like an 80's era, that still had the lights and everything for simulation, and ran it with simunations, works like a charm
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Over all though, I really wouldn't want to try to draw and fire while in my car.
    A) If you are already in the car and it is running I would say it is best to just try to get the heck out ofthe danger area and to try to engage in a gun fight while you are immobilized in the car, strapped in and a sitting target.
    B) I have fired a gun inside a car. (in training) and even with very good hearing protection on, firing a cun in the enclosed space of a car hurts. With no muffs on I can easily see it causing enough hearing damage to at least momentarily disorient you and take you out of the fight or make you even more of a sitting duck.
    C) If you have to fire through a window, which you most likely will, the glass flying around could blind you and take you out of the fight as well.

Just best to floor it and get the heck out of dodge and then reassess the situation.
    Not disagreeing here, but I've had quite a different experience. I've fired through a windshield in training on 3 occasions, twice with a 10.5" mk18 (5.56). Just wearing Surefire earpro, I had no issues with the sound (not saying it wasn't loud). I've fired a handgun once through a windshield in training and had no issue with the sound, it was a 45. The other thing I noticed that was interesting at first, was no glass really shattered anywhere, just punched holes with a little debris that didn't contact me. What did happen was my vision was thrown off at first once the glass spiderwebbed around the holes. So, for me, there was no glass flying back and no issues with hearing with both the Surefire plugs and electronic muffs with either my SBR or handgun. I've worked from vehicles numerous other times as well without shooting through glass.

Now, when I fired a handgun in defense inside a vehicle once (windows were up), there was no distraction at all due to the noise and I was 100% completely focused on the task at hand, which was eliminating the threat so I could get out of the car. I was not affected in anyway by the shot itself.

My hearing is pretty good and was probably a bit better 12 years ago during this incident.. So, just another perspective on the whole thing. Also, unfortunately, we can't always choose another option, like driving away. Sometimes these things happen so fast, it's in progress before you're even aware of what's going on. Someone shoving their handgun through your window at a light or in a line can give you little room to work. I always leave enough space to move, but sometimes it's not always the answer, though definitely the solution I'd prefer.

- Oh, when I'm driving, I tuck my shirt behind my gun. My car has the sport package with the adjustable side bolsters, so I open them up for most of my driving (I have two personal settings depending on my driving "mood"). Even with the supportive seats, I can still easily draw my handgun. I carry a Glock 17, so there's a bit to grab onto as well.

ETA - Just wanted to add here that I'm not disagreeing or discounting TN_Mike's post, I just have a different experience. Having been through a carjacking/kidnapping, I view it a particular way and feel strongly about it….. so with that and my current line of work, I've spent a lot of time training in and around vehicles with handguns, sub-guns and ARs, botA friend of mineh suppressed and unsuppressed.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; August 23rd, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links