How to draw while your in your car?

This is a discussion on How to draw while your in your car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you draw your weapon for us righties who wear it at 3 or 4 o'clock? The seatbelt covers it right up, presumably would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How to draw while your in your car?

How do you draw your weapon for us righties who wear it at 3 or 4 o'clock? The seatbelt covers it right up, presumably would you unbuckle and then draw or is there an easier way that I'm missing? Or does one just assume if there's an issue you just drill the gas and get out of there?
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    "One on my hip, one in the glovebox" (.45/.357)

"Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I wear at 3 o'clock and I draw just as I would when not in a vehicle. I don't see the problem.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'm able to do it in my car (Outback) without undoing the seatbelt, but it can be a hassle with cover. What I have done is taken a Galco paddle holster and removed the paddle. The holster sits between the seat and the console. I put the gun in it when I am driving around and on body when I am out of the car. Not the best solution, but it works for me.

I carry at about 3:30 to 4 o'clock and I have practiced drawing in my car while seatbelted in. In takes some practice to get it. I lean forward a little and to the left, this allows me to access the gun and I can draw. The real problem comes in when you are trying to bring the gun up and get it on target. The steering wheel tends to get in the way. I watched a good segment on Personal Defense TV where they went over this. Clint Smith demonstrated drawing and bringing the gun muzzle up and over the steering wheel to clear it.

Over all though, I really wouldn't want to try to draw and fire while in my car.
    A) If you are already in the car and it is running I would say it is best to just try to get the heck out ofthe danger area and to try to engage in a gun fight while you are immobilized in the car, strapped in and a sitting target.
    B) I have fired a gun inside a car. (in training) and even with very good hearing protection on, firing a cun in the enclosed space of a car hurts. With no muffs on I can easily see it causing enough hearing damage to at least momentarily disorient you and take you out of the fight or make you even more of a sitting duck.
    C) If you have to fire through a window, which you most likely will, the glass flying around could blind you and take you out of the fight as well.

Just best to floor it and get the heck out of dodge and then reassess the situation.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I loosen my Belt a bit (wilderness tactical easy fit) and slide my rig forward just a bit. It does two things:
    1-keeps me from rubbing the oversized center console
    2-gives me ample room to draw if needed.

Then just before I exit the truck I slide my holster back into position and tighten my belt.
    It sounds like a process but with the wilderness belt it only takes about 3-seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Just best to floor it and get the heck out of dodge and then reassess the situation.
    I LIKE MIKE... It comes down to situational awareness. I carry my primary weapon at 4-5 o'clock and it isn't coming out easy or fast when sitting in a car. I have unholstered my weapon while sitting in my car due some questionable characters coming towards my vehicle. Fortunately it was a false alarm. It did however make the higlight reel of my oldest sons vacation memories.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Unhook the seat belt with my left hand and draw with my right. If there's a gunfight, I'm not planning on remaining strapped in place anyway.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I wear at 3 o'clock and I draw just as I would when not in a vehicle. I don't see the problem.
    I'm with Guantes, no problem drawing while buckled in.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

One other thing about SA while in your vehicle. The old saying, if you have not heard it, is worth saying again. When you stop behind a car at a light it is best to stop far enough back that you can clearly see where the rear tires on the car in front of you contact the pavement. This leaves enough room for you to get around that car if the need should arise and you won't be boxed in, such as if someone is walking toward your car with a weapon. Don't expect your fellow driver to be able to or even want to get out of your way if you are in danger and they don't appear to be.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; August 16th, 2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: video refernce deleted.........
    cmb likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

About the time he got to my window, he's shot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

When I'm seated the gun falls just behind the seatbelt, normal grip, straight up rotate swing above the steering wheel and it's out the left, can point straight right or extend over the steering wheel for in front of me.Whenever possible I'm aware I'm in command of a 3k lb weapon and use that or get out.

Glock Certified Armorer

I agree with TN_Mike's suggestion on the gap you leave between you and the vehicle in front of you, but I carry it a step farther. I want the distance (which is about what Mike stated) such that I can perform the exit maneuver with one motion out and one motion back, if required, done with either individual hand. This frees my other hand, should it be required for other activities.
    TN_Mike and JDE101 like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Several years ago myself and several others did some training and experimenting with this very thing. We learned alot from it.

It was a force on force drill with Simuntions and different scenarios. The scenarios were mixed up so you really didn't know if you had to shoot or not. We all wore facemasks and a couple of the scenarios were duplications of events that actually happened that resulted in serious injury or even death by cop or death to cop.

One thing that we noticed, hands down that wearing a holster in crossdraw was the quickest and most efficient. It didnt get fouled as much, it was natural to draw, the draw put the gun right on target with reduced movement and the off hand could be used to fend off a blow from a tire iron or whatever. Moving the body to the right, allowed some cover using the window frame so that a stroke with a tire iron was mostly negated by the fact that the small window area reduced the effectiveness of the blow.

Basically,moving to the right, drawing and firing while use the left hand to fend off blows was pretty effective and it beat the heck out of trying to draw from the holster either in the waist band or over the waistband. Drawing and presenting the gun on target was problematic. Several shot their arms, the car door, and everything except the badguy.

The scenario was this...you rolled up on a stranded motorist who was changing a tire. As you stopped he stopped what he was doing and approached the vehicle. He either asked for help, or he did what actually happened to some cop somewhere...he started beating the cop with the tire iron. Of course, we didnt use a real tire iron we used a blue one made just for such training, and it was a bit easier on the skull if you happened to screw up and get popped.

Yes, you can draw from a seated postion while wearing a seat belt. It takes practice, usaully requires both hands to keep from fouling in the seatbelt or to clear the shirt, and requires more time and movement to be successful.

Weaing a crossdraw though, is quicker and more efficient because it takes much less movement. The gun is already pointed in the right direction, and in limited cases if one rolls to the right far enough the gun could be shot without withdrawing it from the holster. Although its not reccomended, if that is what you must do to live, then you must do what you must do.

Crossdraws are the way to go in a vehicle. Its more comfortable, its natural and it can be deadly to the wrong person that needed to be shot.
    wmhawth likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Safepacker...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links