How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

This is a discussion on How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Model 18 IWB Holster | Safarilandô That's my current holster, covers the trigger guard and everything and "clicks" into place but there's no retention system ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

Model 18 IWB Holster | Safarilandô

That's my current holster, covers the trigger guard and everything and "clicks" into place but there's no retention system like the hood, snap or ALS. Just for piece of mind I put it on and have ran, jumped, everything trying to see if the gun would dislodge and it doesn't so that's comforting. It's just so ingrained in me (probably from my parents since I've always been a hunter and my parents aren't) that you never load a gun inside...but I'll keep carrying it for longer and longer in my house with one in the pipe and hopefully that'll cure my concern. I even practice with my M&P airsoft gun in the holster to draw safely and acquire the target and everything, I may be a little over cautious but I have a healthy respect for firearms and know what they're capable of so better that then ending up putting a round in my rear.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

2. Remove Ads

You say you are familiar with guns, so I hope you have hunted in beautiful Wisconsin. If you have ever hunted with a loaded shotgun, you have carried the equivalent of a cocked and locked 1911. It just doesn't look as scary. There you are afield, carrying a chambered and hammer cocked gun on safe. Except you don't have a holster to protect the safety and trigger, and help you keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

You really should be worrying about the giant neon sign over your head with an arrow pointing at you the says "GUN" the first few weeks you carry in public.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    You say you are familiar with guns, so I hope you have hunted in beautiful Wisconsin.

You really should be worrying about the giant neon sign over your head with an arrow pointing at you the says "GUN" the first few weeks you carry in public.
    From September 1- about January 15th I hunt about every weekend. It's a confusing feeling because I have a loaded gun on me quit often (when I'm hunting) but for some reason having it inside just seems very different. I don't know, I'll get over it and get used to it I'm sure, I won't be able to legally carry until Mid December anyhow since it'll take awhile to get my actual permit so I have some time to get over that apprehension.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

I would say...seek additional training. Buckeye .45 and TN_Mike are spot on. Time and practice will help you get over your fear. Having a good, quality holster made specifically for your gun (i.e. NOT Uncle Mikes) that keeps your gun secure and the trigger covered should alleviate your concerns.

Your gun isn't going to go off by itself.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    If you are concerned, perhaps this will help:

Carry all day in your home, with the chamber empty but the gun otherwise ready to shoot (Condition 1 on a 911, striker back on a Glock, etc). Put it on in the morning and leave it alone all day.

Note at the end of the day that the hammer / striker has not fallen.

Repeat as needed.

Matt
    Gforty likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

with almost any gun, revo or pistol the key to being safe is to never, ever touch the trigger until you are going to fire the weapon.
    learn and live by that and you should never have a safety issue

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    I haven't carried yet, November 1st for WI...but I know I need to have one in the pipe to save precious seconds but I've been around guns all my life and am a very avid hunter. It seems really weird for me to load a firearm inside of my house much less carry one into buildings. I know it won't just go off and all that but it just seems so wrong since it goes against 13 years of gun safety that's ingrained into me. Today I put on in the pipe and holstered it around my house just for like 10 minutes then took it out and unloaded it and carried it around empty to get used to how it feels and everything...Any tips about getting over this? It won't bother me out and about outside but having a loaded firearm inside just feel really weird for me.
    Hey there. I know exactly what you are saying. I have been carrying now for not quite two weeks and still am apprehensive to carry one in the chamber.
    So far here's what I've been doing to work up the courage - I know the gun won't go off without pulling the trigger...I'm well aware of that. Instead, I've been carrying with a clip in and unchambered. I have a striking pin on my Springfield, so I know my gun is cocked. I come home everyday and it's still cocked. Also, I have been practing drawing with the previous mentioned technique and my gun still is cocked, therefore telling me if my gun were to be loaded, no negligent discharges have happened yet. Just keep practicing with whatever makes you feel comfortable.
    I know some people say, "it's pointless to have a gun with out it being chambered," "You're just carrying around a 3 pound weight for protection," so forth and so on. The way I see it, is I would rather be comfortable with carrying one in the chamber instead of worrying about it. Take whatever time and method it takes for you to be at ease. If at the end, you still don't feel comfortable, don't do it. All you can do is practice and educate; whatever the result may be, so be it. :)

Real simple rule,Hold your trigger finger up,look at it,now,there's your safety!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Practice, practice, practice safe handling with an empty chamber. Handle your firearm repeatedly throughout the day - holstering, unholstering, mag drops & reloads. That's how I got over my 'issue' of carrying one in the pipe. I decided after a year of that (without an accidental trigger pull) that when my permit arrived, I would keep em' chambered.

Now, the only time there isn't one in the pipe is after I've emptied the mag during range time or when I'm cleaning my pistols.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

to all you newbies, I understand your fears about carrying with one chambered, but people have been doing it for 100 years, carrying a revo is no different, the revo is "chambered" , the only way to get over the fears is to do it.
    Might I also suggest that you new carriers find a good self defense trainer and take a class or 2, learn the basics of carrying, drawing and firing. carrying a gun is useless and could be dangerous to yourself if you don't know how to operate your new tool.
    did you start driving without a lesson or 2? same concept

That lasted a few days when I first started. It should go away :P

apprehension is a good thing

Apprehension is a good thing because it keeps us from becoming careless. There are worse things than carrying a gun without one in the chamber. For instance, wouldn't it be worse to be so over confident of the drop safety on your glock that you routinely toss it across the room when you unholster it? I know the drop safety is designed for just such a thing, but anythig made by man can fail. I think being a little more cautious when dealing with something capable of taking a life is great.

As others said, try carrying your gun loaded with a snap cap.. Check it everyday when you unholster and eventually you will start to feel more comfortable. Never lose the little voice in your head that keeps telling you that you have a deadly weapon on you and that it demands respect.

TedBeau -

Well said thought about apprehension. I know accidents happen, but, I believe that is the difference between the majority of stories such as, "Gun falls from waistband and discharges," compared to the 95% of the well trained responsible people in the country. Respect.

My beretta has a very comfortable ambidexterous safety that easily deactivates at ease whie pulling out of the holster. SEE IMAGE BELOW
    Attached Images

a glock like gun in good working order should never fire because it fell and hit the ground

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links