How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe? - Page 5

How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

This is a discussion on How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at my model 18 Safariland holster I assume this is what you would all refer to as a safe holster to carry my S&W ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

Looking at my model 18 Safariland holster I assume this is what you would all refer to as a safe holster to carry my S&W M&P in right? I think I need to get out dry fire drills too and just NEVER pull the trigger on my pistol unless I am actually shooting it.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Looking at my model 18 Safariland holster I assume this is what you would all refer to as a safe holster to carry my S&W M&P in right? I think I need to get out dry fire drills too and just NEVER pull the trigger on my pistol unless I am actually shooting it.
    Yes, that appears to be a good quality holster, and it completely covers the trigger. I think you are good with that holster.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I thoroughly believe the guys that carry without one in the chamber have little understanding of how these encounters go down. Things happen in a flash and even when they don't, many don't have the training or mindset to react with immediate and overwhelming force. I can't even count how many times someone has said they hesitated because they just couldn't comprehend or accept what was happening to them. Add in little training to know training and an extra step to ready your weapon and it's a recipe for disaster.

I wonder how many of Richard Ramirez's (the nightstalker) victims thought they'd have enough time to get to the safe and chamber a round... Unfortunately, they never had the chance as they'd wake up to him in their room.
    I completely agree with this. I had to draw my gun for real in January 2009. It happened so fast that I did not have time to draw AND rack the slide. I barely had time to draw and index. If I had needed to actually manipulate my gun to get it into a loaded state so it could then be used to defend my life, assuming I did not fumble that maneuver and jam my gun, I would have died in a Sam's Club gas station in South Memphis Tennessee. Instead, I beat the gang member to the punch and he RAN as fast as his 3 sizes too large baggy pants would allow him.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Wear it every minute you are at home and continually practice drawing and re-holstering while keeping your booger hooker perfectly straight.

Being a FIB and having a Pennsylvania LTCF means I'll be lawfully carrying in Cheeseland on November 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalleye View Post
    Wear it every minute you are at home and continually practice drawing and re-holstering while keeping your booger hooker perfectly straight.

Being a FIB and having a Pennsylvania LTCF means I'll be lawfully carrying in Cheeseland on November 1st.
    Haha the funny thing is that even though I'll have a Utah permit, you'll be able to carry here before I will be able to since I'll have to actually get my WI permit before legally being able to carry since I'm a resident.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Nike says, Just do it.
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I completely agree with this. I had to draw my gun for real in January 2009. It happened so fast that I did not have time to draw AND rack the slide. I barely had time to draw and index. If I had needed to actually manipulate my gun to get it into a loaded state so it could then be used to defend my life, assuming I did not fumble that maneuver and jam my gun, I would have died in a Sam's Club gas station in South Memphis Tennessee. Instead, I beat the gang member to the punch and he RAN as fast as his 3 sizes too large baggy pants would allow him.
    This is the example. To the OP, put this in your mind...This is why we all carry. Thanks Mike for sharing. Glad your still with us.
    mprp likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Yes, that appears to be a good quality holster, and it completely covers the trigger. I think you are good with that holster.

You gotta love Memphis!

I can hardly wait to move back.

Just curious Mike, was this the Sam's on Getwell? (That's the one I used to go to.)

Easy, carry a revolver...

If that's just not your style then, don't ever lose that apprehension, but instead let it evolve to utter respect for the chambered round and you'll be fine. Complacency and the big head will be your worse enemies when it come to concealed carry. Like QKshooter said, "put it on and leave it alone" and if you take it off to fiddle with it, unload it. Other than that just know that it's a inanimate object and only functions at your behest...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I was never apprehensive of having a round in the chamber, so I reckon I cannot be helpful, as I have no experience "getting over" something that never existed, in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This is the example. To the OP, put this in your mind...This is why we all carry. Thanks Mike for sharing. Glad your still with us.
    Hear Hear! +1
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Ive thought of all these reasons and examples to carry chambered. One reason that hasnt been mentioned that I would like to mention, is a main reason I don't carry chambered.

What if in a store or even a fight and my gun is taken from me. You know the bad guy is instantly going to aim and pull the trigger. If it is unchambered I may have an extra few seconds to get cover. I know everyone is thinking "just dont get in a fight" but what if I'm in Wal-Mart and I bend over and some thug sees my grip on my Glock come out of my shirt. What if they follow me around and run up behind me and grab it, etc.

This thought makes me scared about walking around chambered.

Also, a Supertuck is safe enough for chambered carry right? I know the Kydex protects the trigger guard, but the kydex gives a little when being pressed on.... :/
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

One Word: HKP7M8

Not sure if that's one word, but it's the answer to the OP

It's also the answer to TrainerCB. How many BGs are going to figure out how to make it go bang?

And for goodness' sake, nothing is going to pull your trigger if it's in a kydex holster.

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    Ive thought of all these reasons and examples to carry chambered. One reason that hasnt been mentioned that I would like to mention, is a main reason I don't carry chambered.

What if in a store or even a fight and my gun is taken from me.
    you need to find a good SD trainer that can teach you how to properly use your weapon to defend yourself
    there are many ways to present the weapon in a way that it is very unlikely for it to be taken from you.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you need to find a good SD trainer that can teach you how to properly use your weapon to defend yourself
    there are many ways to present the weapon in a way that it is very unlikely for it to be taken from you.
    +1

trainercb,
    Think about what you're saying a minute. SD situations usually happen extremely fast and with little warning. During such times of extreme duress you may not "remember" or have time to rack the slide.

"IF" you do not have a round in the chamber, you give the BG a greater advantage. In fact, an empty chamber may even "HELP" the bg have enough time to take your firearm away. (Then the BG could take all the time in the world to use your own gun against you.)

However, if you keep a round ready to go, you'll be more likely to prevent this from happening because a round or two CM will usually put and end to an attack fairly quickly.

Like apvbguy said, being properly trained in using "close ready" or other retention technique can help you more than not carrying a round in the chamber.

-

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post

What if in a store or even a fight and my gun is taken from me. You know the bad guy is instantly going to aim and pull the trigger. If it is unchambered I may have an extra few seconds to get cover. I know everyone is thinking "just dont get in a fight" but what if I'm in Wal-Mart and I bend over and some thug sees my grip on my Glock come out of my shirt. What if they follow me around and run up behind me and grab it, etc.

This thought makes me scared about walking around chambered.

Also, a Supertuck is safe enough for chambered carry right? I know the Kydex protects the trigger guard, but the kydex
    gives a little when being pressed on.... :/
    In this case, with all due respect, perhaps you should not be carrying a firearm in the first place.

If a bad guy snatches your weapon, finding cover will not likely save you. You simply do not have enough of a head start, and running a slide is not a very mysterious action to most bad guys these days, who have grown up in the era of autos. If a bad guy tries to snatch my weapon, Plan A is to move toward him, to either retain the weapon, snatch it back from him, or keep the muzzle directed away from me while using an alternative method of deadly force. A gunfight is a fight in which a gun is present. Physical force and contact should be expected. Plan B is to create distance, along an erratic path if possible, while drawing another weapon, and that secondary weapon had better darn well be set up to fire ASAP!

The only time I do not have a round under the hammer, is when I happen to be toting a revolver with a traditional SAA firing mechanism. (This is a rare event; not daily carry.) In this case, of course, the act of cocking the hammer does bring a loaded chamber in line with the firing pin.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links