How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

This is a discussion on How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rexster In this case, with all due respect, perhaps you should not be carrying a firearm in the first place What? Why ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    In this case, with all due respect, perhaps you should not be carrying a firearm in the first place

What? Why should I not carry a firearm because that is a concern?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    What? Why should I not carry a firearm because that is a concern?
    You seem to be more afraid of your own weapon than you are of an attacker. You seem to have a defeatist attitude. I am meaning this as constructive criticism, and sincerely hope this can be remedied. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I simply took your earlier words at face value.

I wear a badge and a gun for a living. I cannot be afraid of my weapon, and I must not be defeatist. I am also a field trainer and evaluator, and while I am known as being very easygoing in those roles, I am firm in the area of safety and survival, and will be blunt if necessary. Therefore, my bluntness in response to your words.

Perhaps you are merely over-thinking this, and are not defeatist. I sincerely hope this is the case. That leaves fear of your weapon as a problem to resolve.

I started hand-gunning in 1982 or 1983 with a 1911, and keeping one in the chamber was normal from day one. I still carry autos at work, though they are DA. I have always respected that chambered round, and have never had an
    unintended discharge with an autoloader.

all I meant was it has crossed my mind that someone could see my weapon and maybe overtake me from behind me when I'm not looking in a crowded space. I'm not afraid of my weapon; however, I am very new to being legally allowed to carry a weapon and maybe its just being so new to me, that thought has crossed my head.

My father used to open carry until one occasion one afternoon in a McDonald's when 3 thugs were behind us in line talking extremely loud about how they could take his gun from him if they wanted it. He stopped open carrying after that. My thought, is what if they didnt say anything aloud and just attacked him at once from behind? I admit I'm not some super-human-ultra-ninja-mega-psychic-warrior like everyone makes themselves out to be on here, so I would not be expecting it if I were my father and the guys very quickly grappled me for the gun. Also, I have a coworker who hangs with a rough crowd. Just the other day he told me that some of his rough friends were bragging that they took a guys gun from him off his hip. I don't know the whole story, and maybe the guy wasnt responsible with his firearm, i dont know. All I was saying was that the thought has crossed my head and I was basically wondering if anyone else has had that thought.

I'm not afraid, but I am the first to admit that I'm in experienced, which I try desperately to change by regularly shooting and checking this site a thousand times a day. Rexster, thank you for your constructive criticism, it has made me re-think my atitudes. Thank you for serving on the frontlines every day. Nothing but respect
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

your story is spot on and why I would never consider OC for myself. carrying concealed gives me a small edge over a BG. it may cost me .5 second on the draw but the element of surprise is worth something

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    trainercb, I respect your thoughts, too, and am glad you are being candid, and open-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    You seem to be more afraid of your own weapon than you are of an attacker. You seem to have a defeatist attitude. I am meaning this as constructive criticism, and sincerely hope this can be remedied.
    I believe there is a distinct difference between fearing a weapon and respecting a weapon. I'm not afraid of my weapon, but I respect its capabilities and therefor treat it with respect and don't do stupid things with it. An example of somebody who does not respect their weapon would be those who like to point it at their own and pull the trigger to demonstrate the safety.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I believe there is a distinct difference between fearing a weapon and respecting a weapon. I'm not afraid of my weapon, but I respect its capabilities and therefor treat it with respect and don't do stupid things with it. An example of somebody who does not respect their weapon would be those who like to point it at their own and pull the trigger to demonstrate the safety.
    are you trying to imply that carrying a gun with a round chambered is stupid?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    are you trying to imply that carrying a gun with a round chambered is stupid?
    Where did you get that? He's simply (or not) trying to illustrate the difference between someone being respectful, and someone being stupid ie: pointing a gun at someone and demonstrating a safety feature.

While it's easy to jump on the bandwagon, don't read too much into things and try to make a big thing out of nothing. He did not in any way, shape, or form indicate that anyone carrying with a round in the chamber does not respect their firearm.

NOW, EVERYONE KEEP THE THREAD ON TOPIC!

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    I haven't carried yet, November 1st for WI...but I know I need to have one in the pipe to save precious seconds but I've been around guns all my life and am a very avid hunter. It seems really weird for me to load a firearm inside of my house much less carry one into buildings. I know it won't just go off and all that but it just seems so wrong since it goes against 13 years of gun safety that's ingrained into me. Today I put one in the pipe and holstered it around my house just for like 10 minutes then took it out and unloaded it and carried it around empty to get used to how it feels and everything...Any tips about getting over this? It won't bother me out and about outside but having a loaded firearm inside just feel really weird for me.

One of the things that I did for my own peace of mind was -- with an unloaded pistol -- practice holstering and unholstering with varying levels of sloppiness to see what it would take to get an accidental trigger pull. I couldn't make it happen and concluded that good finger discipline goes a long way toward avoiding accidents. Just follow the rules we all learned and don't get too casual.

Carried tonight with a round chambered as I was cleaning up the shop and counting money alone, and it felt great. Also felt good going to our local Wal MArt (thats known as the craziest one in the area) at 10:30 with one in the chamber and ready to rock and roll.

I guess to get over the apprehension you just have to trust your skills, your knowledge, and with ultimate respect of the weapon, just simply get used to doing it.
    -George Washington

I've been carrying loaded around my house off and on (still live with parents until I get married in May) so I just do it when they aren't home and it's becoming much less scary and I'm really getting used to it...I realize my finger won't just twitch into the trigger guard or anything when I arm and disarm...I also stopped doing try fire exercises and only practice drawing and shooting with my airsoft M&P replica...it's a great way to practice moving and firing until I can get onto a farm and do some livefire practice
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    +1 to the above.

If you are carrying a modern semi-auto handgun, you need to realize that it is DESIGNED to be carried with a round in the chamber. The only way it will go off is if the trigger is actuated. If you carry the gun in a quality holster, one that covers the trigger guard and holds the gun securely, the only thing you need to do is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire the gun.
    this post bears repeating since it covers everything you need to know and do
    practice carrying it around the house to get used to the feeling and to realize the hammer won't drop unless YOU drop it
    are you using a cheapo piece of crap gun? if not then you're good

Now some pep talk for ya.....I carry with one in chamber all the time with no reservations on and off duty. I carried a few years before becoming a cop. ALWAYS use a holster as stated above. Soon you will be ok. Just know that I get in/out of my patrol cars dozens of times during a shift, bump the holster on doors, furniture, people, etc, get in footchases, fights, roll around on the ground with dirtbags occasionally and the pistol has never fired. If you do your part correctly the gun/holster will do its part correctly.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    Carried tonight with a round chambered as I was cleaning up the shop and counting money alone, and it felt great. Also felt good going to our local Wal MArt (thats known as the craziest one in the area) at 10:30 with one in the chamber and ready to rock and roll.

I guess to get over the apprehension you just have to trust your skills, your knowledge, and with ultimate respect of the weapon, just simply get used to doing it.
    One thing you should NOT be doing in order to train or make yourself feel more comfortable while carrying chambered is to intentionally put yourself in a less safe predicament or environment. Confidence (in carrying chambered) does not trump or override the necessity and your obligation to stay safe by avoiding places and circumstances that may increase the likelihood of needing your weapon.

In other words, don't count money alone if you don't have to or go to the "craziest Wally World at 10:30 pm" just because you are CC-ing and feeling great about having one in the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    One thing you should NOT be doing in order to train or make yourself feel more comfortable while carrying chambered is to intentionally put yourself in a less safe predicament or environment. Confidence (in carrying chambered) does not trump or override the necessity and your obligation to stay safe by avoiding places and circumstances that may increase the likelihood of needing your weapon.

In other words, don't count money alone if you don't have to or go to the "craziest Wally World at 10:30 pm" just because you are CC-ing and feeling great about having one in the pipe.

obviously.

i had to do these things and after my discussion with rexster, realized the gun is useless without one in the pipe. I only wrote the above post earlier to say that it felt good and different to know my reation time would be shorter if I had to draw my weapon. I'm not going to not do something I need to do when I have every right to do it
    -George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    I haven't carried yet, November 1st for WI...but I know I need to have one in the pipe to save precious seconds but I've been around guns all my life and am a very avid hunter. It seems really weird for me to load a firearm inside of my house much less carry one into buildings. I know it won't just go off and all that but it just seems so wrong since it goes against 13 years of gun safety that's ingrained into me. Today I put one in the pipe and holstered it around my house just for like 10 minutes then took it out and unloaded it and carried it around empty to get used to how it feels and everything...Any tips about getting over this? It won't bother me out and about outside but having a loaded firearm inside just feel really weird for me.
    A little late, a bit of a cliche, but...
    Just Do It!
    We are creatures of habit, after a while it will be second nature.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links