How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

This is a discussion on How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a reason that I don't carry with a round in the chamber. It is not because I am scared to have one in. ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 112
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

  1. #91
    Senior Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,135
    There is a reason that I don't carry with a round in the chamber. It is not because I am scared to have one in. I know my safety fundamentals, and I don't intend to ignore them.

    With my job, I must, constantly, enter public buildings. Since I am in GA, there is no way I can carry inside. I must lock my firearm (currently in the glove box, but I am looking at safes) in the car before I go inside. This requires me to unholster, lock it up, take it out, and reholster it. This is extremely aggravating, but it must be done. Sometimes, I must do this multiple times in a single day. I am trying to minimize my chances of an AD by choosing to not chamber a round. A part of me really wants to carry with one in the chamber, but I am still apprehensive about it.

    Because of this issue, I got to thinking about my girlfriend, as well. She is a teacher, and for months we have been talking about getting her a gun and permit. She drives 30 minutes away, through bad areas, in the country, with little or no cell phone reception. On school property, the gun must be in a locked compartment in her car, and she will require a CCP to do so. This means she would have to transfer the gun from her purse (she won't carry on her person) into a safe, or her glove box, on a daily basis. For her, we are looking at revolvers.

    I could use some serious advice on these situations. What is the best coarse of action? Chamber a round, while knowingly, I will handle my gun on a daily basis? What about my GF? For some reason, revolvers seem less "scary" in this situation than an auto. Maybe it is because of the heavy trigger, but I feel that is just a mental thing.

    So... What would you do?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #92
    Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MichiGUN
    Posts
    950
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    obviously.

    i had to do these things and after my discussion with rexster, realized the gun is useless without one in the pipe. I only wrote the above post earlier to say that it felt good and different to know my reation time would be shorter if I had to draw my weapon. I'm not going to not do something I need to do when I have every right to do it
    Easy there amigo...I'm on your side, remember? The way you wrote what I responded to made it sound like you were "lookin' for it". I agree, that your NEEDING or HAVING to go to "the craziest Wally World @ 10:30" is your "right". But unless you ran out of insulin or some other live saving medication due to poor planning, I don't see any good reason to be trolling around WW while packin'.

  4. #93
    New Member Array Hokieforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Blacksburg VA
    Posts
    9
    So just out of curiosity, what is the general consensus of having one in the chamber with the safety engaged. I am going to be carrying a PX4 Storm, and I am trying to decide how exactly I should carry it. One in the chamber is a most definite, but I am still caught up on whether or not I should leave the safety on or off.

  5. #94
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokieforlife View Post
    So just out of curiosity, what is the general consensus of having one in the chamber with the safety engaged. I am going to be carrying a PX4 Storm, and I am trying to decide how exactly I should carry it. One in the chamber is a most definite, but I am still caught up on whether or not I should leave the safety on or off.
    That can go either way, I know of people that do both with that kind of safety, the slide mounted safety/decocker is not very intuitive as it requires your thumb to travel upward when what it's going to want to naturally do is travel down. With the hammer de-cocked and the safety off, it's like carrying a Sig or DAO auto that does not have the safety. Beretta used to have a model (G?) that had a spring loaded decocker that would return automatically to the "fire" position after de-cocking the hammer.

  6. #95
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211

    Cool

    Welcome to the forum Hokieforlife.

    My son and money went to VT Class of 88.

    When I carried 3rd Generation S&W autoloaders I chambered a round, decocked then put the safety in the fire posistion like JD was referring to.

    Long double action pull on the first shot then single action from then on. No need to disengage safety to fire.

    If you decide to go that route just make sure that you are decocking after you complete firing so that you are not reholstering with the weapon in the single action mode.

    I carry Glocks now so my decision is made for me.

    I prefer the same trigger pull for every shot and no external safety to worry about.

    OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  7. #96
    New Member Array Hokieforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Blacksburg VA
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for the input JD and Old School! I will probably be carrying with one in the chamber with the safety disengaged as I feel I would be more prepared this way.

    Class of 88 you say?! I actually graduated from VT in 2010 and I am currently at VCOM (the medical school right next to Tech). I love the Blacksburg area, GO HOKIES!!

  8. #97
    74
    74 is online now
    Member Array 74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hermit's Peak
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    There is a reason that I don't carry with a round in the chamber. It is not because I am scared to have one in. I know my safety fundamentals, and I don't intend to ignore them.

    With my job, I must, constantly, enter public buildings. Since I am in GA, there is no way I can carry inside. I must lock my firearm (currently in the glove box, but I am looking at safes) in the car before I go inside.
    So... What would you do?
    You certainly make sense- you're acting in a way that you are comfortable with according to your circumstances.

    If I were you, what I would do is mount a small safe in your vehicle. Find a holster that can be taken off and put on with the gun still in it. That way you can remove it, put it in the safe, and then put it back on all without actually handling the gun itself.

    I have a Stack-On PDS-500 drawer safe bolted to the floor under the rear seat of my truck, works great for this type of thing.

    109_0929.jpg
    tcox4freedom likes this.

  9. #98
    New Member Array shikaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2
    I haven't read the entire thread, but being a new Permit to Carry holder with a similar background I felt the same was as the OP. I carry a M&P 45c with no safety IWB. I have carried for almost two months with a loaded mag and empty chamber until I had a comfort level with the firearm and with carrying in public. Just recently I started carrying the firearm with a round in the chamber and it has not made me nervous. You have to remember that your firearm is inert until you choose to use it.

    Having the appropriate gear has helped as well. I use a CompTac M-TAC holster, and I have a NanoVault mounted in my vehicle.

    My advice is, build up your comfort level however you see fit. What worked for me, may not work for you.

    Hello from Duluth by the way ;)
    tcox4freedom likes this.

  10. #99
    Member Array xXMens ReaXx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    Carried tonight with a round chambered as I was cleaning up the shop and counting money alone, and it felt great. Also felt good going to our local Wal MArt (thats known as the craziest one in the area) at 10:30 with one in the chamber and ready to rock and roll.


    I guess to get over the apprehension you just have to trust your skills, your knowledge, and with ultimate respect of the weapon, just simply get used to doing it.
    Exactly. This and training IMO. Take classes, carry everday, etc.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

  11. #100
    Member Array HoganLongfellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Way down south
    Posts
    109
    i'll admit I'm still going thru my nervous phase with one in the pipe on my M&P. I was a revolver guy, and the trigger just feels SO light on the semi-autos to me. I have an LCP that is always chambered, b/c to me the trigger pull feels so much heaver. I just feel like the trigger on the S&W is so easy to pull...

    I'm starting to come around, but it kinda freaks me out especially since there are no other external safety's besides my finger haha

  12. #101
    Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by marklind View Post
    i'll admit I'm still going thru my nervous phase with one in the pipe on my M&P. I was a revolver guy, and the trigger just feels SO light on the semi-autos to me. I have an LCP that is always chambered, b/c to me the trigger pull feels so much heaver. I just feel like the trigger on the S&W is so easy to pull...

    I'm starting to come around, but it kinda freaks me out especially since there are no other external safety's besides my finger haha
    One important thing you can do with firearms that have no safety is use a holster that can be put on & taken off with the firearm safely in place.

    Most people don't realize that a good holster is more than a way to carry your firearm. (A "good" holster "IS" a safety device.) The same thing can also be said about a good "gun" belt.
    WHEC724 and TSiWRX like this.

  13. #102
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    One important thing you can do with firearms that have no safety is use a holster that can be put on & taken off with the firearm safely in place.

    Most people don't realize that a good holster is more than a way to carry your firearm. (A "good" holster "IS" a safety device.) The same thing can also be said about a good "gun" belt.
    Much truth here. Attached is a photo of the holster that I use with the G26. It stays chambered and in the holster until I go to clean it or take it to the range. Otherwise, it stays in the holster and goes in the safe at the end of the day.
    Attached Images
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  14. #103
    Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cleveland/Shaker Heights, Ohio - USA
    Posts
    1,275
    ^ I'll "third" that, too.

    When I know that I will have to arm/disarm due to "no-guns" areas, I wear holsters that I can take off and put-on easily and safely, while I'm in the vehicle (our laws here in Ohio allows for this), without my having to remove the gun from the holster.

    The less gun-handling, the better.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

  15. #104
    Member Array beckavebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    54
    I couldn't agree more with RKM. I carry a Glock 19. I don't want anything being in the way of me being on top of situation that may save my life, including an external safety, let alone having to take the time to chamber a round. A friend LEO told me once when I questioned him about how he felt from a safety standpoint with a round in the chamber and no external safety raised his index finger and said " this is the only safety I need or want" that might make the difference weather I go home tonight or not.

  16. #105
    Member Array beckavebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    54
    I'm probably not posting this in the right place but can you tell me if the SIG 250 has a drop safety. Thank's Bob.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can you pull a firearm to apprehend someone
,

carry with one in the pipe

,
carrying px4 storm with one in the chamber
,

carrying with one in the pipe

,
get over apprehension
,
how to carry a concealed pipe
,
how to carry fnp9 with chamber loaded
,

how to get over apprehension

,

how to unchamber a glock

,

how to unchamber a round

,

one in the pipe

,
sig p238 cocked and locked unchamber
Click on a term to search for related topics.