How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

This is a discussion on How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't carried yet, November 1st for WI...but I know I need to have one in the pipe to save precious seconds but I've been ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

How to get over apprehension of having one in the pipe?

I haven't carried yet, November 1st for WI...but I know I need to have one in the pipe to save precious seconds but I've been around guns all my life and am a very avid hunter. It seems really weird for me to load a firearm inside of my house much less carry one into buildings. I know it won't just go off and all that but it just seems so wrong since it goes against 13 years of gun safety that's ingrained into me. Today I put one in the pipe and holstered it around my house just for like 10 minutes then took it out and unloaded it and carried it around empty to get used to how it feels and everything...Any tips about getting over this? It won't bother me out and about outside but having a loaded firearm inside just feel really weird for me.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

2. Remove Ads

The only way to get over it is to do it. Eventually you will realize that your firearm will not go off, unless you pull the trigger.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

+1 to the above.

If you are carrying a modern semi-auto handgun, you need to realize that it is DESIGNED to be carried with a round in the chamber. The only way it will go off is if the trigger is actuated. If you carry the gun in a quality holster, one that covers the trigger guard and holds the gun securely, the only thing you need to do is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire the gun.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; August 15th, 2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I agree with both of the previous posts. The more yo do it, the more natural it will become.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Actually for the most part you are following the gun safety rules, you are not pointing the gun intentionally at someone or something, you are not loading until ready to use"carrying equals use" you are keeping your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot and you are are not handling firearms while being intoxicated. The rules are very fluid and sometimes must be broken in order to carry safely, carrying and shooting are different things
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Practice, practice, and more practice will build your confidence that the gun won't go off unless it is physically manipulated to make that happen. Intellectually, consider that hundreds of thousands of sworn law enforcement officers carry loaded weapons everywhere, indoors and out, every day.

I never had any gun safety training that mandated never having a loaded gun inside a building... but the Four Rules were always emphasized.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Time helps, carrying without one in the chamber around the house will get you more used to feeling not just knowing it's not going to go off on it's own, load a magazine of snap caps and carry it around the house all weekend, see if that puts you more at ease. Eventually you'll be able to do it and not worry or think about it. And this is also where quality holsters are key, I can trust a good quality strong durable holster to keep that trigger guard safe, there's many on the market I refuse to touch because they don't protect the trigger from inadvertent action.

Based on your signature, I see you're a M&P guy, the thumb safety if you don't have it already might put that extra piece of mind there, but I'm a Glock guy and I've learned to get used to it, follow the 4 rules all the time and it won't go off.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others said, proper technique and good practice (and more practice) is the cure - as-is taking classes that will help you get over your reservations.

Here, locally, one school actually require that you attend their 2-hour classroom (with 1 of those hours being dry-fire practice, under strict supervision) "Holster Techniques" course as a pre-requisite to their live-fire handgun courses. It's not to make money: they've got somewhere around a half-dozen instructors, and charges only $20 for the class - really, it's just to make sure that everyone has good, safe technique drawing and holstering.

That kind of a class, combined with an 8-hour day of repeatedly taking your ready-to-rock firearm out of the holster, shooting, and then returning it to your holster will work well to take the fear and doubt out of your mind.

Carry around the house with it loaded/one in the chamber in a good holster and get used to it.

If you put the gun into a good holster and don't touch it, it can't go off. If you pull the gun out of the holster and don't pull the trigger, it can't go off. If you are uncomfortable with it at first, time should cure it.

If you are totally uncomfortable with it, well a gun without one in the chamber is still better than one you leave at home. Although some will disagree with that.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

RKM
    I'm more afraid to carry without one in the chamber.

I have a whole heard of Glocks I pick one or two and carry everyday, no safetys. As said above keep your berger picker off the trigger and its all good. Oh, good holster is a must as well.

I have to admit though, it does take getting used too.

Tip do what you've been doing just with out the safety in your routine. You are the safety.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    +1 to the above.

If you are carrying a modern semi-auto handgun, you need to realize that it is DESIGNED to be carried with a round int he chamber. The only way it will go off is if the trigger is actuated. If you carry the gun in a quality holster, one that covers the trigger guard and holds the gun securely, the only thing you need to do is keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire the gun.
    ^^^ This!!!! ^^^
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I have a whole heard of Glocks I pick one or two and carry everyday, no safetys. As said above keep your berger picker off the trigger and its all good. Oh, good holster is a must as well.

I have to admit though, it does take getting used too.

Tip do what you've been doing just with out the safety in your routine. You are the safety.
    A Glock, while it may not have a grip or thumb safety, has three safetys. Not saying it to correct you but one of them saved my life one day. Trigger Safety, Firing Pin Safety, Drop Safety. Side note, never try to catch a falling gun, the drop safety will work.

Glock Certified Armorer

Do it, take some time and don't worry, you will get used to it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I was the same way. Then I read a few stories about how one in the pipe would have made a difference. I have ben carrying with one in the chamber ever since and do not even think about it even more. Racking the slide is just one more delay in the process of defending yourself. Would you drive your car with the seatbelt around you but not locked in place? When/If you need your sidearm you need it ASAP. Think about this, what if you only have one hand to defend yourself? How will you chamber a round? I carry with one in the chamber with the safety on and practice drawing and releasing the safety in one motion (unloaded of course) When/if you ever need it you will be glad you did. Be confident in your carry style or don't carry at all...my $.02.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links