hide in plain sight

hide in plain sight

This is a discussion on hide in plain sight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Concerning concealed carry techniques and practices, I have read many opinions ranging from "the sheep are not looking for it and never notice" to "maybe ...

Thread: hide in plain sight

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

hide in plain sight

Concerning concealed carry techniques and practices, I have read many opinions ranging from "the sheep are not looking for it and never notice" to "maybe no one has let on they see your not-so-concealed weapon, but lots probably have noticed".

Here's an example on the "never notice" side I observed today.

Today around 10:00, my wife did a bit of volunteer work at a replica sod house in the company of a man and woman who were dressed and "in character" as a couple of pioneer-types living in circa 1880 Colorado. I went for a walk on the prairie from 10:00 to 12:00, then arrived at her spot where I saw that the man was wearing a big western-style leather gunbelt and a good-sized period revolver with about 3 inches of barrel sticking out of the holster. It was a left-hand draw shoved around so it hung on his right side with the butt facing forward.

An amusing aside: the guy bent over messing with some gear and I noticed that the protruding muzzle swept me, my wife, his partner, and probably everyone else within 50 meters---but it was properly holstered. Also probably not loaded, but of course we must assume it was.

The point: as my wife and I were walking to the car, I commented on the butt-forward position of the revolver. She hadn't even noticed that the guy was openly carrying a revolver, even after being close to him for 2 hours!

Assistant Administrator
    Well - if guns around is not too strange then perhaps no biggie that is was not seen.

I think it was less ''not seen'' as ''did not register''. I am tempted tho to think that also perhaps your dear lady wife was not practicing good condition yellow, or she would have registered it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    Concerning concealed carry techniques and practices, I have read many opinions ranging from "the sheep are not looking for it and never notice" to "maybe no one has let on they see your not-so-concealed weapon, but lots probably have noticed".
    Interesting point...I've been carrying concealed for about a year and a half, and I "think" that I've been made once (possibly...still not sure )...on the other side of the coin, I haven't spotted anyone that I was positive was packing in that time...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I open carry at work (XD45Tac in a Serpa holster) and I'm amazed at how many people don't notice. They might walk past me or stop and talk to me and don't notice. Then when they finally do notice they say Oh wow I didn't know you carried a gun, what's that for?

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Interesting point...I've been carrying concealed for about a year and a half, and I "think" that I've been made once (possibly...still not sure )...on the other side of the coin, I haven't spotted anyone that I was positive was packing in that time...
    About the same span for me. As far as I know, no one has noticed mine. Not counting IDPA and IPSC venues, in that time I have seen only one not-so-concealed weapon. A guy dressed like a biker had the lower end of a kydex holster sticking out below his denim vest at 4:00. Based on other cues, I suspected he was a LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I am tempted tho to think that also perhaps your dear lady wife was not practicing good condition yellow, or she would have registered it.
    I strongly agree. She did show some spunk when a guy snatched her purse a few years ago, but it's not her nature to anticipate bad things. (I had been advising her for years to not carry a purse; after hers was snatched, she took that advice.)

I've been in LE for over 10 years. Out of habit, I always glance at waistebands, ankles, buldges in outerwear and the like. So, I usually know who is carrying. But the average Joe will not pick up on these things. Others who carry besides LEOs will also be more likely to take notice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I carry routinely, either in a IWB ,or a shoulder holster. It's hot and humid here in the south. Most of the time there is minimal cover garment being used. I don't dress too sloppy, and so far I've never been made. With all the cell phones, pda's in use today not too many people notice a buldge here or there. What draws attention to yourself is acting like you have something to hide, or that you are doing something wrong. I'm not ashamed that I'm packing, and I don't feel as if I'm doing something wrong. So people don't even notice me much.

I agree with AnimalKracker, attitude is important in establishing an aura of "good" or "bad" conduct. We notice those amoung us who are out of character and tending to draw attention to themselves. I have often thought that someone was acting strange and paid more attention to that individual until I figured out what the problem was. This is,in part, a product of situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    I open carry at work (XD45Tac in a Serpa holster) and I'm amazed at how many people don't notice. They might walk past me or stop and talk to me and don't notice. Then when they finally do notice they say Oh wow I didn't know you carried a gun, what's that for?
    Interesting, but since TX is not an open carry state, how do you get by with it? Maybe you do not work in TX?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM
    Interesting, but since TX is not an open carry state, how do you get by with it? Maybe you do not work in TX?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    I'm a security guard. The rules are different. Security guards have to open carry. They are not allowed to conceal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief
    I agree with AnimalKracker, attitude is important in establishing an aura of "good" or "bad" conduct. We notice those amoung us who are out of character and tending to draw attention to themselves. I have often thought that someone was acting strange and paid more attention to that individual until I figured out what the problem was. This is,in part, a product of situational awareness.

+1 Attitude has A LOT to do with it. I open carry quite a bit around home. Not one person has has said a word about it. (well the gal in the coffee shop says shes glad to see it.....)
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    When I get up in the morning, I remove the pistol that is either beside the place that I'm sleeping, or from under the pillow. Get dressed and carrying is part of dressing. It is usually on me until I undress, sometimes very late at night. Then I usually have one or more within reach. Where ever I go, I go as If It's me that should be there. Project the force, use it to your advantage.

Hide in Plain sight

I carry in a small cell phone holster pouch. I've had a couple people ask me what was in the zippered pouch behind my cell phone. My response is "just a little emergency preparedness kit". So far no one has pursued the issue any further and I haven't had to tell anyone my kit is a Kel-Tec P3AT. The pouch just fits the gun and is so small no one would ever suspect it housed a gun.

Links