Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe?

This is a discussion on Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by livewire9880 Why not carry into the gym? I always have. SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters Exactly. This is when scandium jframes are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Why not carry into the gym? I always have.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    Exactly. This is when scandium jframes are there most useful for me. Unless you can block bullets with a 45lb plate I don't see a reason to go unarmed in the gym.

I have known people in a local gym that were having affairs with someone they met there. I've seen confrontations with the upset spouse in the gym. They aren't immune to domestics. Just sayin.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

I carry in a fanny pack while working out. I would NEVER leave my gun in my locker (had mine broken into twice at LA Fitness in Orlando), and NEVER leave a gun in my vehicle that I am not present. In Florida, thugs break into cars looking for ONE thing......you got it....firearms locked in the car by the owners while they are working out.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I carry in a fanny pack while working out. I would NEVER leave my gun in my locker (had mine broken into twice at LA Fitness in Orlando), and NEVER leave a gun in my vehicle that I am not present. In Florida, thugs break into cars looking for ONE thing......you got it....firearms locked in the car by the owners while they are working out.
    them Orlando thugs is smart!
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

In Florida, just like everywhere else, they look for ONE thing. Money.

Or stuff they can sell for money.
    A firearm is just a bonus, because it can be used to make more money... either by selling it, or by threatening ppl with it in order to get their money.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Exactly. This is when scandium jframes are there most useful for me. Unless you can block bullets with a 45lb plate I don't see a reason to go unarmed in the gym.

I have known people in a local gym that were having affairs with someone they met there. I've seen confrontations with the upset spouse in the gym. They aren't immune to domestics. Just sayin.
    Ya know... I carry my Springfield XD-40 subcompact in mine with a spare full-size mag and it's super comfortable. I prefer to carry IWB everywhere else, but a smartcarry with gym shorts pretty much leads to carrying anything. Some people that have Smartcarry holsters think they're the ultimate carry rig... I feel that it's more or a niche product for when wearing a belt is impractical. Going to the gym, running, and other activities where carrying a gun belt and proper holster is unusual or uncomfortable for example.

I also have a habit of going to gyms late at night because that's when it's most convenient for me. I usually walk, but even when I drive the parking lots usually aren't the best lit places in the world. I hate changing at the gym, so I'm generally wearing my workout clothes when I leave the house.

In Florida, just like everywhere else, they look for ONE thing. Money.

Or stuff they can sell for money.
    A firearm is just a bonus, because it can be used to make more money... either by selling it, or by threatening ppl with it in order to get their money.
    I guess the County Sheriff that relayed the story at my gym of gun seeking thugs breaking into cars must have been totally incorrect then. He only lives and works in Florida and also is a member of my gym, so there probably is no chance he has a clue of what he is talking about. I'll be sure to tell him that a member here from Washington says he is full of crap.
    Illegal guns? Worth more than gold.

This is Florida. Enjoy your stay...but be nice. Guns? Everyone got 'em.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I guess the County Sheriff that relayed the story at my gym of gun seeking thugs breaking into cars must have been totally incorrect then. He only lives and works in Florida and also is a member of my gym, so there probably is no chance he has a clue of what he is talking about. I'll be sure to tell him that a member here from Washington says he is full of crap.
    Illegal guns? Worth more than gold.

This is Florida. Enjoy your stay...but be nice. Guns? Everyone got 'em.
    You make my point. While they might be searching for guns, their ultimate goal is to get things they enjoy. Whether it be big screens or crack cocaine, ultimately everything comes down to money.

As the economy worsens, and the illicit markets expand, we need to know our enemy. Our firearms happen to be the most valuable items per square inch that we own in the eyes of the criminals that are increasing in number and aggression every day. They also happen to be the most useful tool in defense against the very threat that wants them in the first place.

You make my point. While they might be searching for guns, their ultimate goal is to get things they enjoy. Whether it be big screens or crack cocaine, ultimately everything comes down to money.

As the economy worsens, and the illicit markets expand, we need to know our enemy. Our firearms happen to be the most valuable items per square inch that we own in the eyes of the criminals that are increasing in number and aggression every day. They also happen to be the most useful tool in defense against the very threat that wants them in the first place.
    Would it be too much to ask for a citation backing up this wild assertion?

I know you guys enjoy an echo chamber of hype and group-think, but this is currently not borne out by facts and federal statistics. This *may* be changing, but currently, I have found no facts to support this hypothesis.

I also noted one fellow in another thread basically saying "statistics be damned." Hey, you can believe anything you want, and I am not trying to convince anyone the world is "safe". But it makes for more interesting and beneficial discussion if one can avoid baseless hype and fear-mongering.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

I know you guys enjoy an echo chamber of hype and group-think, but this is currently not borne out by facts and federal statistics. This *may* be changing, but currently, I have found no facts to support this hypothesis.

I also noted one fellow in another thread basically saying "statistics be damned." Hey, you can believe anything you want, and I am not trying to convince anyone the world is "safe". But it makes for more interesting and beneficial discussion if one can avoid baseless hype and fear-mongering.
    Well, there you go ruining everyone's fun again. I'll bet nobody ever shares their fishin' stories with you.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Well, there you go ruining everyone's fun again. I'll bet nobody ever shares their fishin' stories with you.
    So true, Gene. I actually want to measure the damn fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

Flash mobs, anyone?

I'm not a statistician, but the fact is that we have more prisons than ever in history, and they're all over capacity and over budget. Criminals are being released earlier in their sentences, and at the same time law enforcement budgets are being cut as state and local economies follow the trend our federal economy has.

It's also true that crime rates have gone down at the federal level, and they go down faster in areas that allow civilian carry of firearms. It seems to me that if the tendency for criminality was going down, that firearms ownership rates would have very little to do with it. Instead what's happening is the areas where the targets have teeth, crimes against the civilian population are done with a little more caution.

I also have trouble accepting the statistics parroted out to us by the government and the news at the national level. What's the old quote? There are lies, damn lies, and statistics? None of the news agencies seem to get similar numbers, and even if they did all it takes is one story on something that you're intimately familiar with to see how little they know about what they report.

I'm a computer and network guy. News agencies have almost as little understanding of technologies in their reports as the producers of CSI.

Perhaps you might better understand it from a more relevant perspective:

One thing I do know is that I see a lot more news hitting my phone from the alerts I subscribe to that involve crime in the last year or so. It used to be all traffic alerts and local politics. That's all still there, but now I'm seeing more and more in the way of robberies, officer involved shootings, and the occasional criminal being shot or driven off by someone with a legally carried firearm.

Not to mention the violence on the other side of our southern border. It's starting to leak through smaller holes. That means that the people that are getting through are more likely to be the simple people looking for work and more likely to be drug runners, returning gang members, and other sundry nefarious characters.

I'm not worried about things collapsing or anything... but I'm a little more wary than I used to be.

So, the short answer is you base your assertions on anecdotes and news stories. You believe the media if the story supports your hypotheses, then doubt their credibility when the storyline doesn't align with your thinking. That's OK, we all tend to do that. Just don't call the conclusions you draw from them "facts".

You may be too young to remember how the news organs hammered on the burgeoning numbers of "homeless" in America, and used anecdotal coverage to bash President Reagan almost weekly. The number of homeless had spiked back then specifically because of federal legislation that turned druggies, drunks, and crazies loose from institutional stewardship. Those same news agencies praised that new law as humanitarian.

Your "flash mob" incidents (other than the London riots) have yet to call for the use of lethal force, even if you'd like to shoot someone who throws a punch at you or steals a handful of Cheetos and Slim Jims.

I've seen that chart. It's been circulating around on the intertubez for a long time.

To try to bring this thread back to it's original question. Yes, I carry into my Gym, it's not posted. Don't carry during the actual workout as the hardware / holster is not compatible with a lot of the machines. When entering, I go to the locker room and to one of the restroom stalls. Un holster and place the equipment in the bottom of the gym bag. Change clothes and lock it in the locker. Leaving is the reverse, dress go to the stall and holster up. Don't really want to holster directly in the locker room since it would surely alarm some of the Sheeple. A number of the local LEOs also work out at this Gym and store their firearms in the lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by chjtoken View Post
    A number of the local LEOs also work out at this Gym and store their firearms in the lockers.
    Yeah, if the LEOs do it, it must be a great idea....too funny.

This was the case with Fairfax County, VA about two years ago if I remember correctly. I'm too lazy to use my Google-fu to look it up. The crooks found out that the local LEOs preferred the 24-hour gym near Manassas, got a membership under a fake name, and went in and jacked the lockers while the cops were working out. Stole a bunch of cop guns, and even did it more than once. Fairfax County no longer allows their officers to lock up their sidearms in the gym locker room anymore.

Now there are a bunch of police Glocks in some dirtbags' waistbands in Baltimore and DC.

I locked my pistol in my locker exactly once. Spent the whole time watching the locker room door and worrying about it, so I haven't done it since.

I have yet to find a workout or machine that isn't compatible with my carrying a firearm with the proper gear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links