Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe?

This is a discussion on Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Around here, crimes around gyms and where people work out, have gone way up ..... because they know they are likely to be unarmed. The ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe?

Around here, crimes around gyms and where people work out, have gone way up ..... because they know they are likely to be unarmed.

The crimes have been of 2 types:
    1. robbery of the person as they are leaving the place (& tired)
    2. breaking into cars and stealing guns left in the vehicle while the owner is inside.

So, I have enough equipment to work out at home and also save the membership dues.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

gun safe in your car

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Around here, crimes around gyms and where people work out, have gone way up ..... because they know they are likely to be unarmed.

The crimes have been of 2 types:
    1. robbery of the person as they are leaving the place (& tired) 2. breaking into cars and stealing guns left in the vehicle while the owner is inside.

So, I have enough equipment to work out at home and also save the membership dues.
    I always wondered what criminals thought. Gyms? Who knew? What do they hope to get off a guy leaving the gym? His gym bag with his sweaty socks and jock strap? Perhaps his wallet with a few bucks in it?

Wouldn't they be better served to roll a drunk, fat, tipsy out-of-town businessman leaving a downtown restaurant/bar? Why hit a local gym rat with muscles and a good cardiovascular system? Tired or not, your odds are far better with some random guy in a suit leaving Ruth's Chris' Steakehouse.

...and they target gym parking lots to get firearms? My gym has lights and security cameras in the lot.

Sounds like another invented crime spree to me...

Can you post an article from your local media about this? If these types of incidents have gone "way up" as you state, I am sure it's being covered in the news.

If you want to lock your gun in your car get a Center of Mass safe. Cable attaches to the car. Excellent quality.

If you want to bring the gun into the gym it's either SmartCarry or something similar. Or you've got to go with off body carry. Fanny pack, Versipack or something along those lines. I'm a fan of the UTG messenger bag. It's a copy of the Versipack.
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I always wondered what criminals thought. Gyms? Who knew? What do they hope to get off a guy leaving the gym? His gym bag with his sweaty socks and jock strap? Perhaps his wallet with a few bucks in it?

Wouldn't they be better served to roll a drunk, fat, tipsy out-of-town businessman leaving a downtown restaurant/bar? Why hit a local gym rat with muscles and a good cardiovascular system? Tired or not, your odds are far better with some random guy in a suit leaving Ruth's Chris' Steakehouse.

...and they target gym parking lots to get firearms? My gym has lights and security cameras in the lot.

Sounds like another invented crime spree to me...

Can you post an article from your local media about this? If these types of incidents have gone "way up" as you state, I am sure it's being covered in the news.
    I dunno, I can see gyms having soft (literally and figuratively) targets... most of the people that go to gyms aren't candidates for Muscle Weekly. Most of the ones at my local gyms have always been the people that really need to be there, and give up after a few months.

However, my reasons for carrying at the gym have little to do with being armed at the gym. I usually walk to the gym, and I prefer to go at night, where things are far more likely to happen than inside an access controlled building. I don't use the lockers because I go there in my gym clothes. If I put my pistol in the locker, it would be the only thing in it. Although, now that I think about it, I've seen some shady characters in the gym at night that gave me pause, but I never really gave them much thought.

I thought I would post my decisions and why. Thank you for all the advice and comments, on or off topic:)

#1. I will not carry in the gym: I work out in daytime; too hard to carry on machines and in sauna/shower; don't trust lockers.

#2. I bought a nanovault from gunsafe and will keep in car: hid this almost under the dash, underneath floor mat (they are custom so much longer than stock), cable and box is invisible; car is alarmed and has an engine immobilizer so while smash and grab possible, theft of entire car less likely (but not impossible).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links