Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe?

This is a discussion on Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plan to leave my gun in the car when I work out even thought I lock my stuff up in the gym locker - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe?

Glove box, gym locker or leave at home in safe?

I plan to leave my gun in the car when I work out even thought I lock my stuff up in the gym locker - pretty sure the chances of a second shooting outside an LA Fitness is pretty slim.

Curious if folks are comfortable leaving a pistol in your car, or would you leave it at home in the safe?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

look into getting a gun safe that you can bolt to your cars frame

Check out the options from GunVault. I have a MicroVault that I love and I cable it underneath the seat out of sight.

Posted from my Sprint Nexus S 4G via Tapatalk
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I don't mind if my car is stolen. If it is stolen with a gun in it you now have an armed car thief. Get a GOOD gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by nokaoi View Post
    I don't mind if my car is stolen. If it is stolen with a gun in it you now have an armed car thief. Get a GOOD gun safe.
    ... and drive around unarmed all the time?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

VIP Member
    Personally I'd carry into the gym and lock it in my locker. Odds are you won't ever need it going from or to your car, but you never know.
    Last edited by archer51; August 16th, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Get a car safe and you should be good to go.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Personally I'd carry into the gym and lick it in my locker. Odds are you won't ever need it going from or to your car, but you never know.
    That's just downright creepy.

All that aside, jacking lockers at gyms a very common type of crime. You also risk showing your piece as it goes from your person into your gym locker, making it even more likely you're the one who is going to come back to a missing firearm. My gym had me sign a form saying I cannot bring my sidearm into the gym for that very reason. I lock it in my gunsafe in my car when I workout.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    All that aside, jacking lockers at gyms a very common type of crime. You also risk showing your piece as it goes from your person into your gym locker, making it even more likely you're the one who is going to come back to a missing firearm.
    These were my concerns as well and I agree its not a good idea to take it inside.

I drive a 2 seater, no trunk. I cannot fit a microvault under the seat and there is nowhere to latch a cable lock so the gun safe would be loose. Honestly though, if the car gets stolen, when the thieves find the safe I reckon they will find a way to break into it and they end up with the gun anyway bolted, cabled or loose.

GunVault is the way to go. it has a cable that straps to the seat frame. it is virtually impossible to break into it.

Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    These were my concerns as well and I agree its not a good idea to take it inside.

I drive a 2 seater, no trunk. I cannot fit a microvault under the seat and there is nowhere to latch a cable lock so the gun safe would be loose. Honestly though, if the car gets stolen, when the thieves find the safe I reckon they will find a way to break into it and they end up with the gun anyway bolted, cabled or loose.
    My mother's locker at the gym she goes to was broken into years ago and her purse was stolen. Thankfully no weapons, but the crook tried to use her cards at several pawn shops buying jewelry. I would never trust a gym locker with a weapon.

The key is to figure out a way to secure some sort of a lock box in your truck. As my football coach in high school used to say "Find a way or make a way". The majority of vehicle break-ins are smash and grabs or joyrides, if you conceal the safe reasonably and then make it more trouble than it's worth to get into it you will deter most common crooks.

There is a video on youtube of someone back handing a gunvault and it popping open.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it's empty.

Why not carry into the gym? I always have.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    zonker1986 likes this.

Awhile back somebody on this forum had a gun stolen from a gym locker,If you use a combination lock they can make a pointed tool from an aluminum pop can and within a couple of seconds pop the locking mechanism
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links