Active Duty Mil CCW discount in FL?

This is a discussion on Active Duty Mil CCW discount in FL? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am still a resident of TX and was PCS'd to NAS Pensacola shortly after going active duty so I did not have time to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MattInFla

Thread: Active Duty Mil CCW discount in FL?

Active Duty Mil CCW discount in FL?

I am still a resident of TX and was PCS'd to NAS Pensacola shortly after going active duty so I did not have time to take my CHL class in Texas. There all active duty have their paperwork processing fee waived by the state and all you are responsible for are the actual class costs. Here in FL I can't find any info for it but its looking like its $117 + class no matter what. Am I just better off waiting for a time I take leave and get my CHL back in TX?

2. Remove Ads

if you have your dd214 you don't need to take a class, there is no discount from the fees

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^
    Clarification: If you have a DD214 showing "firearms qualification" (marksmanship ribbons, etc.) it is accepted in lieu of ccw class. Sounds like you are new to the service and may not have a 214. You need something to show you've received firearms training in the service, either pistol or rifle. 16" battleship guns don't count.

The fee remains the same ($117) but part of that is the fingerprinting. If you can get the proper form and have it done at the SPs, you may save yourself some additional $$.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

When I was stationed in FL, I just sent in a copy of the front of my ID card which was accepted as proof of training. However, here's what the actual instructions from the application form say:

"active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a
    firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service signed
    by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies
    you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;"

Your orderly room or equivalent can generate a quick statement of service. I believe that you can generate one in the USAF from the vMPF website. These have many other uses, including getting VA-secured home loans.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Awesome, thanks for the help guys!

Oh, forgot about the other part of your question. No discount for active duty, but you can get your fingerprints done by the base security police. Be sure that you note the address of the fingerprinting unit on the card per the instructions.

Finger Prints

You can use a 522 (showing you qualified on a weapon) instead of a DD214. You can also get everything done at once (picture, fingerprints and electronic filing) if you do it at a local Department of Ag office. In Fort Walton Beach there is one, I would assume there is also on in P'cola I had a six day wait until it showed up in the mail.

I have many colleagues at the base that have used their CAC cards (active duty) as proof of training and none have been rejected.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Base security does not do fingerprints for the purpose of CCW. When you go to the office they have a sign that explains this. This is for NAS Pensacola anyway.

Also, your ID card alone works perfectly. I just received my Florida permit this week. Took 10 days to get it back. But I also set an appointment and went to the Ft. Walton Beach regional office. My friend mailed his application and it took about 3 months for him to receive his. The appointment wait is usually about a month out, but you can always call and ask if they have any cancellations ahead of time. It's about an hour drive from Pcola but its a much more streamlined process and it will save you waiting time.

Quote Originally Posted by pikappant82 View Post
    Base security does not do fingerprints for the purpose of CCW. When you go to the office they have a sign that explains this. This is for NAS Pensacola anyway.
    Sounds base specific. I had no trouble at Patrick AFB, FL, Andrews AFB, MD, or Fort Meyer, VA. All were happy to help within the days and hours that the service was available. Ft. Meyer is like two days a week I think. Don't remember the rest.

Senior Moderator
    From a processing time standpoint, you're better off having the prints done electronically at the branch office than you are submitting a paper card.
    rolyat63 likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links