NM, AR, WA, NC, OH, MS, OK & WI Law Updates

This is a discussion on NM, AR, WA, NC, OH, MS, OK & WI Law Updates within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New Mexico and Arkansas have signed a Reciprocity Agreement. The State of NM has not announced this agreement yet but they are very slow at ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Gary Slider

Thread: NM, AR, WA, NC, OH, MS, OK & WI Law Updates

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

New Mexico and Arkansas have signed a Reciprocity Agreement. The State of NM has not announced this agreement yet but they are very slow at updating their website. AR DPS has updated their website and has added NM as a state they have signed with. You can see the listing here:
    Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services

Washington has added Tennessee to the list of states it will honor. Tennessee already honors all other states permit/licenses. You can see that listing here:
    Concealed Weapon Reciprocity

North Carolinaís new law (H650) will make NC another state that will honor all other states permit/licenses. It will also allow carry in more places (State Parks Etc) but does not go into effect until 12/1/11. I will update the NC page on that date to show the changes in their law.

Ohio Restaurant Carry Law has passed and they have changed their law about how a firearm must be carried in a vehicle. They have dropped some of the craziness from just how the firearm had to be carried. This new law does not take effect until 9/30/11.

Mississippi DPS has announced that they have certified Enhanced Instructors who can train permit/license holders for an endorsement to their permit/license that allows them to carry in many of the places off limits in Mississippi law. I have still not obtained information on how this will affect those who can carry in Mississippi with a permit/license Mississippi honors. They canít get an endorsement so all places in MS Law will most likely be off limits to those carrying in Mississippi under a reciprocity agreement.

Oklahoma has passed a new law that trims places off limits. This mainly opens parking areas and allows you to keep a firearm in your vehicle while on certain property. This new law does not take effect until 11/1/11. The OK Page will be undated at that time to show the change in OK Laws.

Wisconsin new carry law goes into effect 11/1/11 and on that date Wisconsin Residents can apply. They should by that time have a list of states they will honor. That list should be about 35 to 40 states long as they will honor any state that requires a background check to obtain a Permit/License. I have added a Draft Wisconsin Page to Handgunlaw.us providing all the info I have at this time on their new law.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Thanks for keeping up to date with everything Gary, your website is a great tool for those of us who carry.

I can't wait until the new law in Ohio goes into effect.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the updates Gary! Your website is an invaluable resource.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Great website. Thanks for putting this info out for us. Noticed in the TN section under carrying where alcohol is served you only list restuarants, not bars, and fher urtrecommend staying away from the bar area. Please check on that. My understanding is an amendment allows a permit holder to carry anywhere alcohol is served, BUT the permit holder can not consume any alcohol-nada, zip, etc. Unfortunately some ABC agents tell places they must maintain or re-post the old signage that prohibited any firearms where alcohol was served which creats confusion. The new law nullified that requirement. But they can post their restuarant or bar and signs bear the weight of law in TN.
    Again thanks for your work

I check your Site often, even though HR218 qualified, I have to know where you can't carry in each of the States.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The header to the Section says Carry In A Restaurant. That is the info we provide. Handgunlaw.us will not supply info on carrying in bars. If A person wants to find out those laws I have a link to their Statutes and tell them where in the statutes the firearm laws are located. They can look themselves.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Undersatood. Thanks, again for your info and continuing to provide it on your website.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Wisconsin new carry law goes into effect 11/1/11 and on that date Wisconsin Residents can apply. They should by that time have a list of states they will honor. That list should be about 35 to 40 states long as they will honor any state that requires a background check to obtain a Permit/License. I have added a Draft Wisconsin Page to Handgunlaw.us providing all the info I have at this time on their new law.
    Is there still a pre-draft page with the law as it stands now to go off of for transport and OC before 11/1?

Thanks for the updates I do use the site every time I travel.

Glock Certified Armorer

Sorry, The pre Draft page is not available. But do go to OpenCarry.org they have a much better description of the open carry laws than I had on Handgunlaw.us. They do a great job on open carry laws/regs.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Sorry, The pre Draft page is not available. But do go to OpenCarry.org they have a much better description of the open carry laws than I had on Handgunlaw.us. They do a great job on open carry laws/regs.
    I'll check it out, thanks for the lead.

Glock Certified Armorer

Sponsored Links