Jury duty questions - Page 3

Jury duty questions

This is a discussion on Jury duty questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kelcarry You are reading too much into what is going to be asked of you etal. First time in 100 years? Guess ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Jury duty questions

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    You are reading too much into what is going to be asked of you etal. First time in 100 years? Guess what? If you are over 65, you can tell them you do not want to serve---end of story. In, I believe, most if not all states, being 65 will allow you to avoid jury duty.
    I have the opposite opinion.

I will serve as many times as I am called.

The reason being that it is my hope that if I am ever a defendant in a criminal case or on either side of a civil case, I would hope that I draw a jury of decent people.

I would hate to be in that position and the jury be bums.

Go when called. Use your common sense and hope that the jury will be similarly composed if and when you are ever in trouble.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    The reason being that it is my hope that if I am ever a defendant in a criminal case or on either side of a civil case, I would hope that I draw a jury of decent people.
    No, you'll most likely draw a jury of people who, by and large, were too stupid to get out of it... They WANT dumb as rocks jurors who can easily be swayed.

If It's a death penalty case,after sentencing it is considered unjurydutional to yell DIBS on busting a cap in the convicted criminal
    INccwchris likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Any idea how they pick the names for jury duty? Voter registration, drivers license, vehicle registration? I've never been picked, but I'm a youngin'. I'm not looking forward to the day I get a notice in the mail.

One qualifier to be on a jury is, you have to be able to understand, communicate and read in English. ..... soooooo,
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I was selected out of a group of about 200 sheep herded into the waiting room to serve a six month term on the Grand Jury. Called once a month to hear evidence from witnesses called by the District Attorney who had built a case against the defendants in several capital murders. Once the Grand Jury voted "yes" that there was sufficient evidence to turn the case over for trial, the defendants were indicted for capital murder. Feels pretty good to be in a group of people doing your civic duty to help get some bad people off the street....for good.

Firearm ownership never came up in the jury selection process, but found out later that criminal background checks had already been performed on all that had been selected for the Grand Jury pool. There are no weapons allowed in the courthouse, so I went into withdrawl each time I had to appear.....only time in the last six years I have not been armed.

As far as being too stupid to get out of jury duty? Don't wiggle your way out of jury duty and then whine about the system. Being called for jury duty is one of the few times you actually get to be "the system".
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    Any idea how they pick the names for jury duty? Voter registration, drivers license, vehicle registration? I've never been picked, but I'm a youngin'. I'm not looking forward to the day I get a notice in the mail.
    Any one and/or ALL of those can get you in the jury pool. Establishing a record of your residence (county, usually) and age is all it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Firearm ownership never came up in the jury selection process, but found out later that criminal background checks had already been performed on all that had been selected for the Grand Jury pool.
    They don't need to inform you (and get permission) of a criminal background check before they do it? "Civilian/non-goobermint" requests for criminal background checks sure do...

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Oldcurmudg: Kindly read replies as written and then reply. Just want to set record straight on your reply---I said you can opt out of jury duty if you are over 65--I did not say that I do that. I agree with you--I actually enjoy serving and find it important that if I am picked, my opinion will be heard instead of a possible idiot alternate juror. My point was to the threadwriter--if this is such a big deal to him, with so much concern and if he is over 65, he can avoid this problem he seems to have with the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    They don't need to inform you (and get permission) of a criminal background check before they do it? "Civilian/non-goobermint" requests for criminal background checks sure do...
    good point....never really thought about that, but the members started talking among ourselves and trying to come with one common thread as to why were were chosen. Only common denominator? Not one of us had so much as a speeding ticket on our record in the last ten years. We be rare commoditites in Florida, so I guess maybe they just ran our DL and it came back no warrants? We all just assumed that a background check of some type was done on us before we were selected. We could have been mistaken....
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I've gotten three summons in three years. I just mail back a copy of my class schedule and I'm excused. It also doesn't help that I go to school four hours away from where I'm registered to vote.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The truth shall set you free!

Here in FL the personal info of CWFL holders is exempt from public record disclosure. I've been called for duty several times. Never asked about firearms, permits, etc. but they do ask you to list "organizations" to which one belongs. I always put "Faithful member of the NRA." I've never been picked. I wonder why.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You don't have to answer!

Where do many of us get the idea that you have to answer any question put to you doing jury questioning? Yes you are under oath and should tell the truth when you do answer a question. That does not mean you cannot refuse to answer.
    You do not give up your rights when picked for jury duty.

When I was on my first jury in 1972 I remember a prospective juror who got a bit upset with what she perceived as a very personal line of questioning towards her.
    The judge stopped the proceeding to inform her and the rest of the jury pool that you do not give up your rights when asked to serve. He pointed out that we had every right to refuse to answer questions.
    The lady was not picked for the jury but she did make her point with the help of the judge.

Michael

I was on a jury panel for a case that involved a thief who tried to rob someone by claiming to have a pistol. The "victim" had a concealed carry permit and pulled his weapon, holding the would-be thief until LEO's arrived. The defense lawyer asked each of us if we had a permit, or was planning on getting one. Pretty much everyone who answered yes was excluded.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    One qualifier to be on a jury is, you have to be able to understand, communicate and read in English. ..... soooooo,
    Nooooooo....comprende?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links