Jury duty questions

Jury duty questions

This is a discussion on Jury duty questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to serve my jury duty notice. This is actually the first time in 100+ years that I may actually have to sit ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Jury duty questions

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Jury duty questions

I am about to serve my jury duty notice. This is actually the first time in 100+ years that I may actually have to sit on a jury, so I really do not know what to expect.

What if I am asked whether I have a CHP or carry or own guns? I don't tell anyone I am carrying and only a few people actually know. I do not need strangers in a court room having any knowledge of that. Given Rick Perry's answers, I am wondering, can I answer something like, "it is a matter of public record. You can look it up." or "I would prefer not answering that question" or some other evasive answer?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    No. You would come off like a wise guy if you tried to dodge the question. Now, it is quite unlikely that is a question you would be asked.

I can't speak for how they do it anywhere but where I live, but for run of the mill cases you might get to answer a short set of fairly standard questions and some questions addressed to the group of prospective jurors as a whole.

I really think you are concerning yourself with something that won't happen, but if a question is asked you have an obligation to answer it straight, without evasion, and in strict truth.
    Buckj and MinistrMalic like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Can you say "Contempt of court"?

Answer the questions truthfully and then see where it takes you.

I can't see that question being asked during jury selection unless it is somehow pertinent to the case and considered to be an influencing factor in your ability to fairly serve as a juror. I would just answer the question truthfully if asked. If your answer disqualifies you as a juror for that trial you can go home having fulfilled your obligation. Pretty much a non issue IMO.

Senior Moderator
    If you dont want to serve wait untill they ask if anyone has any problems serving.
    Raise your hand and say" What is your take on jury nullification?"

They'll have you out of there so fast it'll make your head spin. Judges are scared to death of someone that knows and understands the concept.
    jfnixon, Naufragia and mhunter like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    The two times I have pulled jury duty that was not a question that was asked. Most questions dealt with knowledge of the case, any relations with the witnesses or the defendant. And since one was a capitol murder case there were questions on my attitude concerning capitol punishment. Just answer any questions truthfully after all it is up to the DA or defense counsel if they want to select you as a juror.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    And educate yourself on the concept of Jury Nullification!
    jfnixon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The two times I have pulled jury duty that was not a question that was asked. Most questions dealt with knowledge of the case, any relations with the witnesses or the defendant. And since one was a capitol murder case there were questions on my attitude concerning capitol punishment. Just answer any questions truthfully after all it is up to the DA or defense counsel if they want to select you as a juror.
    Yep, as was the case when I pulled jury duty. And I don't recall anyone else being asked that question as we were being picked either.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The four times I was called to serve on a jury only once I was asked my feelings on guns. My answer everyone should be given a gun and training. I only actually served on 2 juries.
    Diddle and garyacman like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My answer everyone should be given a gun and training.
    +1
    I would consider answering something, "why spend $65K / year of (my) tax payer money to incarcerate someone when you can get the job done for the cost of a 65 cent bullet?" Then again, I personally think prison would be worse than death.

My wife has been called for jury duty twice, but never served, since we moved into our current house. The second time was 2 years and 1 week after the first time. I have been told that once they get your name in the queue you can expect to be called every two years. She was just commenting on this a few days ago and said, "I'm sorry, but unless I can bring my guns I am not going anywhere near that parking deck by the court house and since you can't bring guns to court I guess I can't go". Seriously, she would fret and stew about it but would go only because it beat the alternative.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You are reading too much into what is going to be asked of you etal. First time in 100 years? Guess what? If you are over 65, you can tell them you do not want to serve---end of story. In, I believe, most if not all states, being 65 will allow you to avoid jury duty.

VIP Member
    I can only see a few circumstances where questions about guns might come up, and those would be in federal court not state. In any case, answer honestly and let the chips fall where they may.
    Diddle likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Unless the trial has something to do with weapon related violence, they should not ask you anything about firearms. The three times I've actually had to go in, I've been summoned five times, there were never any questions asked about anything not trial related.

If you don't want to answer the questions asked in voire dire (Q&A of potential jurors) phase, then the officers of the court should accomodate you. I've seen that done more than once.

Jury duty is a pain. Still, it's our civic duty to participate in it. Thankfully one of the three times I had to show up the trials settled prior to going through voire dire. I've served on two jurys now. One civil, and one criminal. It's actually pretty boring. Law & Order got the process down right, but, as a juror, you don't see most of what happens. You leave the courtroom fairly often at times as the opposing sides argue various items.

Never been ask that question,
    Just tell the Prosecutor or Defence Attorney
    that you agree with the rights that the Constitution provides me
    and leave it at that.

If the Judge asks you to answer the question than tell the truth, you
    have nothing to hide or be ashamed of.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    Depending on the court, your answers to Voir Dire are given under oath.

You should be able to figure it out from there.
    Pistology likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links