CCW in Military recruiter offices - Page 2

CCW in Military recruiter offices

This is a discussion on CCW in Military recruiter offices within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hk45c Late to the game, but most active and reserve offices are posted in some form here. National Guard offices however, are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW in Military recruiter offices

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Late to the game, but most active and reserve offices are posted in some form here. National Guard offices however, are not. The armories are. Really, the best and safest bet is to lock it in the car. It would suck to end your career before it starts. JMHO

Good luck brother.
    I believe the reason you don't find it posted at National Gaurd offices, is that they are state offices and not federal. Until pulled to active federal service they play under diferent rules.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My guess is that most of the NCO's or SNCO's in charge of the office won't rat you out.

Your recruiter is gonna lie to you and for you. If you aren't on your toes, you may be unexpectedly manipulated and have the path of your life significantly altered for years to come, possibly for the better. It's no reason to shoot him.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I believe the reason you don't find it posted at National Gaurd offices, is that they are state offices and not federal. Until pulled to active federal service they play under diferent rules.
    My mistake, that's the point I was making. I realise I didn't make myself clear. My point was OP didn't specify what component. Shoot the NG recruiters I know usually have something near by.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    However, Subsection (d)(3) states Subsection (a) does not apply when "the lawful carrying of firearms" when it is under "other lawful purposes".
    That is the same argument I have heard for being able to CCW in post offices. I don't personally care if somebody feels that this gives them license to carry in a post office. I always enjoy reading interesting news stories and arrests in the Metro section of the newspaper.

Admittedly I haven't been near a military recruiters office in almost 40-years so I would not know if they have/don't have bno guns allowed signs on them as do post offices.

Funny the way laws read and are interpreted. When I was a young Marine Sgt. fresh from Viet Nam and serving on recruiting duty in Southern California (what a dirty thing to do to a recent combat vet), my partner, a fellow recruiter, died in a flaming pick up truck. I won't go into the details here, but suffice it to say the media had a field day trying to make up all sorts of stories about how he died and why. Typical media trash about those 'out of control recruiters of future baby killers' and other garbage. We wouldn't allow them into our office with their cameras and intrusive questions so they went to court to force us to let them in since a recruiting office was a 'public office' and the 'people' had a right to 'their' office. The judge told the media to pack sand and that it WAS a federal office. The medias response on appeal?? Being a federal office made it a public office and they wanted in. The appeals court verdict?? PACK SAND!

I don't carry on a federal installation (to include recruiteing offices) just on general principle, even though my oath is as valid today as it was when I took it back in 1966. I'm STILL sworn to uphold that oath. Won't ever change.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    That is the same argument I have heard for being able to CCW in post offices. I don't personally care if somebody feels that this gives them license to carry in a post office. I always enjoy reading interesting news stories and arrests in the Metro section of the newspaper.

Admittedly I haven't been near a military recruiters office in almost 40-years so I would not know if they have/don't have bno guns allowed signs on them as do post offices.
    IIRC the statute posted in the USPS is a different one. A quick search returned just the argument you were referring to and the reason 18 USC 930 doesn not apply to the USPS Concealed-carry in a post office may lead to rude awakening

39 USC 410 exempts Post Offices from 18 USC 930 (being a statute dealing with Federal facilities in general.) 39 USC 410, specifically dealing with post offices, states:
    410. Application of other laws

Release date: 2003-06-24

(a) Except as provided by subsection (b) of this section, and except as otherwise provided in this title or insofar as such laws remain in force as rules or regulations of the Postal Service, no Federal law dealing with public or Federal contracts, property, works, officers, employees, budgets, or funds, including the provisions of chapters 5 and 7 of title 5, shall apply to the exercise of the powers of the Postal Service.

(b) The following provisions shall apply to the Postal Service:

(1) section 552 (public information), section 552a (records about individuals), section 552b (open meetings), section 3102 (employment of personal assistants for blind, deaf, or otherwise handicapped employees), section 3110 (restrictions on employment of relatives), section 3333 and chapters 72 (antidiscrimination; right to petition Congress) and 73 (suitability, security, and conduct of employees), section 5520 (withholding city income or employment taxes), and section 5532 (dual pay) of title 5, except that no regulation issued under such chapters or section shall apply to the Postal Service unless expressly made applicable;

(2) all provisions of title 18 dealing with the Postal Service, the mails, and officers or employees of the Government of the United States;
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links