CCW in Military recruiter offices

This is a discussion on CCW in Military recruiter offices within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guy im just trying to figure out the answer to this question as I have been finding some conflicting information. Theres nothing in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW in Military recruiter offices

Hey guy im just trying to figure out the answer to this question as I have been finding some conflicting information. Theres nothing in the Florida statutes about it and other discussions I've seen say that even though the recruiters are federal employees the office is run by the state so it is not defined as a federal building. Other statutes (oregon) I have seen say that a recruiters office IS a federal building and so CC is not allowed.

For what its worth there is no posting at the local recruiter

Sponsor
    A lot of people will carry everywhere unless the building is posted. (visible signs that say no weapons allowed). Recruiting offices can be found in many areas, from leased commercial buildings to National Guard and Reserve buildings. I believe if it is a military then you cannot carry there either. If it is a state building, you should be good to go unless it is posted (For instance courtrooms may be run by the state but typically firearms are still not allowed). Some states have laws that a lawful CCW permit holder are not responsible for entering a "gun free zone" with a gun if the facility is not posted.

Sorry I can't offer any more help. I know that a lot of these things are very state specific. It may be worth checking out a CCW forum that's just for your state if one is available.

-Clay

Be VERY careful of taking the opinions on an internet forum as gospel. Do your own research, make the phone call, if necessary, to the state agency which is over your state CCW regulations, and get the answer from the horses mouth. Many recruiting offices, not located in Federal Buildings, are leased by GSA (General Services Administration) on behalf of the branch of military which occupies the office(s). I am of the opinion, that once the GSA leases the property, it then becomes federal property and falls under the auspices of the laws governing concealed carry in federal offices, buildings, facilities, etc. Therefore, I would assume it would be AGAINST THE LAW to carry in a Recruiting Office. JMO...Beware of the internet lawyers offering their opinions..
    TN_Mike, Tzadik and SHTFGearLLC like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Yeh I definately wont carry there until I have the facts and was just wondering if anyone here could point me to a bit of law somewhere that is more definitive.

VIP Member
    Regardless of whether it is in a federally owned building or not, it is federally leased and federally controlled. Any crime committed is a crime punishable by federal law. I wouldn't risk taking a weapon into the recruiters office. JMO.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I always disarm before entering my recruiter's office and the MEPS. I am one who typically carries everywhere but I don't take chances on federal property. In addition, I have had to empty my pockets multiple times for weigh-ins which would have "made" me.

Yep, as others have said, it may not be Federally owned, but it surely is under Federal control so I wouldn't chance it. Best to be safe and not carry there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

...not to mention there was a jihad-inspired shooting at a recruiting station just about two years ago, IIRC. I doubt a federal prosecutor would miss the chance to send a message about firearms in recruiting stations.

As others have said, never accept legal advice from anonymous bozos on a chat board. Do your own research. Also, don't assume some clerk in the county sheriff's office is up on all the laws, either. Personally, I wouldn't consider taking the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Keisukekun View Post
    Hey guy im just trying to figure out the answer to this question as I have been finding some conflicting information. Theres nothing in the Florida statutes about it and other discussions I've seen say that even though the recruiters are federal employees the office is run by the state so it is not defined as a federal building. Other statutes (oregon) I have seen say that a recruiters office IS a federal building and so CC is not allowed.

For what its worth there is no posting at the local recruiter
    Unless it's changed since I was an Army recruiting station commander, any space leased by the military is considered to be "Federal" property.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Per 18 USC 930, Federal law prohibits carrying a firearm on a "Federal facility" which is defined as a "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

A US military recruiter office is a Federal facility and is off limits a la a year in the can.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Go to the statute. 18 USC 930

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
    weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
    not more than 1 year, or both.

(g) (1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
    employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

Ok thanks for teh help guys that answered my question. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Go to the statute. 18 USC 930

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
    weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
    not more than 1 year, or both.

(g) (1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
    employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    If you are going to quote 18 USC 930 then all of the statute applies. The OP stated is was not posted so then sub section (h) applies which states in plain language "no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility." But now you know about subsections (a) and (b) if you read this post. However, Subsection (d)(3) states Subsection (a) does not apply when "the lawful carrying of firearms" when it is under "other lawful purposes".

IANAL, just as a I read it it's not posted but now you have constructive knowledge but does the fact you are legally carrrying for "other lawful purposes" (e.g. self defense in FL is a lawful purpose) mean you are exempted? My belief is unless you get arrested and go to court we'll never know because the state AG won't give you a read on federal property and you won't EVER get a federal employee (except the judge in your case) to say it's okay. OMO

Extracts from 18 USC 930:

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d),...

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to - (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law; (2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Sponsor
    Very good advice here. Please disregard mine. I should have done further research on the topic before I posted.

-Clay

Late to the game, but most active and reserve offices are posted in some form here. National Guard offices however, are not. The armories are. Really, the best and safest bet is to lock it in the car. It would suck to end your career before it starts. JMHO

Good luck brother.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links