question while carrying a pistol??

This is a discussion on question while carrying a pistol?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; is there a certain way a pistol needs to be carried (cocked and on safety) or can you carry however you desire? just a question ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: question while carrying a pistol??

question while carrying a pistol??

is there a certain way a pistol needs to be carried (cocked and on safety) or can you carry however you desire?

just a question because i heard 2 guys at local range arguing this matter?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

2. Remove Ads

There are many many many threads on this board about this issue. There are pro's and con's for both sides. The peacemaking understanding amongst most people is carry as you desire.

It primarily depends on two things. The type of pistol and size of your desire not to shoot yourself.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

as far as laws are concerned is there certain way?

This is the subject of many healthy debates and not a few unhealthy ones. You have to decide what you are comfortable with and then do it. I have a Kahr CW40 which is DAO and I carry it with one in the chamber. It took me a little to get used to that, but if I need it, I'm going to need it quick.

dave

GOTCHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    is there a certain way a pistol needs to be carried (cocked and on safety) or can you carry however you desire?

As far as I know, there are no laws in any of the US states that say anything to do with whether a gun can/cannot be carried with the safety on/off or chambered/unchambered, or even if it should be carried in a holster or not. But don't take my word for it, check your local laws.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I prefer salad tongs.
    Justified and paullie like this.

I think California is the only state that does not allow you to OC a loaded gun. As far as CC, I do not know.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    GOTCHA!!
    ...get a rope!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I recommend you do a "search'" on Chambered or Unchambered (not chambered)...Read the views expressed, some quite passionately, understand the rationale from both sides, and make your initial choice on how YOU want to carry and be able to express to yourself and others, WHY, you made the choice. Since there are only two potential choices, you can always change your initial choice as you gain experience and skills/comfort with your weapon and it's safety features... With that I shall say no more!!!
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Trial and error. We have ten fingures, ten toes two arms, two legs, two hands, two feet, etc. If you accidentally shoot one off there is usually a spare.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    The method of carry will depend on the type of gun as well as the individuals comfort zone. Most 1911's are carried cocked and locked, a DA/SA with safety can be carried cocked and locked in SA mode, or hammer down in the DA mode. A DA/SA with de-cocker should not be carried with the hammer cocked, since there is no manual safety on it.

As to requirements by law, I know of none that spells out how a gun is to be carried, except for CA requirement that an OC'd gun be unloaded.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links