How often do you place your hand on your weapon? - Page 3

How often do you place your hand on your weapon?

This is a discussion on How often do you place your hand on your weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tzadik Twice yesterday First time when two of the girls in the store squeeled in excitement at the same time. ( the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How often do you place your hand on your weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Twice yesterday

First time when two of the girls in the store squeeled in excitement at the same time. ( the puppy used the potty pad without being told )

Second time when a thuggish looking kid came in the store and one of the salespeople called
    out to me and all the other customers and employees stopped everything they were doing.
    (He was harmless, just gangsta fashion. 6 or 7 people getting wigged out at the same time really raised some concern though)
    How DOES one to get a dog to use a wee wee pad. I just got a three year old Jack Russell. Being in a store open to the public I believe would make you more likely to lay hands on your gun a bit more often. Having no control over who or what walks in off the street. And you have the added burden of no possible retreat.

I can only think of a few times that I've had my hand on my IWB/OWB gun both times I was in the car, once late leaving a bad area in town(sister in law lives there) and a car acting very erratically in my rear view had raised my hair. When I got to the stop light I got in the left lane(to give myself as many directions to drive as possible if they tried to block me in), and put my hand on my 45, while telling my wife to lay her seat down. They pulled up, car full of kids and took off, and I went home. I do quite often have my hand on my pocket carry while pumping gas etc because it's a fairly fast draw if my hand is on it.

Another thing I do though is rest my thumb on my rear pocket, which when I'm wearing a T-shirt is faster to clear the cover and draw. I know from practice that staging my hand there saves me about a third of a second on average on my draw but it's still very unlikely. Once while leaving Wal-Mart late near Houston with my wife there were several younger males that looked like they weren't up to much good and I happened to see them following a younger woman who happened to be parked near us. I staged my hand in case I needed to "help" or deal with them if they came towards us, if it weren't for the other gal I likely would have just gone back inside, however I had seen her shopping in the store, and the guys loitering around and they hadn't spoken or acknowledged each other etc. So I assumed that if anything did occur it wasn't likely a good encounter. Though like always I'd hate to have to intervene into someone else's situation because you never know what would happen. However my gut told me to keep an eye on them and her, so I took a little longer path to the car while watching the situation from 25ish feet. Then they walked past here and off out of the parking lot without an issue, so thankfully nothing happened. Would it have gone the same way if I wasn't there and she was the only person in the lot? Hard to say but something told me I should keep an eye out.

So to recap, like others said, very infrequently but sometimes just keeping your eye's open and watching whats going on and keeping prepared to draw if necessary that's usually enough.

Take care!

Luke

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Man my life is boring. I wish I had the life of some of you guys to where it's hard to go a day without having to skin the smoke wagon or getting pulled over by the police. I have become an old man.....
    jem102 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    On my belt almost never, in my pocket sometimes, any other carry almost never.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    With the disparity of force they were presenting and the threats of bodily harm they were making, I would have been justified to shoot them all.
    Mas Ayoob has a nice video that illustrates that the disparity of force no longer exists when there is one, maybe 2, left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Man my life is boring. I wish I had the life of some of you guys to where it's hard to go a day without having to skin the smoke wagon or getting pulled over by the police. I have become an old man.....
    Me too. But to answer the OP about the only time is when I first get out of the car after a long ride might need pulled back some. Other than that never, but I have carried daily for 30 years and have it down.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I almost constently feel for my pistol and billfold. Reason? If I carry a small frame pistol/revolver it is easy to get use to it being there and I tend to forget it is on me. So I frequently check. Same for billfold. Those of us in the mechanical field are moving around on floors, up on lifts, or crawling around on a catwalk. It is easy to loose something. Thankfiully I have never done that. (KNOCK....)

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Most often I carry IWB and will sometimes will brush my pistol lightly with my forearm to double check location.

I carry in a SmartCarry 24/7. I draw the gun and put in in my front pant's pocket with my hand gripping it every time I answer the door. I also have done this without exposing what I'm doing a number of times in other places when "things just didn't feel right". So far it I haven't needed to draw it from my pocket - I hope I never do!
    When things go back to condition yellow it surreptitiously goes back into the SmartCarry.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

About the only time my hand gets near my firearm is to pull my pants up...darn gut!
    It doesn't really look like I'm touching my gun...just pulling my pants up.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Do you ever find yourself clearing your clothes enough to grip your weapon? Let's say you're walking somewhere and you feel like someone is following your or staring you down, etc and you just get that gut feeling (or more likely your better female half gets that gut feeling they tend to get). Do you place your hand on your weapon or is that a no-no? I'm not referring to drawing it in any way just getting your hand on it and clothing cleared. Have you ever? What was the situation?

Learning from all your more experienced CC'ers is a great help!
    Never. I know it is there. I don`t have to reasure myself, or broadcast that I am or may be carrying.
    jem102 likes this.
    Keep your powder dry

im on my 3rd day of CC, so I admit I touch it more than I should, but its just a little hard to get used to. Also, I'm very paranoid that people can see it. I guess its just because I'm new to CC
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    As regards the original post, and many of the responses, there is a huge difference between subtly checking for your pistol and overtly putting your hand on it to get into street combat mode as a response to a perceived danger, is there not?
    jem102 and sigmanluke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    As regards the original post, and many of the responses, there is a huge difference between subtly checking for your pistol and overtly putting your hand on it to get into street combat mode as a response to a perceived danger, is there not?
    Yes most defenitly there is. The question asked was, Do you ever find yourself clearing your clothes enough to grip your weapon? "CLEARING your clothes enough to grip your weapon"? Not screaming at you. But clearing your clothing? Heck no.
    jem102 likes this.
    Keep your powder dry

In sketchy situations I cant do that. I use a Smartcarry and as weird as I look I cant really have my hands down the front of clothes towards my crotch. I do hook my thumbs in my waist band quite a bit and that would probably be the closest I could get to that, but I've never felt the need to do that.

Whenever I leave places I double check for my keys, wallet, cell phone and gun but I can raise my thigh just a bit and assure myself the gun is there. Incidently, I've never come close to losing it or had it move anyone, just OCD I guess.

Al
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links