How often do you place your hand on your weapon?

This is a discussion on How often do you place your hand on your weapon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you ever find yourself clearing your clothes enough to grip your weapon? Let's say you're walking somewhere and you feel like someone is following ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How often do you place your hand on your weapon?

How often do you place your hand on your weapon?

Do you ever find yourself clearing your clothes enough to grip your weapon? Let's say you're walking somewhere and you feel like someone is following your or staring you down, etc and you just get that gut feeling (or more likely your better female half gets that gut feeling they tend to get). Do you place your hand on your weapon or is that a no-no? I'm not referring to drawing it in any way just getting your hand on it and clothing cleared. Have you ever? What was the situation?

Learning from all your more experienced CC'ers is a great help!
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

2. Remove Ads

If I'm carrying in a front pocket, the brief answer is "often." On the belt, either IWB or OWB, the answer is "almost never."

The big difference is that no one gives a second look to someone with their hands in their pockets. But bringing the hand up to above belt level to get a firing grip on a holstered weapon does NOT look natural.
    Zeke2A and thephanatik like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Almost. I was being followed by 3 men. I was just at the point where I was ready to draw, and I came around the corner that I was going to use for cover, and there was a bus station. Inside, was the biggest cop I ever saw. I walked up to him and said "Hello." Then I watched the 3 guys looking at us through the window. It was a lucky day for me.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

I touch my gun when I holster it before leaving the house and when I take it off before going to bed at night. I seldom need to adjust it or touch it at all because I use a good quality holster and I have a good thick leather belt that supports the weight of the gun and spare magazine. There should be no reason to continually adjust the gun or touch it. If you are carry concealed, you will simply be giving the fact that you have a weapon on away. You may as well OC, which I am not against and do open carry myself at times but, if your intent is to conceal the gun, continually touching it or adjusting it will negate any element of surprise you feel concealed carry may give you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I CC IWB with one of two different quality hybird holsters. The only thing I touch is my shirt tail occasionaly to make sure it hasn't crawled up over the grip of my weapon. Most of my shirts fit in a manner this is not necessary. If you are constantly reaching or grabing for something you will get unwanted attention.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I touch my gun when I holster it before leaving the house and when I take it off before going to bed at night. I seldom need to adjust it or touch it at all because I use a good quality holster and I have a good thick leather belt that supports the weight of the gun and spare magazine. There should be no reason to continually adjust the gun or touch it. If you are carry concealed, you will simply be giving the fact that you have a weapon on away. You may as well OC, which I am not against and do open carry myself at times but, if your intent is to conceal the gun, continually touching it or adjusting it will negate any element of surprise you feel concealed carry may give you.
    I guess I was more referring to feeling like you're in a sketchy situation where you may have to draw so you place your hand on your gun to quicken your draw.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Twice yesterday

First time when two of the girls in the store squeeled in excitement at the same time. ( the puppy used the potty pad without being told )

Second time when a thuggish looking kid came in the store and one of the salespeople called
    out to me and all the other customers and employees stopped everything they were doing.
    (He was harmless, just gangsta fashion. 6 or 7 people getting wigged out at the same time really raised some concern though)

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    I guess I was more referring to feeling like you're in a sketchy situation where you may have to draw so you place your hand on your gun to quicken your draw.
    I still don't rest my hand on my weapon unless I am pocket carrying, however my pocket carry is a .380 and my IWB carry is a .45 I'd rather tap my assailaint with my 45 if at all possible. That being said there has been times that I left my hand on my Sig P238 just in case in needed I very quick draw.

I would say practicing your draw would best help your in your scenairo. There may also be a time when drawing your weapon isn't in your best interest depending on whom your trying to defend, yourself or others.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

RKM
    I've only placed my hand on it if I'm carrying in the pocket, and that's just because my hands are in my pockets. When I carry IWB, I only put my hand on it to make an adjustment from getting out of my car, or something, or taking it off when undressing for bed.

other than putting it on and taking it off almost never. I have had my hand in my pocket and snuck my thumb under my shirt on the rare occasion I have had to stop in the unsavory section of town.

I'm really growing to love pocket carry. The place I work draws the occasional customer that sets the radar off, and it's nice to have a couple steps of the draw out of the way. If I work a closing shift(11:00 pm), I always walk out of work with my hand in my pocket. I never wear anything remotely tactical, and I'm left handed, so I think a middle aged guy leaning on a counter with his hand in his pocket looks completely innocent.
    jester243 likes this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

If you're talking in a situation that may require use of a weapon. Never. Getting older has given me experience to know where I shouldn't go. And situational awareness has helped keep me out of any situation that may crop up.

As far as normal every day carry. I may need to readjust my IWB when getting out of the car. But that's about it. I've been carrying long enough so I am quite comfortable with my gear.
    Question Everything!

I've scolded a few people that like to play with their CCW, but, sadly, in this economy I work with some sleazy customers. I deal with someone that makes me touch my gun about every other day. I refuse to trade my job for unemployment. It appears this is the change that was mandated by slightly more than half of the voting population.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    Only time I touch/adjust my gun, other than when arming in the morning, is just prior to exiting my truck. At that time I will make sure it is still in its proper position.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

When I'm at the (Range) and practicing my draw, Othe than that I've never had it in my hand, cpet for slight adjustsments ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links