Oregon Air show safety restictions

This is a discussion on Oregon Air show safety restictions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From their website FAQ: What can I bring to the Air Show? The Oregon International Air Show is held on airport property and has strict ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon Air show safety restictions

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Oregon Air show safety restictions

From their website FAQ:

What can I bring to the Air Show?
    The Oregon International Air Show is held on airport property and has strict safety procedures.To ensure your safety, please remember the following items are NOT alllowed through the Air Show gates:
    • ALL types of knives
    • Leatherman-type multi-tools
    • Guns or weapons of any kind
    As far as I know, I can carry anywhere in Oregon that is not a Federal/State building, courthouse, etc. I realize it is private property, but I do not believe they can stop me from carrying, just ask me to leave if they discover I am.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

So the question is... are you willing to find out?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

EMP,

It is NOT private property, Hillsboro Airport is part of the Port of Portland, an entity established by the Oregon Legislature. Because Oregon state law prohibits any pre-emption of the right to concealed carry, you absolutely are legally entitled to carry there as a CCW holder. See http://oregonfirearms.org/portofport...pinionport.pdf for a legal opinion on the Port of Portland's illegal attempt to prohibit concealed carry at PDX.

Of course, IANAL, so don't be taking legal advice from ME. They WILL search your bags at the gate, and undoubtedly kick you out if they find a firearm. A concealed firearm should be able to get through, though - I haven't seen them use metal detectors in the past.

Last year, Hillsboro police, who clearly didn't understand the bounds of their authority, nor the definition of private property, were patrolling the Intel parking lot, confronting Intel employees, and kicking them out - under threat of arrest for trespassing - despite the fact that they were employees of Intel and had every right to be there. In other words, don't expect your legal rights to be honored at the Oregon Airshow.

It's so close to the show that I dont honestly expect a response before the show is over, and I"m not nearly as good as other people on this forum at this. But here is a copy of the email I sent the airshow.

To Whom It May Concern:

I was recently going through the F.A.Q.'s on the Oregon Airshow Website located at: Oregon International Air Show: FAQs

And I came across a passage that concerns me, paraphrased below:

What can I bring to the Air Show?
    The Oregon International Air Show is held on airport property and has strict safety procedures.To ensure your safety, please remember the following items are NOT alllowed through the Air Show gates:
    • ALL types of knives
    • Leatherman-type multi-tools
    • Guns or weapons of any kind

As you may or may not be aware. Under ORS 166.170 - The Oregon Legislature has retained exclusive authority to regulate the possession of firearms and I quote "Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition."

As Hillsboro Airport is located on Port-Of-Portland Property, I fear you may be over-stepping your authority and unintentionally misleading people about their right to to lawfully carry a firearm if they choose while attending your event. I respectfully request that you adjust the verbiage on your F.A.Q.'s and any signs that may be posted at the entrances to the Airshow to reflect current Oregon Law that lawfully carried firearms are allowed on Hillsboro Airport/Port-Of-Portland property. Thank you in advance for your time and I look forward to your attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    From their website FAQ:

As far as I know, I can carry anywhere in Oregon that is not a Federal/State building, courthouse, etc. I realize it is private property, but I do not believe they can stop me from carrying, just ask me to leave if they discover I am.
    Try it and find out.

BTW - there is also a Federal consideration with airports. They may be less impressed with Oregon's pre-emption.....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

BTW, I've flown many times through that airport - on chartered flights - and carried pocketknives. Last I checked, there is no signage nor security checks to prohibit this. Odd that they would start prohibiting even knives, even for non-passengers. Just another example of people making up laws/rules on the spot just because they think they can.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I would indeed check federal guidelines on this. Hijacked aircraft are now considered weapons of mass destruction. New rules apply to prevent future occurances, regardless of any state "pre-emptions."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I believe federal restrictions are only beyond the security checkpoints into the "Secure" area.

VIP Member
    Well, how was the show?

Did you carry?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I believe federal restrictions are only beyond the security checkpoints into the "Secure" area.
    +1 on this. You can technically carry through the airports in Oregon as long as you do not go beyond the secured areas. You will be bothered however and probably cited for something, but according to Oregon law it is legal. I myself am not willing to be a guinea pig, so I keep it CC through the airports when picking up and dropping of friends and family.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Well, unfortunately, I did not go. Plans changed and I didn't get a chance to find out.

However, last year I did go and carried. I was a volunteer for a political event so I was able to get in through the super secret volunteer entrance which had absolutely no security.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    The tarmac is a "secure" area.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The tarmac is a "secure" area.
    Not necessarily true. Hillsboro Airport is a General Aviation airport and as such does not fall under the authority of the TSA there-fore no Federal "Sterile Area"

In addition, TSA officials
    told us TSA does not have the authority to issue security regulations for general aviation
    airports except for facilities located within Washington, DC, Metropolitan Area Flight
    Restricted Zone, roughly a 15-mile circle around Ronald Reagan Washington National
    Airport (Reagan National). Although TSA has published the Security Guidelines for
    General Aviation Airports that contain federally endorsed security procedures, the
    primary providers of aviation services at most general aviation airports are not subject to
    federal security regulations, and TSA’s Security Guidelines are not mandatory.
    Taken from:

http://www.dhs.gov/xoig/assets/mgmtr...1-96_Jul11.pdf - Page 6

Im doing it.

I am sitting here at the Hillsboro Oregon Air Sho, in 97 degree heat with my DB-9EX in my pocket. No search of my person or inquisition of my carrying any weapons. I carry everywhere except where prohibited by Federaly or state regulated by Federal or State law.

You can follow unofficial regulations and end up dead. Stop being timid. That is how fun rights are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    From their website FAQ:

You can carry in the parking lot and all common arias of the airport, but you were never allowed to bring a weapon past security into the terminal or onto the tarmac. Visitors to this airshow will be on the tarmac, thus already prohibited from having a weapon. This is not a special rule for the air show, this is not some unofficial corporate policy, this is current federal law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links