Great Email from my Sister In-Law, she is considering carrying

This is a discussion on Great Email from my Sister In-Law, she is considering carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have posted before about my Wife's Sister and her fear of guns, as well as her husband. I have also reported she is now ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Great Email from my Sister In-Law, she is considering carrying

Great Email from my Sister In-Law, she is considering carrying

I have posted before about my Wife's Sister and her fear of guns, as well as her husband. I have also reported she is now comfortable with my carrying around here family, even was OK with me taking her kids with me to the Cheaper Than Dirt store in McKinney.

Well the other day I get an Email from her about carrying and defending herself and her kids. She started out with saying "Don't get all excited and happy about it". Here is my first opportunity to show her my passion isn't about simply carrying, rather a passion about responsibility. I told here that i was proud of her fro her decision to look in to it. She cited all the mob attacks lately and the need to defend her kids if that happened.

I have already had some great conversations with her. I have eased some of her concerns about "killing someone" with the simple statement of "you don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop a threat, if they die that is an occupational hazard for their line of work", I think that single comment made the most difference.

I told her we would have a lot to talk about. I plan on going deep in to escape, since the mob issues lately are what got her to change her mind. Unless I loan her my AK, there isn't much she will be able to do with a mob on her.

Also, I told her I wouldn't want to discuss any further unless her Husband was OK with it. She discussed it with him and he was OK with it. She has even enrolled in my Krav school, the online coupon they just sent out helped and the timing of was perfect.

I feel honored that she decided to come to me to learn more. I guess she trusts that I know my stuff and will refer her to the right people or the stuff I don't know.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats to your sister. It's good she has realized these are dangerous times right now and is willing to take the needed steps to protect her family. There are too many people who won't admit it or expect someone else to take care of them.

If you haven't already, I'd get her started reading on cornered cat, and watching limatunes youtube videos.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That was a pretty big step for her, entrusting you with those thought's and concerns.

Bravo Zulu to the BOTH of ya!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Good for her. Very enlightened of her to admit her short sighted views. I agree with Limatues videos and Cornered Cat Possibly steer her towards this site. She can lurk and learn.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The first step to this realization is having an open mind. I've tried discussing this with other members of my family, and even though I present my case very logically and with facts, they simply are not open to discussing it, and I can't force their minds open.

Glad to hear about your sister-in-law. Let her come along at her own pace and don't rush it.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Good going. Does she have a birthday comng up soon? If not Christmas will do. Find out when she wants to take a CCW course and if possible pay for it. Tell her you want her to get the best training available at this time so she can better protect herself and her family. If you can find a course geared toward women only even better. Make sure the instructor is highly competant though. The key is to let her go at her own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Congrats to your sister. It's good she has realized these are dangerous times right now and is willing to take the needed steps to protect her family. There are too many people who won't admit it or expect someone else to take care of them.

If you haven't already, I'd get her started reading on cornered cat, and watching limatunes youtube videos.
    This was one of the first things I sent her in one of my replies, great minds…

I also gave her a rundown of estimated costs of various things she will need (bed safe, gun, cleaning kit, etc, etc., so she doesn't' get sticker shock. I am going to be giving her some presents, I have extra range gear I'm going to give her and stock it with new stuff like her own ears and eyes, as well as set her up with her first cleaning kit. I am also going to be taking my Wife and her to shoot and go through some basic instructions, etc. I will offer to send them both to advanced training if it looks like I am not doing a good enough job.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

AHHHH sooo Gwasshoppa we taught u well,nothing like bringing another sheep into the fold,Reminds me of a buncha people I started riding with about 3 years ago,when we started only me and a friend had CHL licenses,now almost everybody carries
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    This was one of the first things I sent her in one of my replies, great minds…
    I also gave her a rundown of estimated costs of various things she will need (bed safe, gun, cleaning kit, etc, etc., so she doesn't' get sticker shock. I am going to be giving her some presents, I have extra range gear I'm going to give her and stock it with new stuff like her own ears and eyes, as well as set her up with her first cleaning kit. I am also going to be taking my Wife and her to shoot and go through some basic instructions, etc. I will offer to send them both to advanced training if it looks like I am not doing a good enough job.
    Congrats for taking on these tasks.

One question though - Does her husband Not Carry or take Self Defense precautions??

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Congrats for taking on these tasks.

One question though - Does her husband Not Carry or take Self Defense precautions??

Nope, he is/was in the same mindset as her. We have actually had a very good conversation today about having to defend yourself and neither of them have ever had to. I guess it is a good thing they grew up in a safe world, but growing up in South Dallas, I didn't have that luxury and I approach life in a different way than them.

We are taking baby steps, I don't' want to overwhelm either of them.

-Paco

Links