First time CC

This is a discussion on First time CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was asked to report in...first time carrying yesterday. I did not carry the G19 as planned, too hot to conceal well enough to make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time CC

First time CC

I was asked to report in...first time carrying yesterday.

I did not carry the G19 as planned, too hot to conceal well enough to make me comfortable, pocket carried the LCP with one in the chamber. Forgot it was there by the end of the day.

I think I will get a CM9 today.

2. Remove Ads

Concealed Carry takes a little getting used to. The best advice I can offer is to find one gun that you plan to carry and then determine the best method of carry that works for you. Once you have done that, practice, practice, practice. If you continually change guns plus where and how you carry, you will be in a world of hurt when you really need to have your protection in a hurry. Wasted seconds thinking about where your gun is and which gun it is take time which is not a luxury if, heaven forbid, you need to draw your gun.

I appreciate the fact that you live in Florida as I do also. My method of carry never varies. I have found that strong side OWB works for me. Whether I am wearing long pants and a sport jacket or shorts and a shirt not tucked in, my gun sits in the same place each and every day...and it is the same gun all the time. And further, I go to the range at least twice per week. Although I take lots of different guns, I always manage to get some rounds shot with my EDC carry gun.

Your preferred method of carry may vary but the point is to find one method and one gun. Make it work for you so that it becomes reactionary. Best of luck to you. Stay proficient and hope you never have to use your gun other than at the range.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Good for you! Things will get easier and you will feel more comfortable going forward, but never "forget" is there and be conscious of the safety rules.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

As an advocate for always carrying with a round in the chamber, I would emphasize - be comfortable with it, but never forget it is there - especially in the pocket. In addition, forgetting suggests a low level of SA - condition white.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

It will be like wearing your watch soon. Just remember the rules!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I live in FL, too!
    It's not too hot to conceal a G-19...IWB holster w/wife beater shirt under a T-shirt or print shirt.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post

I did not carry the G19 as planned, too hot to conceal well enough to make me comfortable…..
    I'd suggest you do what you can to get used to the Glock. I live in South Texas, so I understand the heat. You'll most likely get to the point where you don't feel comfortable if you don't have it. Just a suggestion, but I'd strongly suggest doing what you can to carry the largest, highest capacity handgun possible.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Congrats on the carry. The more you do it the more comfortable you will feel. After a while, you'll feel "naked" without it! It just becomes part of getting dressed each day.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Sounds like you're already comfortable. Just remember that whatever you carry, make sure it's done so in a way that the firearm was designed. If you get the right belt and holster, you can also find ways to carry very comfortably even in hot conditions.

The weather here hangs in the mid 90's into the 100's too and I'm very comfortable carrying every day with a CBST. I also forget it's there until I go to sit down. I don't like the clack noise that other people can hear when it hits a chair.

Congrats on the first carry and stay safe!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
    As an advocate for always carrying with a round in the chamber, I would emphasize - be comfortable with it, but never forget it is there - especially in the pocket. In addition, forgetting suggests a low level of SA - condition white.
    Thank for the reminder. To clarify, "forget" was really just an expression, I was trying to emphasize that I felt very comfortable carrying hot. Although I am acutely aware that a mistake will have immediate and serious consequences, I am also very comfortable with the fact that the gun won't AD/ND unless I pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
    Concealed Carry takes a little getting used to. The best advice I can offer is to find one gun that you plan to carry and then determine the best method of carry that works for you. Once you have done that, practice, practice, practice. If you continually change guns plus where and how you carry, you will be in a world of hurt when you really need to have your protection in a hurry. Wasted seconds thinking about where your gun is and which gun it is take time which is not a luxury if, heaven forbid, you need to draw your gun.

I appreciate the fact that you live in Florida as I do also. My method of carry never varies. I have found that strong side OWB works for me. Whether I am wearing long pants and a sport jacket or shorts and a shirt not tucked in, my gun sits in the same place each and every day...and it is the same gun all the time. And further, I go to the range at least twice per week. Although I take lots of different guns, I always manage to get some rounds shot with my EDC carry gun.

Your preferred method of carry may vary but the point is to find one method and one gun. Make it work for you so that it becomes reactionary. Best of luck to you. Stay proficient and hope you never have to use your gun other than at the range.
    very good advice, thank you

CBST?

How utterly refreshing to get a report of a first-time concealed carry without the detailed story of the inane Wally World Walk.

CBST = Cross Breed Super Tuck. Very popular inside waistband (IWB) holster.

Sounds like your head is in the right place. Stay safe, brother.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'd suggest you do what you can to get used to the Glock.
    Couldn't agree more, if for no other reason than I really love the Glock and can shoot it comfortably 2 handed, one handed and weak handed and it will be the weapon I train with.

Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    CBST?
    Sorry macg19, and thanks for clearing that up gasmitty.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links