Mag question

This is a discussion on Mag question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a question about mags and please forgive my if this sounds "ignorant". When ever I'm not carrying, ie at home, and my gun ...

Thread: Mag question

Mag question

I've got a question about mags and please forgive my if this sounds "ignorant".

When ever I'm not carrying, ie at home, and my gun is on the nightstand, I usually take the first couple of rounds out of my mags to release some of the tension. I do this so that the springs do not develope a "memory". My first Sgt when I went into LE always told me to do this and I always have. Is this "bunk"?

I carry a S&W 457 .45 with factory mags.

Thanks for the insight

Jeff

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by huntermedic
    I've got a question about mags and please forgive my if this sounds "ignorant".

When ever I'm not carrying, ie at home, and my gun is on the nightstand, I usually take the first couple of rounds out of my mags to release some of the tension. I do this so that the springs do not develope a "memory". My first Sgt when I went into LE always told me to do this and I always have. Is this "bunk"?

I carry a S&W 457 .45 with factory mags.

Thanks for the insight

Jeff
    Taking the rounds out is causing more spring wear than leaving them in. Cycling a spring is what wears it out leaving it under tension doesn't.

+1
    It's not the mag being loaded that wears the springs, it's the loading and unloading that does it. I have heard of WWII 1911 mags that have been loaded for 50+ years that the springs were just fine.

As said removing the rounds and reinserting them is more wear than leaving them full loaded the cycling does it ..

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    yep:
    Bunk!!
    leave them loaded all the way up.
    It won't hurt 'em.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

This is another one of those "Urban Legends". I heard it alot when I was in the Army. Usually from a 45 year old NCO with only 3 stripes.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Administrator

Post This Is Already Pretty Much Covered

In the forum poll thread that is running right now.

Click Here To Go There.

Load'em and leave'em, because the wear comes when you are constantly loading and unloading.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I leave mine loaded for reasons already stated but also I believe that most mags today are of superior quality than those 50 years ago; and those mags 50 years ago don't seem to have problems....get my drift. Occasionally I hear about a bad mag here or there. Mags are meant to be used, when they go bad just replace them.

Ditto what everyone else said. Loan them and leave them.

I have a magazine that is 16 years old for my PT-99. It stayed loaded for 5 years with the same rounds because it somehow fell behind the shelf in the gun safe. I thought I had left it on a range years ago but when I did find it, I took it to the range the next time I went and it, and the ammo stored in it for those 5 years, worked flawlessly.

Magazines are made to be loaded. Compressing and releasing the spring tension is what causes metal fatigue, not compressing it and leaving it. The whole "spring devoloping a memory" concept is a myth.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

OD*
    I believe that most mags today are of superior quality than those 50 years ago; and those mags 50 years ago don't seem to have problems....
    I'm still using some M. S. Little, Scovill Mfg. Co and Risdon Tool & Machine Co magazines (W.W.II magazine contractors).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links