What should I always carry as a soon to be CC'er?

This is a discussion on What should I always carry as a soon to be CC'er? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like A-F....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What should I always carry as a soon to be CC'er?

I like A-F.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

2. Remove Ads

I'd wait on gear...buy ammo, seek training. Then decide what to carry. I do recommend a getting a quality gun belt and holster

For me (this what works for me, maybe not for you)
    - spare mag: (primarily) for the unlikely event of a malfunction of the primary mag; (second) more ammo
    - cell phone: to me, this is a must if you're going to carry a gun
    - small flashlight: it is something I always need, that others sometimes forget
    - knife: it's another tool.

I also have a multi-tool and small first-aid kit in my bag; with a large medic bag in my car, and am trained to use it.
    -
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Carry yourself in a respectful and non threatening manor. The second thing to carry is the memory that every action you take could effect the rest of your life. Either positively or more importantly, negatively.

You need to have the ability and wherewithal to know when and how to use tools other than deadly force if it is at all possible as circumstances dictate.

Last but maybe most important, you need to know in your heart that if deadly force is needed, you will respond with a level of unexpected violence that will leave no doubt in your attackers mind that they have fatally erred in the victim selection process.

A good gun belt is a smart investment too.
    First Sgt likes this.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Recognize that your EDC kit will grow, adapt, and change as time goes on and you get a feel for your particular needs. Definitely train, and always ruthlessly ask if you have the right gear on you. Now, FOR ME, this is what I carry right now:

Situational Awareness and common sense
    wallet
    keys
    cell phone (most important "tool" IMO)
    pen (like Lima, I would love a tactical pen...right now I am broke so a Pilot G2 0.5mm is what I get)
    pen knife (for opening stuff)
    defensive folding knife...my Benchmade 730s Elishewitz is only used in defensive situations, not as a multitool :)
    Tac light. I carry a small one in a belt holster
    Gun (XD9sc with 13-round flush mag) and a spare mag (16 rounder)

I also keep my "hunting bag" in my truck with a lot of other stuff in it like a first aid kit and all that jazz.

I don't personally carry OC because my less lethal option is my kenpo training if I need it. That said, I have been considering some Sabre Red...

But as you have been told, you need to figure out what is best for you. I think gun, wallet, keys, cell phone are rock bottom minimum. Everything else is as your needs dictate.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Sound judgement, tenacity and your Carry Concealed License at all times.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Gun, extra mag, flashlight, cellphone, and knife. If I carried anymore, I wouldn't be able to walk. My primary carry gun has been a 40c for the past 5 years.

This should just about cover it, but I'd add a less lethal option if possible. I carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster just incase; not every encounter will require, or warrant a bullet.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I carry a small stun gun in a cell phone case on my belt. For all the situations where I can't legally carry, it's better than nothing.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    on speed dial
    Memorize the number, or leave contact information with someone who you have arranged in advance to be your emergency contact and communicator and whose number you have memorized. If you get taken to jail you won't have access to your cell phone when you get to use the phone.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Memorize the number, or leave contact information with someone who you have arranged in advance to be your emergency contact and communicator and whose number you have memorized. If you get taken to jail you won't have access to your cell phone when you get to use the phone.
    I will hang up from 911 and call the lawyer before the cops even arrive

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What do you need when you carry?

Knowledge of your state laws and a healthy dose of common sense.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

-firearm of your choice

-Spare mag, more to correct malfunctions than because you think you'll need more ammo, but the ammo is still nice to have

-flashlight, ON YOUR PERSON, not in the truck. if you're attacked in the dark, you need to be able to see before you shoot

-cell phone to call 911 (remember, the first person to call is the victim)

-CCW card

everything else is supplementary. first aid gear for yourself such as a tourniquet and gauze might be nice, but you can use your belt and t-shirt. Maybe leave the medical gear in the truck.

IMOHO, carrying less-lethal and a firearm at the same time is asking for trouble when the prosecution asks "why didn't you just OC/taze/baton him? you had the LTL equipment with you. you were out looking to kill someone."
    "In EMS, death is our dance partner. We push it away, move it closer, move around it. Sometimes it leads, and other times it does not, depending on the skill of the dancer and the music being played." -Tracey Loscar, MCIP

I always carry my gun and an extra magazine. I am not afraid that 17 rounds of 9mm is less than adequate. It is mainly there incase the first mag fails in some way. Other than that my wallet, keys, cellphone, and pocket knife round out the package. The reason I carry a pocket knife is because it has a window break and a seat belt cutting tool.

As others have said the most important thing to carry is common sense and situational awareness. Be alert, be smart, and be polite. That will get you through 90% of life without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon_Medic View Post
    IMOHO, carrying less-lethal and a firearm at the same time is asking for trouble when the prosecution asks "why didn't you just OC/taze/baton him? you had the LTL equipment with you. you were out looking to kill someone."
    My answer would be "why do cops carry OC/Tasers/Batons and firearms? Because certain situations demand certain levels of force." I think carrying LTL options proves how much you didn't want to kill someone.
    MikeNice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    My answer would be "why do cops carry OC/Tasers/Batons and firearms? Because certain situations demand certain levels of force." I think carrying LTL options proves how much you didn't want to kill someone.
    See and if you DIDN'T have a less than lethal option I would think the prosecution would say, "He was just looking to kill someone, he didn't even have a less than lethal option"

Prosecutors job is to make you look guilty no matter how innocent you are so unfortunately they can try to make you out to be whoever they want and depending on how firearm familiar your jury is, it may not be that hard. Just my $.05 (inflation...)
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Your head on the swivel and your temper at bay.
    And keep your middle finger sheathed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon_Medic View Post
    -flashlight, ON YOUR PERSON, not in the truck. if you're attacked in the dark, you need to be able to see before you shoot

Agreed. Also, one of the nice high-intensity LED flashlights on the market now might de-escalate a situation fast. If you're in a fairly dark area (which is more likely to be the case if attacked), shining 100+ lumens directly in the eyes of your attacker might lead him staggering away unable to see. I've used this on aggressive dogs several times, they come to a complete stop and track me with hearing and nose alone, unsure of what to do with me, and generally wander off. Since humans aren't so good in the hearing and smell department, I figure that this is a good option. At least it will slow them down enough to get your pistol lined up properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links