What should I always carry as a soon to be CC'er?

This is a discussion on What should I always carry as a soon to be CC'er? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A) Firearm of course-will be my FS M&P .40 for now B) Spare mag?? Or is that not necessary to always carry? C) Flashlight? If ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What should I always carry as a soon to be CC'er?

What should I always carry as a soon to be CC'er?

A) Firearm of course-will be my FS M&P .40 for now
    B) Spare mag?? Or is that not necessary to always carry?
    C) Flashlight? If so, how do you carry it? On belt in a flashlight holder?
    D) OC?
    E) Knife (almost always have one of my many knives on my anyhow
    F) Cell phone, I always actually have two on me- work phone and personal phone
    G) rubber gloves, First aid stuff, quik-clot??? Does anyone carry that to tend to the BG you just stopped or anything else that comes up

Of course it's always a balance of being prepared without having a full cops duty belt which would look ridiculous and not be a realistic option. So what do I ALWAYS need to have on me and how do you carry it?

Technically the way the WI CC law is written you are allowed to posses A concealed weapon, so whether we can even carry more than one or not is yet to be determined from my understanding. But I don't have the luxury of having a backup weapon at this point and not sure I would ever carry one to be honest but we'll see.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

2. Remove Ads

some people load up for bear, back up guns, a few extra mags, big knives, spray, tactical lights, asps, para cord for others just their gun is enough.
    I generally carry an extra mag and an asp, sometimes I carry an open assisted folding knife.
    IMHO the minimum you should carry is a gun and some form of non lethal weapon, like an asp or OC spray.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Gun, extra mag, flashlight, cellphone, and knife. If I carried anymore, I wouldn't be able to walk. My primary carry gun has been a 40c for the past 5 years.
    gottabkiddin and SIGguy229 like this.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    A) Firearm of course-will be my FS M&P .40 for now
    B) Spare mag?? Or is that not necessary to always carry?
    C) Flashlight? If so, how do you carry it? On belt in a flashlight holder?
    D) OC?
    E) Knife (almost always have one of my many knives on my anyhow
    F) Cell phone, I always actually have two on me- work phone and personal phone
    G) rubber gloves, First aid stuff, quik-clot??? Does anyone carry that to tend to the BG you just stopped or anything else that comes up

Of course it's always a balance of being prepared without having a full cops duty belt which would look ridiculous and not be a realistic option. So what do I ALWAYS need to have on me and how do you carry it? Technically the way the WI CC law is written you are allowed to posses A concealed weapon, so whether we can even carry more than one or not is yet to be determined from my understanding. But I don't have the luxury of having a backup weapon at this point and not sure I would ever carry one to be honest but we'll see.
    Good common sense that you carry between your ears! No, I'm not joking. As I believe that was your main question, no matter what other things you may carry with you, SA and common sense is the best life saver you can possess. All other items you mention are just tools that are up to you to decide after using some common sense. Read up on your laws and don't go to dumb places.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Keep that first aid stuff in your car. I keep a few MREs in the trunk along with an IFAC.
    If I still lived up north, there would be some heavy clothes/blankets incase the weather had me stranded.
    I never forget my tactical chicken nugget dispenser...you never know.

Gun, knife, extra mag, OC spray, ID and my cell phone.
    I don't carry the extra rubber gloves or first aid stuff as I'm assuming I'm not the one going to be needing it. Yeah, it's an assumption, but I'm going with it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Take a 2 day class from a reputable instructor and develop a base of information to figure out what you need.

What I carry is different from what other people carry because I want or need different things than they do.

What should you carry? I don't know. I'm not you, don't live your life and don't shoot, talk, dress or share your occupation.

Get trained as best you can, and figure it out.
    SIGguy229, limatunes and WHEC724 like this.

Your head on the swivel and your temper at bay.
    MikeNice likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I carry my gun, spare magazine, knife and cell phone. I keep a first aid kit in my truck. The first aid kit is only for myself and family.

The only thing I carry for the BG is my gun and spare mag. After all he made his bed, let him live (or die) with his choice.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Maybe tampons to plug the 3 holes you put in him and some super glue to seal it up...LOL

A must

The business card of your attorney is always a good thing.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Take a 2 day class from a reputable instructor and develop a base of information to figure out what you need.

What I carry is different from what other people carry because I want or need different things than they do.

What should you carry? I don't know. I'm not you, don't live your life and don't shoot, talk, dress or share your occupation.

Get trained as best you can, and figure it out.
    Got to go with MitchellCT on this one. What you may need to carry with you may be different than others and may even be different from day to day.

One thing I've found myself not leaving home with lately is a tactical pen. I use it the most, handle it the most and it's always there.. not to mention I can take it places I can't take a gun or knife. I have a multitool that I use often and pepper spray. I don't always carry a spare magazine but that's just me. I also always have my little flashlight with me which has been a great tool to add to the bag.

As you train and go about your day assessing what you find yourself needing or wishing you had you can build a better idea of what you should have.

Most reputable carry/defensive classes will go over the other tools, how and when to use them even if it's just in lecture. Other classes might go specifically in how to use them... for instance we got a little live work with a tactical pen when I went to my knife class.

Some people need to choose more less-than-lethal options due to not being able to carry at work, etc. Some people might only have limited space on their belts and need to prioritize. Some people choose things based upon what they use the most of the times of days they are out the most (for instance, it makes a lot of sense for someone who gets out of work at night to carry a flashlight with them all the time, etc).

Take some training, assess what you need/use the most and see how it works.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    MPRP already said something similar to what I was thinking as soon as I saw this question. You need to carry a proper mindset so that you'll have an idea as to what you are going to do if something should happen. You should also carry with you the confidence that comes from proper training and from having acquired an appropriate skill set to handle your firearm. Your confidence and even muscle memory will help you to think on your feet because you will need to have the ability to adapt to quickly changing circumstances should you become involved in an altercation. Always remember that an ability to avoid dangerous encounters may be the most powerful weapon that you'll ever have in your SD toolbox. This even trumps caliber size, grain weight and round capacity. The best fight you'll ever have is the one you avoided. Start thinking about carrying a back up wallet so you can give this to the thug that is mugging you. If he takes the bait and runs, you don't have to shoot him and have saved not only a life but yourself a lot of trouble that you just as well do not want.

Another thing you should carry as a new CCer is the card for your lawyer (that you have on retainer) that you're going to call if you ever have to shoot, stab or beat an assailant that unfortunately put you in a position to where you had to defend yourself because he put your life or limb in eminent danger. You can also keep this number in your contact list in your cell phone but keep the card as well on your person as back up. You need to be able to call your lawyer even if you no longer have your phone because it was stolen, lost or broken.

As for gear that you might want to consider carrying;

I typically carry my charged Glock in an appropriate holster
    a Tac light
    A Tac blade
    and an extra mag w/JHPs

I realize that I need to add a good OC and that is on my to do list as well as acquiring a BUG.

Yes, you will always need new gear and a reason to get it accordingly.

DCG

Quote Originally Posted by irvalink View Post
    The business card of your attorney is always a good thing.
    on speed dial

You have to look at this sensibly. The only thing that is going to change is that you have the ability to defend yourself against a deadly force...you are not going into combat in a third world country, even though some of our neighborhoods are starting to take on that persona.

Your carry gun in an appropriate holster and I carry a dual mag carrier but at least one spare mag would be sufficient. The flashlight and whatever else you think you may need should remain in your APC, oops, I meant your car. If you ever get to the point that you have to draw and shoot someone, the last thing I would be concerned about is stopping his bleeding. I would be more concerned about having a police dispatcher on the cell phone listening to how everything played out and request a copy of the tape be sent to your attorney. If you carry a knife on a regular basis...fine. I carry a knife but not as a defensive weapon...I have no desire to be in a knife fight when I happen to have a gun. My knife is strictly for cutting open boxes or opening letters and cutting the occasional flower to bring home to my lady.
    cmb, rhinokrk and MikeNice like this.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links