Best books about concealed carry or winning gun fights, etc

This is a discussion on Best books about concealed carry or winning gun fights, etc within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Winning a gunfight" is a damn sight better than losing a gunfight....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best books about concealed carry or winning gun fights, etc

OD*
    "Winning a gunfight" is a damn sight better than losing a gunfight.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

2. Remove Ads

Xader, I see your point...

But I've got to disagree... Yes, surviving is winning... but, not the best possible win. Surviving has the connotation that one almost didn't... and that's not what I intend... If I'm in a gunfight for my life, I will strive to prevail at the least, win if at all possible... That attitude might allow my survival... While hoping to survive puts you in a defensive mode from the outset of hostilities.

A gunfight is a personal war... one simply does not go to war hoping to survive.
    OD* likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    "Winning a gunfight" is a damn sight better than losing a gunfight.
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Xader, I see your point...

But I've got to disagree... Yes, surviving is winning... but, not the best possible win. Surviving has the connotation that one almost didn't... and that's not what I intend... If I'm in a gunfight for my life, I will strive to prevail at the least, win if at all possible... That attitude might allow my survival... While hoping to survive puts you in a defensive mode from the outset of hostilities.

A gunfight is a personal war... one simply does not go to war hoping to survive.
    I guess the difference is that I don't "hope to survive". I plan to survive. I train to survive. And will do what it takes to survive. I guess this is where it becomes your "personal war".

I agree, surviving is not the "best possible win". The "best possible win" is the gunfight we never have. And yes, surviving has the connotation that we may not have, because in civilian life, a gunfight begins when you might be about to die. That is the unfortunate truth of defensive carry. We can, and should, be proactive in preparing, but by most laws, we must be defensive in action. Otherwise, we risk becoming the aggressor.

We all have the same goal; to live. We each plan for it the best we can, adopt the mindsets that will help us accomplish that goal, and do what we must, when we must.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Check out Dave Grossman's writings. I know him on a personal level, he is the real deal, not just some self proclaimed experts that have been popping up in recent years.
    Back on topic.

Another one that you likely wont find on audiobook, but is definitely worth watching, is Grossman's video: The Bullet Proof Mind: Prevailing in Violent Encounters..and After. It is a training seminar that you can find on YouTube. Very good stuff.

He has also done a version of the seminar that is oriented toward concealed carry called The Bulletproof Mind for the Armed Citizen.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the way a book will help you to 'win', survive' is if you have trained well enough to be able to recognize the parts of them books that may be dovetailed in with your skills.

a book can not 'give' you a skill. but you may recognize in it things that may work with how you are now; and how it may help you to be further along.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

"Principles of personal defense" by jeff cooper..

good reading and help with the theory for mindsets ... it cost less than 15$..

Gabe Suarez' book "The Combative Perspective" goes heavily into mindset--no techniques at all. Suarez and Denny teamed up for the DVD "Die Less Often" which is outstanding. "In the AGravest Extreme" is a nice primer for MAG20, but as a stand alone, it's not enough. Chris Bird's books--Concealed Handgun Manual and Thank God I Had A Gun are both good, taking you through a scenario, then the aftermath, then what should have been done.

Lt Col Grossman's books are cerebral and deal mainly with the aftermath of a critical dynamic incident--not what you're looking for I think. Go with Suarez first--it's short, cheap, and effective. Like Gabe. LOL
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXFather View Post
    I liked the book "The modern day gunslinger" by Don Mann
    I have that book too. Also recommend that with the "Concealed Handgun Manual" by Chris Byrd as well as others listed below that I also have:
    In The Gravest Extreme (Massad Ayoob)
    In Self-Defense (Mike Izumi)
    Principles of Personal Defense (Jeff Cooper)

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    It's not a defeatist mindset.

The point of carrying for defense is not "winning" or "victory"; it's about surviving when the absolute worst comes to pass. This is the mentality that every person who carries for self-defense should have.

Thinking that the goal is to "win a gunfight" is what leads to mall ninja attitudes.
    There is a large gulf between the goal to "only survive" a gun fight, and the goal to win a victory. Winning a "victory" is indeed excessive, in the armed citizen context. There is nothing wrong with surviving, but to plan to "only survive" implies operating a little close to the margin. I could have let my opponent get closer, that night in 1993, or perhaps let him start carving on my anatomy a bit, before shooting him, and I probably would have survived. I planned, however, to do more than "only survive" the incident; I wanted to emerge intact.

Bill Jordan used "winner" in the title of his excellent book, yet there is nothing in his book that glorifies the winning of a gun
    fight. He seemed to see gun fighting as the grim business it is. Like most of his generation, he rarely or never described his own gun fights.

Really, there is nothing wrong with the word "survive" in this context; it is the adjective "only" that made it catch my attention, and concern.

Id say relax. You can read all you want, hypothesis, and give someone money to feed you their philosophy and make you feel good about yourself, but it wont work if you dont have it in you. Its just like leadership, you can teach someone all the aspects of leadership, but the application is a heart thing, almost instinctive.

Most people are too damn afraid of dying to be any good at surviving.
    Guantes, OD* and McDonaldUSMC like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

John Farnam's Quips (on his web site and now in paper back form, I'm not sure of the current title).

Tom Given's book (PDF, from his web site, I'll scrounge around to see if I can find a current URL).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links