Update to my Incident in Tulsa - Page 2

Update to my Incident in Tulsa

This is a discussion on Update to my Incident in Tulsa within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If this doesn't go in your favor there is one other thing you may wish to try. When is the Sheriff up for election? You ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Update to my Incident in Tulsa

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    If this doesn't go in your favor there is one other thing you may wish to try. When is the Sheriff up for election? You may want to run for Sheriff. If Oklahoma law is like other states, every person in the department works at the descretion of the Sheriff. If you win then you could terminate the Captain's employment or adjust his attitude in some way.

Just to catch a couple people up on the original incident, which may change your stance.

My gf and I were in the parking lot when a drunk driver hit our car and tried to speed off. Mall security stopped her and the sheriff's department showed up and asked for our ID's at that point we handed the officer our dl's and cc permits and that's when we were threatened with jail and confiscation of firearms.

Oklahoma law specifically allows guns in parking lots regardless of property owners feelings. Also gun buster signs mean absolutely nothing and the property owner has to ask you to leave and you refuse before you can be charged with misdemeanor trespassing.

My point in pushing this issue is gun rights in Oklahoma are pretty specific and I don't feel like supporting a department that believes gun laws are in a position to be interpretative.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    what you are missing here is that the property owner has rights as well and it is his right to exclude people carrying weapons onto his property, it appears that you've been warned, like it or not you would be well advised to heed that warning.
    FWIW: you probably would have been better off not trying to assert your rights and just continued to carry there, remember concealed means concealed and if properly concealing nobody should ever be able to spot your weapon.
    In many states all you can be charged with, if caught, is trespassing, if and when you refuse to leave. In Connecticut, being caught carrying where posted and prohibited is a felony and will cost you $500, three years in jail and permanent loss of your firearm.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    In many states all you can be charged with, if caught, is trespassing, if and when you refuse to leave. In Connecticut, being caught carrying where posted and prohibited is a felony and will cost you $500, three years in jail and permanent loss of your firearm.
    almost the same in FLA, any property owner/manager can ask you to leave for almost any reason, if you refuse you can arrested for trespass, if armed at the time it becomes armed trespass and is a felony, at the minimum if convicted you lose your concealed carry license, however in fla signs are meaningless and regardless of a sign posted you can always be asked to leave

VIP Member
    Well, I have to say that you certainly have more energy than I would ever devote to this issue. In the end I'm not sure what you hope to achieve, but to each their own.
    jem102 and jmlampert23 like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Well, I have to say that you certainly have more energy than I would ever devote to this issue. In the end I'm not sure what you hope to achieve, but to each their own.
    Thank God for people like the OP who are willing to push back against officials who act as if they are above the law. Threatening law abiding citizens should never be tolerated by society. It is a noble cause to attempt to educate and correct poor behavior.

Some people sit back and enjoy the fruits of others labor. Where might we be if we all sat back with limited "energy".

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I cant believe you said that, cant you read?

John

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    Most cities and officials think the average citizen wont stand up for their rights. We have to, within the bounds of the law, or before we know it, we will lose those rights.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately they're right! Most people won't stand up for their rights-most people don't even know their rights!

Good luck, and please keep us posted. I have family in OKC and Edmond.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I live in Ok. and have my CCL. Gun signs mean nothing in Oklahoma. The law is very clear where you CAN NOT carry. Every where else you can legally carry. I am on your side in fighting this because law enforcement needs to be educated on this matter.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oufan08 View Post
    Just to catch a couple people up on the original incident, which may change your stance.

My gf and I were in the parking lot when a drunk driver hit our car and tried to speed off. Mall security stopped her and the sheriff's department showed up and asked for our ID's at that point we handed the officer our dl's and cc permits and that's when we were threatened with jail and confiscation of firearms.

Oklahoma law specifically allows guns in parking lots regardless of property owners feelings. Also gun buster signs mean absolutely nothing and the property owner has to ask you to leave and you refuse before you can be charged with misdemeanor trespassing.

My point in pushing this issue is gun rights in Oklahoma are pretty specific and I don't feel like supporting a department that believes gun laws are in a position to be interpretative.
    I think you (you = you and your GF) are on the right side of the issue. The police have no business calling you to harass or threaten you. They had no legal right to harass you to start with, and even less now. I hope you have a good lawyer and the resources to win the argument.

Fitch
    Freedom Doc likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    While I agree with this in most situations, remember his GF was told.....

"She said that it's posted "where the rules are that no guns are allowed" and thats sufficient enough and that if they ever see us and the think we're carrying will be stopped and searched and arrested if they find out guns."

You do not have to consent to a search and could fight it in court. If you left your weapon in your car you also do not have to let them search that either. This is still America, and you have rights.

All that said, why not just buy the stuff online and avoid the mall altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    - Where did you see the CT penalties? Handgunlaw.us says something different.

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
    “YES”
    Sec. 29-28 …Permit to Carry Pistol or Revolver…

(e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or
    carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is
    otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises.

Sec. 53a-110a. Simple Trespass: Infraction.
    (a) A person is guilty of simple trespass when, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he
    enters any premises without intent to harm any property.
    (b) Simple trespass is an infraction.

Good luck sir! keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Where did you see the CT penalties? Handgunlaw.us says something different.
    Handgunlaw is incomplete. The statute they quote is not specific to armed trespass. It does NOT address the penalty for violating 29-28. I don't remember the exact citation but it IS in the Connecticut statutes. If you don't believe me, try getting caught carrying in Brass Mill Mall in Waterbury. :)

FYI, every year the CSP tries to get a bill passed that makes open carry a felony, that makes accidental exposure of a concealed firearm a felony and MAKES PRINTING A FELONY.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links