Fiancee and I were talking last night. - Page 2

Fiancee and I were talking last night.

This is a discussion on Fiancee and I were talking last night. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BugDude Good perspective. I've come to expect people to be stupid...and they never seem to disappoint. Nothing to get angry about when ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fiancee and I were talking last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Good perspective.

I've come to expect people to be stupid...and they never seem to disappoint. Nothing to get angry about when you change your expectations of others.
    I too expect everyone I meet to be a complete and utter moron. And, as an extension, I tend to dislike everyone I meet at first (I know that is completely opposite of how most people are). This actually has made me MUCH less likely to be angry at people for being stupid or doing stupid things and, since I already assume someone is an idiot when I meet them and tend to not like them, if they turn out to be smart and not an idiot, I am plesantly surprised. If, in fact, the do end up being an idiot, it's no surprise at all.......I am very rarely surprised.
    tbrenke likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I learned long ago that you can't change other people, you can't control their actions, and never be surprised by anything people will do. The only person you can control is yourself and all you can do is manage your expectations of others. Set the bar low enough and handle yourself accordingly. All you can do.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I too expect everyone I meet to be a complete and utter moron. And, as an extension, I tend to dislike everyone I meet at first (I know that is completely opposite of how most people are). This actually has made me MUCH less likely to be angry at people for being stupid or doing stupid things and, since I already assume someone is an idiot when I meet them and tend to not like them, if they turn out to be smart and not an idiot, I am plesantly surprised. If, in fact, the do end up being an idiot, it's no surprise at all.......I am very rarely surprised.
    normally your not dissappointed in that expectation
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Wow........
    I don't think very many of us (including your fiancee ) WANT to shoot anyone even in self defense.

The rest of your post makes no sense to me.

Sounds to me like you have a problem communicating with your SO

Maybe she doesn't feel comfortable with the revolver??

Is she trained? - does she want to carry or not?
    BTW if meeting stupid people still makes you moan and shout you must not get out much......
    She is comfortable with it- she just likes the .45 better- which I agree with. It's not a matter of communication, she just always sees me with a gun close by; I have only left home without it three or four times since I moved up here with her. And three of those were this past week with my kidney stone- I was in no condition to have a loaded gun with me. And, no, she isn't interested in carrying- the gun stays on her nightstand.
    "Get out much"? I work in a shop; I deal with stupid EVERY DAY. 'I know my brakes are messed up and my car won't hardly stop, but all I 'need' right now is an oil change.' ........... That's just the most common thing I hear. Not the worst. A day without stupid for me, is like a day without having to deal with an annoying roommate- it doesn't happen often, but when it does it makes you realize just how much crap you normally have to deal with.
    ------------------------------------
    By the way, those of you that haven't seen it, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is pretty good.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    ROTF,
    I can relate to your view TN_Mike.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

There's no way on the face of this earth that I wanted a gun sitting around my EX. I even had all ammo locked up and I had the only keys and codes to it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    My HD handgun is as much as a fixture on my nightstand as my lamp is. My shotgun is as much of a fixture in the corner as the dust bunnies are. But i will not hesitate to grab either and go to work.

The shot gun or the dust bunnies??? Those dust bunnies could really be lethal to someone with allergies after all.

<sorry, I couldn't resist >
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by drkangl6 View Post
    The shot gun or the dust bunnies??? Those dust bunnies could really be lethal to someone with allergies after all.

<sorry, I couldn't resist >
    Maybe that's an added line of defense- if the BG has horrible allergies, they get a load of buckshot, and 'Dust Bunnies From HELL' aimed at their face.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Man, you don't wanna let other people make you angry all the time. Let other people control your state of mind? Not good! Part of the whole self defense concept is to be observant and expect the unexpected. If you're expecting it, then don't be surprised when it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I own many guns, I hope and pray the only time they ever get shot is at the range.
    I'm with you on that. There's someone here who has a line in their sig that says something like, "I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving it the same way." I have to agree with that. I'm not looking for it, but if the BG wants to bring it...
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Agreed 100%

As one who has worked at jobs requiring interface with the "public", I also agree with the "people can be stupid" staement
    (and cheap with money). They argue with you and when you do it their way, and it turns into crap, it was your fault....

What I would have done in the situation of the OP was to simply ask "which gun would you like me to hand you?"
    Then, its her choise, end of argument.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Sounds like we think about Self Defence & Stupid people the same way.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post

I am (unfortunately) a very angry person most of the time. Not necessarily violent, just stupid people make me angry, and I'm rather vocal about it. So, such a peace-oriented response from me surprised her.
    I 100% agree, we hope to never have the need to use the weapon in our holster, pocket, or on the night stand. We practice to maintain competancy, we interact here to increase our awareness and learn from others and events in the news. We have decided not bo be victims, but we really don't want to need the gun for self defense, and we try to live our lives in a way that minimizes exposure to the need for self defense.

That said, please take this as a constructive comment from one who doesn't suffer fools gladly and worked successfully to mellow out: If it were me, I'd be more concerned about being "very angry most of the time" than almost anything else in my life. I've known a few people who were "Very Angry Most Of The Time" - who found stupid people everywhere, and were more than a little vocal about it. Trust me on this, it isn't a feature. Life is a lot better if one isn't angry all the time.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I 100% agree, we hope to never have the need to use the weapon in our holster, pocket, or on the night stand. We practice to maintain competancy, we interact here to increase our awareness and learn from others and events in the news. We have decided not bo be victims, but we really don't want to need the gun for self defense, and we try to live our lives in a way that minimizes exposure to the need for self defense.

That said, please take this as a constructive comment from one who doesn't suffer fools gladly and worked successfully to mellow out: If it were me, I'd be more concerned about being "very angry most of the time" than almost anything else in my life. I've known a few people who were "Very Angry Most Of The Time" - who found stupid people everywhere, and were more than a little vocal about it. Trust me on this, it isn't a feature. Life is a lot better if one isn't angry all the time.

Fitch
    I know. I'm much better now than I was five years ago. ...I'm actually better now than I was one year ago... I blame it on her; once we started dating, she started mellowing me out. I'm getting better, but I still have a good way to go before I'm 'there'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links