Fiancee and I were talking last night.

This is a discussion on Fiancee and I were talking last night. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fiancee and I were talking last night, and I came to a conclusion that really confused her. I was sick of being at home, so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fiancee and I were talking last night.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Fiancee and I were talking last night.

Fiancee and I were talking last night, and I came to a conclusion that really confused her.

I was sick of being at home, so I took her out to a movie. I've learned the hard way that sitting in the same position with the Taurus on my hip hurts after a while, so I was carrying the .357. Which is usually on her side of the bed, being the easier 'point and shoot' gun. After we got home, I took the .357 out of it's holster and handed it to her only to get 'why do you always hand me THIS one?" So, after a moment of , I tell her because it's the easier gun to handle in a HS moment in the dark. And because I can't handle the .45, the .357, and the 12ga all at once -as much as I might like to- I only need two. So, I give in 'ok, here's the .45'. 'All it does is sit on my bedside table anyway'. I had another short moment, then responded with something she really didn't expect from me (of all people). I told her 'that's all it is supposed to do, the only use a gun should ever need to be put to is to be a really expensive paperweight.' Then, she had a moment. And then another, because I am (unfortunately) a very angry person most of the time. Not necessarily violent, just stupid people make me angry, and I'm rather vocal about it. So, such a peace-oriented response from me surprised her.

So, in the end, I really think I made a little bit of an impression on her, and made myself think a little. I know some of you will agree with me, but those of you that don't might want to stop and think about it for a minute. As I explained it to my mother almost two years ago when I first bought a handgun and mentioned getting my permit- 'I don't want to USE it. But, I am prepared-and willing- to use it.'
    INccwchris, SGT and Gunner3126 like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

I agree with your thinking process!
    SGT likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

right on
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

VIP Member
    I own many guns, I hope and pray the only time they ever get shot is at the range.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good perspective.

I've come to expect people to be stupid...and they never seem to disappoint. Nothing to get angry about when you change your expectations of others.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My HD handgun is as much as a fixture on my nightstand as my lamp is. My shotgun is as much of a fixture in the corner as the dust bunnies are. But i will not hesitate to grab either and go to work.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Right on, RevolvingMag. My goal is never to have to pick my gun up off the nightstand in the middle of the night, and if I do to never have to deploy it. It's such an old cliche that its lost much of its meaning even as a cliche, but the idea is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It's there on my nightstand or on my hip, and I train with it in preparation of an unfortunate day where I have to use it, but I certainly hope to never have to.

Since obtaining my permit, I have become a much more peaceful person, much less critical, much less vocal, much more aware, and 1000 times more likely to walk away from an argument or altercation of any kind. I am sorry to say, I was not always like that. For the first 45 years of my life, I relished the chance to find confrontation. Even went as far as working as a bouncer to find trouble. My, how time changes things. Now, you would have to actually try to put your hands on me to warrant a good face kick. Time mellows all!
    D

Amen!
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

PMA=Proper Mental Attitude.

Those with permits, for the most part, get the PMA sometime after acquiring the weapon, and the permit.

Some don't.

RM, you got it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I agree.

I do whatever possible to prevent needing to use my firearms. If I wanted to shoot someone I wouldn't have my lights on at night, a security system, doors locked and dead bolted and a security sign outside of my home and on every door/window we have.

It's a last resort where it's either them or me/my family, and I'll do whatever it takes to make sure it's them if the situation ever arises, until then I'm quite content living a peaceful life with a safe and healthy family.

I consider myself neutral. I am neither anxious nor reluctant to use my gun. Circumstances will determine my action.
    INccwchris and mr.stuart like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with you thought processes at all!
    NRA Life Member

I remember when learning to fight fire how much more confident I became when I learned how to use my equipment and then began to trust it. While a home intruder would terrify me ( hope it never happens) multiple pieces of "equipment" are placed around the house, once that equipment is in your hands and you are confident in its use, the fear will subside some and you can think more clearly and do what needs done.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Fiancee and I were talking last night, and I came to a conclusion that really confused her.

I was sick of being at home, so I took her out to a movie. I've learned the hard way that sitting in the same position with the Taurus on my hip hurts after a while, so I was carrying the .357. Which is usually on her side of the bed, being the easier 'point and shoot' gun. After we got home, I took the .357 out of it's holster and handed it to her only to get 'why do you always hand me THIS one?" So, after a moment of , I tell her because it's the easier gun to handle in a HS moment in the dark. And because I can't handle the .45, the .357, and the 12ga all at once -as much as I might like to- I only need two. So, I give in 'ok, here's the .45'. 'All it does is sit on my bedside table anyway'. I had another short moment, then responded with something she really didn't expect from me (of all people). I told her 'that's all it is supposed to do, the only use a gun should ever need to be put to is to be a really expensive paperweight.' Then, she had a moment. And then another, because I am (unfortunately) a very angry person most of the time. Not necessarily violent, just stupid people make me angry, and I'm rather vocal about it. So, such a peace-oriented response from me surprised her.

So, in the end, I really think I made a little bit of an impression on her, and made myself think a little. I know some of you will agree with me, but those of you that don't might want to stop and think about it for a minute. As I explained it to my mother almost two years ago when I first bought a handgun and mentioned getting my permit- 'I don't want to USE it. But, I am prepared-and willing- to use it.'
    Wow........
    I don't think very many of us (including your fiancee ) WANT to shoot anyone even in self defense.

The rest of your post makes no sense to me.

Sounds to me like you have a problem communicating with your SO

Maybe she doesn't feel comfortable with the revolver??

Is she trained? - does she want to carry or not?

BTW if meeting stupid people still makes you moan and shout you must not get out much......
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links