Concealed While Picking Someone Up from Airport? - Page 2

Concealed While Picking Someone Up from Airport?

This is a discussion on Concealed While Picking Someone Up from Airport? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; an interesting article I was reading this morning, happens to be on this subject Lee law change would allow guns, ammunition on RSW airport property ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Concealed While Picking Someone Up from Airport?

an interesting article I was reading this morning, happens to be on this subject

Lee law change would allow guns, ammunition on RSW airport property - POLL » Naples Daily News [FLORIDA]

Guns and ammunition no longer would be considered a prohibited “weapon” at Southwest Florida International Airport, if Lee County officials approve a proposed change to a local law.
    Under an order Gov. Rick Scott signed in June of this year, Lee commissioners already removed language in local ordinances that had prohibited carrying guns in public parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jensen View Post
    Subtle brag post :P

Sigh....I love Steven Gunn's response. I refuse to take responsibility for the protection of myself and those around me, to include my family. I hope it never comes to that....by the time he realizes how wrong he is, it might be too late.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    In Minnesota, the pick-up area is just another public place.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Congrats on that effort!

An excerpt from the linked story shows the interesting mind-set of the anti's:
    Jensen sees the signs as a nuisance to the uninformed, but he knows better. He arms himself for airport trips because he believes that supposedly gun-free zones are dangerous. "When someone has posted that they don't allow weapons, criminals see that as an opportunity," he said.

That hypothetical criminal is a bogeyman to Steven Gunn of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah. He knows state law allows guns into the airport, but he wishes it didn't. There are plenty of authorities with guns at the airport, he said.

"If you've got a concealed weapon, don't try to protect me," he said. "I'll take my chances with the security forces."
    I say get these people a t-shirt that says as much - "don't help me protect myself, I'll wait for the police!"

Now there's a maroon!! (the irony of this loop's last name is certainly not lost here )
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    don't help me protect myself, I'll wait for the police!"
    The infuriating thing is they really can't wrap their heads around that idea. I'd have more luck trying to ask a glass of milk why it tastes so delicious and actually getting a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Genkisudo View Post
    Subtle brag post :P
    Meh, I do what I can. I am pretty sweet though, huh?
    sigmanluke and Genkisudo like this.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

VIP Member
    Meh, I do what I can. I am pretty sweet though, huh?
    I am personally grateful for the work you have done, it is a benefit to us all.
    Kevin Jensen likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post
    OK, I have a friend coming to town next week. What I'd like to know is can I carry while I pick him up as I'm just meeting him at the curb?

~John
    Hi John,

I was just at the Bham International Airport last week to pick up a rental car. I walked all over the airport, in the terminal and in the rental car areas and was perfectly legal. The only posted signage says you can't carry past the security checkpoint (duh). But anywhere else is fair game in our great state of Alabama. Carry confidently.

You may not carry in an ANY part of Nevada airport.

Handgunlaw.us 3
    Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
    NRS 202.3673 Permittee Authorized to Carry Concealed Firearm While on Premises of Public Building; Exceptions; Penalty.
    1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of any public building.
    2. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.
    3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of:
    (a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.
    (b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    You may not carry in an ANY part of Nevada airport.

Handgunlaw.us 3
    Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
    NRS 202.3673 Permittee Authorized to Carry Concealed Firearm While on Premises of Public Building; Exceptions; Penalty.
    1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of any public building.
    2. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.
    3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of:
    (a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.
    (b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.
    Another reason to avoid NV.

As you possess a license, you need to know YOUR laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    As you possess a license, you need to know YOUR laws.
    Sometimes that's easier said than done. I know CO CRS forward amd backwards for weapons, CCW, wtc. The problem is that the airport and a few cities will use deceptive signage to intentionally confuse the unknownly shy. The airport say something like " Carrying a loaded firearm in DIA without legal authority is a felony punishable by 1 year in prison and/or $100,000 fine". Now to most ppl they don't seem to equate a CCW with legal authority with enough confidence to "carry on". DPD know it is legal by what CRS says, but if you call the desk at DIA they will lie.

This is always a contentious issue. Federal law states no guns in "sterile" areas, and really, what is the sterile area? Well it should be the place where security and beyond is, or the passenger terminal. But not all airports have their main building (where you walk in initially) as the same building as their terminal. Here at MCO/OIA, you have to take this monorail thing to one of the two terminals. However, most here recommend just not carrying if you're going inside, just to be "safe."

This is also a good time to remind those of us who regularly carry to double and triple check ourselves and our bags if we're headed to the airport for a flight of our own. It only takes a single forgotten loose round of .22LR to really mess up your day.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    This is always a contentious issue. Federal law states no guns in "sterile" areas, and really, what is the sterile area? Well it should be the place where security and beyond is, or the passenger terminal. But not all airports have their main building (where you walk in initially) as the same building as their terminal. Here at MCO/OIA, you have to take this monorail thing to one of the two terminals. However, most here recommend just not carrying if you're going inside, just to be "safe."

This is also a good time to remind those of us who regularly carry to double and triple check ourselves and our bags if we're headed to the airport for a flight of our own. It only takes a single forgotten loose round of .22LR to really mess up your day.
    my friend you need to get familiar with the laws in FLA, FLA law says that you cannot your gun into ANY terminal building of a commercial airport. so your advice not to carry inside just to be safe is right but for the wrong reasoning.
    FWIW the sterile area of the airport is the area beyond the security checkpoint.

Here is the actual text:

inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links