Concealed While Picking Someone Up from Airport?

This is a discussion on Concealed While Picking Someone Up from Airport? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At least the Florida law specifies the issue of checking your handgun for travel. At RDU, they have a large "No Firearms" sign at the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Concealed While Picking Someone Up from Airport?

At least the Florida law specifies the issue of checking your handgun for travel. At RDU, they have a large "No Firearms" sign at the entrance to the airport with the gun-busters logo. I am not free to ignore it in NC. It does not clarify anything such as curb pick-up, nor does it exempt bringing your handgun in its case for travel which I have done many times. In the name of being "safe", they make it very confusing.

Of course, as a NC legal gun owner and CHP holder, you're still relying on the whims of the DA in enforcing arcane and little-known laws.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    At least the Florida law specifies the issue of checking your handgun for travel. At RDU, they have a large "No Firearms" sign at the entrance to the airport with the gun-busters logo. I am not free to ignore it in NC. It does not clarify anything such as curb pick-up, nor does it exempt bringing your handgun in its case for travel which I have done many times. In the name of being "safe", they make it very confusing.

Of course, as a NC legal gun owner and CHP holder, you're still relying on the whims of the DA in enforcing arcane and little-known laws.
    I still think preemption makes those signs illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    not in FLA, the laws here are quite clear on this matter

Nope. Preemption is not the issue here. NC laws are ambiguous. The state is just now changing laws to allow to carry in their own state parks. Some towns such as Cary and Chapel Hill make it illegal to carry in their parks, city-owned facilities, and even city-owned parking lots. NC citizens need to vote in politicians to clean up the overlapping and incongruous firearms laws.

ITW
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Nope. Preemption is not the issue here. NC laws are ambiguous. The state is just now changing laws to allow to carry in their own state parks. Some towns such as Cary and Chapel Hill make it illegal to carry in their parks, city-owned facilities, and even city-owned parking lots. NC citizens need to vote in politicians to clean up the overlapping and incongruous firearms laws.
    Yep.

The laws are confusing and potentially threatening.

When at Charlotte Douglas, usually to pick up or drop off the wife I leave the gun in a bag in the car even with a current SC permit. After scrutinizing the law I've determined with the current state of affairs, it's just not practical or wise to carry everywhere I go. Especially considering the GFSZ. Which would make it a federal crime for me to to carry in NC outside of my vehicle within 1000 feet of school property.

The new NC law concerning state park carry goes into effect Dec. 1, 2011.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...PDF/H650v5.pdf

I understand this is extended to city and county parks as well. Although local entities may post signs at certain athletic fields, swimming areas, etc.. forbidding concealed carry.

It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks.buildings and their appurtenant premises. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government. If a unit of local government adopts such an ordinance with regard to recreational facilities, then the concealed handgun permittee may, nevertheless, secure the handgun in a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on the motor vehicle. For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following: a playground, an athletic field, a swimming pool, and an athletic facility."
    Last edited by ITW; September 8th, 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Check your local laws and go ahead and call the airport to verify their laws. I know in AZ you can carry all the way up to the gate. Once you try and go through the secured area it's a different story though.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post

The new NC law concerning state park carry goes into effect Dec. 11, 2011.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...PDF/H650v5.pdf

Dec 1, 2011.

ITW
    Dec 1, 2011.
    Yep, good call.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links