Hurricane emergency shelters.

This is a discussion on Hurricane emergency shelters. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a life long Florida Boy I would like to say prayers are sent for all in comeing days . Threw our bouts with storms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hurricane emergency shelters.

Hurricane emergency shelters.

As a life long Florida Boy I would like to say prayers are sent for all in comeing days .

Threw our bouts with storms most of the time we left when the time came .

We really never stayed in shelter .

I seem to recall that the order here was if you went to shelter the rules where

No pets .

No weapons.

That was never a option for us

Wonder how the powers that be at that time whould enforce the no weapon thing .

I for one in that case being in emergency shelter would want to be armed

Thoughts please

Stay Safe
    Last edited by Hot Wing; August 27th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Around here they are not allowing weapons in shelters but some are accepting pets. We are on high ground and in a house instead of a trailer and do not anticipate having to use a shelter so we can keep our pets and guns with us.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Shelters around me here in NC are in schools. That means no weapons.

VIP Member
    Like msgt/ret I'm on high ground, so unless I got some very strong winds (not likely this far inland with a Cat 1 hurricane) that damaged my house to the point I had to leave it, I'm not worried about shelter rules.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If it ever came to it I probably would try to drive until I found a hotel out of the danger area that I could stay in, I would do whatever I could to avoid ever using one of the emergency shelters
    Guantes and Brady like this.

Well, it's good to see you guys still online. Hang in there and stay away from trees!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Wow in last hour and half or so right before posting this we had not a cloud in sky no wind really bright sunshine.

It almost seems storm took a U turn

We have winds at 25 to 30 knotts a blinding rain .

It was not that bad when it was right on top of us yesterday

Stay safe all

Around here the County sends Corrections Officers to guard the shelters. Last hurricane they were short on sidearms so they were using a reserve of old S&W 4046 pistols (the issue before the current Glock 35). The jails use .38 and 9mm and had no .40 so they were carrying one magazine of reload FMJ from the Sheriff's training range.

ARs and shotguns are nice, but think about including a Kel Tec .32 and a pocket holster if you plan on using a shelter.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

We have ben getting strong wave of rain for the last few hours. They are saying the storm will get stronger along thr jersey coast sometime after midnight, and by 0600 we will be feeling the brunt of it. By around 1600 we should be in the clear.
    Hope everyone along the storms path makes out well.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Praying for those in the storms path. Just a little wind & rain here.
    SCGunLover1

I am a member of RACES= Radio amateur civil emergency service= and we provide radio communications for the shelters. Here, in the greater Orlando area, the shelters are in schools. So, the no weapons in schools applies.
    However, every shelter I worked in had a LEO there, in uniform for the duration of the shelter being opened.

The LEOs are ther to de-fuse any situation before it gets to the point where we would NEED a gun. After all, he has one and is trained.

I, too, feel naked w/o mine, but rules are rules.

We have 11 shelters in the county (Seminole). There are 2 special needs (those on oxygen, and other small medical devices) staffed with Doctors and nurses, 1 which accepts pets with a vet. They really have their act together.

The people with severe medical problems have arrangements for a place at the hospitals and outpatint centers. All Hospitals are also posted here.

Again, NONE of the shelters allow a CW for a civilian.

I can stay in my home, with all my resources close to hand, or go to a shelter where I will have little but the clothes on my back.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Never been ordered to evacuate and i live more inland (Miami). I wouldnt be armed either if i had to go to a emergency shelter. I would just keep it in my car
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

since a good amount of shelters are in schools and you can't bring guns into schools in FLA you don't get much of a choice, were you there for andrew?

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    since a good amount of shelters are in schools and you can't bring guns into schools in FLA you don't get much of a choice, were you there for andrew?
    Yes, We were there. Our group has a converted camping trailer with a genny, some antennas and radio gear for literally, world wide commuminations. we trailed it down there. We have soft badges showing we are RACES volunteers issued by our county sheriff.
    It was set up in a parking area near Cutler ridge(?). Two of us stayed 4 days. Yes, I was armed with aconcealed weapon, and so was my associate. There were LEOs in and out all day and night keeping watch on us.
    The people were very good about it, for we were providing word they were OK to their relatives and doing it
    pro bono.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links