Anybody ever carry an empty gun?

This is a discussion on Anybody ever carry an empty gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not trying to be boastful here, just matter of fact. I know 100% of the time the status and condition of all of my weapons ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anybody ever carry an empty gun?

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Not trying to be boastful here, just matter of fact. I know 100% of the time the status and condition of all of my weapons (i.e. where they are at, clean/dirty, loaded/unloaded, chambered/unchambered, cocked/locked/safetied, in a safe/immediately accessible, etc.). So, NO, I've never carried an empty gun. Unless I loan one of mine out to one of my buddies, I will continue my "perfect" record.
    Stubborn likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I see how it can happen with a revolver. But, I can definitely tell the difference in weight with my semi-automatics.
    I agree. With my Glock 19, a significant portion of the weight comes from the ammo. if I picked up the gun and it was empty, I'd notice something wrong right away. Now, admittedly, my little .380 only holds 6+1 rounds and I don't carry it enough to be as "in tune" with the weight. So I suppose it might be possible with that one.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Well, sort of. I usually open carry my G26 around home with a 17 round magazine in it. When I go out I swap that for a 10 in it and an extra 10 on my belt. I usually start this process by pulling the 17 rounder and putting it in the pouch when I holster my pistol (when upstairs putting things on), then I go down to the safe to swap magazines around.

Realized one day in the grocery store that I had a 17 round magazine on my belt and a G26 in the holster with one in the chamber but no magazine. So, not empty and with plenty of ammunition, just not in the usual configuration. Still, not a good feeling.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    LOL...I've never done that.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Nope, never done that.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Actually, I can beat that but I'm too chicken to share.
    You mean, maybe, going out with an empty holster?

Not that I know anything about that.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    The only time that I have ever carried an empty weapon was when I was in the Army. Go figure.

In basic training, other than trips to the firing range, those rifles were never loaded. We just lugged them around.
    Gotta love the military, did the same thing in USAF. Down side is it was in RVN, had to call command post for permission to lock and load.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's like walking out the house without my pants on....Nope never done none of 'em!
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    lol^^ been there, done that. Thank god I had my back up.

My question is, why do you unload your guns? lock em up loaded, take em out, their still loaded, put em by your bed loaded and pick em up and they should still be loaded.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Accidentally? Never, ever.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have left the house with my 1911 fully loaded,but forgot my spare mags,which left me with 9 rounds instead of the usual 25
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I once forgot to insert a magazine. I had chamberd a round dropped the magazine to top it off
    the phone rang so I holstered my 1911 picked up the phone & left the magazine on my dresser.

There is no excuse for that.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Yup. Embarrassing but yup. Did some dry firing the night before and forgot to load the model 19 back up. Discovered that at the end of that next day, a day spent in enforcement activity, when I got home and there were the bullets. Right on my dresser where I had left them the night before. I did have my spare 6-pack on my belt for what that might have been worth.

Can't say that I have ever carried an empty handgun concealed. I always check to see if they are loaded and ready to go. Takes just a second with a revolver and I have a "round in chamber indicator" on my 9mm so again it is a quick look. Unless you are so distracted by other things beforehand, I really can't see doing it at all.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    No, can't say I have. But then I check my gun every time I holster it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links