Anybody ever carry an empty gun?

This is a discussion on Anybody ever carry an empty gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where are the california people? *swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anybody ever carry an empty gun?

Where are the california people?

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

2. Remove Ads

So OP, you're not alone. Sounds like there have been a few of us that have set ourselves up for the NC. (Negligent Click)
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Nope. Never have and never will. I like to believe I am aware of everything I do and especially my defensive weapon. Everyone makes a mistake once in awhile but you were very lucky. If I take the rounds out of gun to show someone the gun, I keep the magazine or rounds in my hand so the rounds go back in the gun when I get it back.

To take this one step further, when I go to the range, I normally take three guns. One stays loaded at all times. I get nervous around people with loaded guns and mine are empty. When I prepare to leave the range, two empty guns go back in the range bag while the third and fully loaded gun goes back in my holster.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

VIP Member
    Nope. But I've learned to never underestimate how stupid I can be.

I've probably avoided this thus far by never handling a firearm without checking the chamber. Given my above self-observation, I sometimes check the chamber twice.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    lol^^ been there, done that. Thank god I had my back up.

My question is, why do you unload your guns? lock em up loaded, take em out, their still loaded, put em by your bed loaded and pick em up and they should still be loaded.
    That's my philosophy. Every gun in my safe is loaded.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell

Crossing Myself Before Work

When I was a Chief of Police and my vehicle was in the shop for maintenance, I'd have one of the Detectives pick me up at my residence. Each morning I walk out the door and check for my reading glasses, make sure my pants were zipped up and that I had my pistol or what I called, "Spectacles, testicles, Gun" . One morning the Detective who was picking me up said, "I didn't know that you're Catholic Chief". I replied that I wasn't. He said, "Every morning that you come out of the house, I see you cross youself". I said, "No, I'm not crossing myself, I just checking to make sure that I've not left the three important things that I carry with me". He said, "What that? to which I replied, ""Spectacles, testicles, Gun".

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Good thing you didn't need it. It would have been the loudest "click" you ever heard.

I've never had a time where I carried an empty gun. Accidentally or on purpose.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Gotta love the military, did the same thing in USAF. Down side is it was in RVN, had to call command post for permission to lock and load.
    Funny, I remember coming back in from the bush, ragged ass tired,, meaner than a bear with a bad tooth. We were sent to the AF 'dining facility' near Da Nang on the way. Some numbnuts tried to make us leave our weapons outside under AF security. Then one tried to take the Lt's piece. Bad move. We ate, kept our weapons (loaded) and then moved on. I don't suppose they'll ever forget that guys 'dirty skivvies' episode. Skinny little Lt. had some real STONES!

As for me personally?? All these years from my first intro to firearms?? Nope!

ALL of my weapons are ALWAYS loaded, even when they aren't. It's a mind set kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I can top that! When I was with the 101st at Ft Campbell back in 1963, I actually had to walk guard duty at the ammo dump one night with an empty M14! The only time our weapons were loaded was when we were at the range. All other times we had no ammo! The ammo dump was out in the boonies, and if anyone was to try to break in to steal anything, I was supposed to butt stroke em with the rifle! Didn't even have a radio or any means to call for help! Made a whole lot of sense! But then, that's the military mind for you. Don't trust the privates with a gun and ammo!
    Heard it all the time when I was in the Marine Corps, "The two most dangerous things in the Marine Corps were a 2nd Lt and a PFC with a duty belt"......................... Hey, I'm just saying!

Never grabbed an unloaded gun, but ONCE (years ago) I did grab the wrong extra mag...have never done that again.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've never carried an empty gun, but once, after putting the belt and holster on, I forgot to put the gun in the holster and carried it around empty for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
    To take this one step further, when I go to the range, I normally take three guns. One stays loaded at all times. I get nervous around people with loaded guns and mine are empty. When I prepare to leave the range, two empty guns go back in the range bag while the third and fully loaded gun goes back in my holster.
    I do the same thing when out shooting. I always keep one gun loaded. You never know who might drop by.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Stunned disbelief, just can't imagine the scenario.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Never carried an empty loaded gun
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

I carried my SP empty for about a week in my jacket pocket. I had another gun on my belt fully loaded. I did go to an apartment one time to serve a warrant before I was firearms certified, there happened to be another Constable at the same building. On my way up the steps behind him I noticed there was no mag in his Glock. I didn't tell him until we got back out of the building he checked it, no mag.. said I must have dropped it, chamber check...nothing. Number of extra mags on his belt 0. I vowed to not work with him after that. He never keeps chamber full and never carries any spares.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links