Working in the worst spots of CA - no gun allowed - Page 2

Working in the worst spots of CA - no gun allowed

This is a discussion on Working in the worst spots of CA - no gun allowed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood So I work in the worst areas of Southern California. We are talking Compton, Inglewood, Walnut Park, Watts, etc. Basically I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Working in the worst spots of CA - no gun allowed

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    So I work in the worst areas of Southern California. We are talking Compton, Inglewood, Walnut Park, Watts, etc. Basically I am a field engineer looking at over head power structures, so I have to get out of my vehicle and my focus has to be taken away from my situational awareness for at least a little bit in order for me to complete my job. To make matters worse my work vehicle is labeled as working for the power company - and sometimes I have to inform people that there houses/businesses will be experiencing a scheduled outage. People, especially in the poorer communities, really don't like the clean cut white guy coming around telling them their power is going to be shut off. More than a few scenes have been made. I can't carry because its California, and I'm not allowed to carry a useful fixed blade because it's against company policy.

My only defense right now is my situational awareness and my posture. I try to communicate with my posture that "I'm not an easy target, but I'm not an aggressor." I also carry a 4" folder knife, but I doubt that would be effective against a group, which is what I am worried about most. So any non conventional or conventional defensive tactics would be much appreciated as well as tools that might aid in my defense if I am attacked by a group.

In advance, please don't say "leave California." I would if I could. Please don't say "quit your job." I'm getting a transfer soon.

Thanks,

SDG
    File for a CWP with the sheriff. When denied contact the NRA and a lawyer and sue the county for denying you your right to defend yourself.
    Pistology likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    many states ( CT is one) view BP as a dangerous weapon. not as a gun. thus many who have lost a permit to carry and are waiting for their hearing get one....or 2. the NAA Companion is very popular. with a dash of bullseye it is a effective 22 magnum and legal to carry. actually shooting someone with it will begin your troubled times...but if you had to pull the trigger, you already knew that.
    check how Cally views the Companion.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    So I work in the worst areas of Southern California. We are talking Compton, Inglewood, Walnut Park, Watts, etc. Basically I am a field engineer looking at over head power structures, so I have to get out of my vehicle and my focus has to be taken away from my situational awareness for at least a little bit in order for me to complete my job. To make matters worse my work vehicle is labeled as working for the power company - and sometimes I have to inform people that there houses/businesses will be experiencing a scheduled outage. People, especially in the poorer communities, really don't like the clean cut white guy coming around telling them their power is going to be shut off. More than a few scenes have been made. I can't carry because its California, and I'm not allowed to carry a useful fixed blade because it's against company policy.

My only defense right now is my situational awareness and my posture. I try to communicate with my posture that "I'm not an easy target, but I'm not an aggressor." I also carry a 4" folder knife, but I doubt that would be effective against a group, which is what I am worried about most. So any non conventional or conventional defensive tactics would be much appreciated as well as tools that might aid in my defense if I am attacked by a group.

In advance, please don't say "leave California." I would if I could. Please don't say "quit your job." I'm getting a transfer soon.

Thanks,

SDG
    Found this for you. It may be a long shot because it's southern Ca. but may be worth a try...

"A license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the
    person may be granted by the sheriff of a county to an applicant who spends a substantial
    amount of time employed within that county. Such a license is valid only in the county
    issued and is valid for any period of time not to exceed 90 days from the date of issuance.
    (Penal Code § 12050.)"

Taken from... http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/...a4f8/9/hilite/ (page 34)

Looks like you'll have to get in touch with that county's Sheriff's Dept. and find out if that is something you can do.

Good Luck!
    Pistology likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    OC spray, tazer, ASP, kubaton, locking blade knife, cane, the tools on your belt, etc etc
    Research California laws and find out what you can legally carry. Probably not much, but something is better than nothing.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    What about OC spray?
    Bet his employer wouldn't like that.

The OP is in a tough spot, period. He is likely to be face with a house full of angry people and if he pulls a spray or knife he's done, over and out! The people in those neighborhood simply aren't threatened by anything and they hurt people who threaten them. Don't think for a minute they haven't personally experienced pepper spray or had a gun pointed at them. Even if he did pull a gun they would only get more angry. The only chance he has is to talk his way out being as ticked off at the power company as they are as he backs himself into his vehicle and promise to deliver their message loud and clear to the bossman who can actually do something to help them. In other words become their spokesman.

I worked for a utility and more than once went into a single family residence to find 10-15 people sleeping all over the place to repair a phone they tore out of the wall. Attitudes are belligerent as if I broke the phone myself. That's the time to agree the blankity blank company is run by greedy blanks that rip off us hard working common folk. Of course then you have to turn down the wine or beer and get out of there as soon as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    The OP is in a tough spot, period. He is likely to be face with a house full of angry people and if he pulls a spray or knife he's done, over and out! The people in those neighborhood simply aren't threatened by anything and they hurt people who threaten them. Don't think for a minute they haven't personally experienced pepper spray or had a gun pointed at them. Even if he did pull a gun they would only get more angry. The only chance he has is to talk his way out being as ticked off at the power company as they are as he backs himself into his vehicle and promise to deliver their message loud and clear to the bossman who can actually do something to help them. In other words become their spokesman.

I worked for a utility and more than once went into a single family residence to find 10-15 people sleeping all over the place to repair a phone they tore out of the wall. Attitudes are belligerent as if I broke the phone myself. That's the time to agree the blankity blank company is run by greedy blanks that rip off us hard working common folk. Of course then you have to turn down the wine or beer and get out of there as soon as you can.
    Unfortunately, this is the best advice I've seen posted yet. Put the the guy getting paid the big bucks to do his job and ensure that your work environment is safe.Written documentation of an "unsafe working environment" usually gets the attention of the higher ups anywhere.

I feel your pain. I am one who moved out of CA 25 years ago. I used to work in Inglewood and would have to travel to Lynwood down Imperial Hwy a couple of times a week. Even then I didn't like it and there were lots of problems. It is only worse now.

Get a permit if you can, but carry something in your vehicle, even if it is a sledge hammer handle that you "just bought" to fix the broken one at home.

I too, worked in this area of California when first discharged from the USAF in 1977. I thought I was a bad a$$ since I was a Security Police K-9 handler, while in the Air Force.

I worked for a guard dog company, mainly working for companies with on-going union strikes. I knew that firearms were forbotten, but that went out the window after the first night of work.

From then, until I quit three weeks later, my buddies Colt Commander went with me every night. A .45 and a dog felt alot more comforting. Yes, I agree, it's better to be judged by 12!

TVJ
    A long, sharpened flathead screwdriver

for work
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

I'm with you. I work in San Bernardino, CA (once considered the most dangerous city in the U.S.) and I routinely work until 2 a.m. This is not a place I want to be in the middle of the night without protection. I have pepper spray and stun gun, but still feel extremely vulnerable. My name is down for a ccw interview, but they are well over a year behind.
    And He said to them, “...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." - Luke 22:36

I feel your pain, friend. Lived in southern cali off and on for 60 years and know the laws are liberal in favor of the BGs. My last job there was in a K-12 school district where the high schools were divided up by the district into "gang zones" so the Mex gangs were not in the same area as the black gangs or the Samoan gangs. Here is the only advice I can offer: OC is probably out, baseball bats are illegal to carry in your car in some socal counties UNLESS it is accompanied with the ball and glove and you are on your way to the park, BASICALLY stick to your TOOLS for your job for carry in your work truck. Tire iron under the seat, short handled sledge behind the seat, whatever tools you normally work with are your fighting weapons (anything that you would not normally carry in the work truck glares in the eyes of the regular policeman and the 'hood rat. Be non-threatening and pleasant in all encounters out there. Good luck, friend.

BTW: You probably do not have a chance in hell of getting a CCW. Maybe, possibly, keep your positive outlook. BUT there definitely is NO CHANCE IN HELL your employer is going to let you carry on the job.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

It sounds like your employer is putting you in a legitimately dangerous situation without much regard for your personal safety. OSHA wouldn't allow them to send you up an 12 ft ladder without you wearing a safety harness and helmet, but it's okay for them to send you into an area with a well documented high crime rate while unarmed and unprotected. Your politeness and posture won't mean much to an irrational crackhead who feels that he might be able to get enough cash off of you to fuel his addiction for another day.

If it were me... I would VERY DISCREETLY carry a GUN until I could get transferred out of there. Law enforcement is very unlikely to search a uniformed power company employee in a marked vehicle, even in a road block or traffic stop.

If a situation arises where you actually have to use the gun, at least you'll be alive to explain to your employer or the GREAT HIPPY STATE of CALIFORNIA why you cannot and will not rely on their policies/laws to keep you safe from harm. And, if you keep your nose clean, a situation that leads up to you needing to use a gun should serve as a pretty good example as to why felt the need to be armed in the first place.
    Freedom Doc likes this.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I appreciate everyone's input and support. I've had good results with the "stick it to the man" / "I'm on your team" approach. I also found a piece of sturdy steel, roughly 1/2 thick (26"x1/2"x1.5") with holes drilled at either end. It is painted white and looks very pedestrian; however, I am able to swing it with seemingly desirable results. I also found some sturdy screw drivers. I found these just in time too as I was chased by a pit bull on Friday. The darn thing got loose when someone opened their front door across the street from where I was working, and it took off right after me like I was for dinner. I managed to stay in orange (where my awareness level stays most of the time in certain areas) long enough to take evasive action. Hopped over a 4 foot fence and announced to the owner that "if this dog comes over the fence its going to get hurt." Lots of growling ensued, but I stood by to perform the whack-o-mole tactic if it came over. She restrained it and I took off.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Habit View Post
    Thanks for the link clarifying the LA Muni Code, the convoluted weapons laws in this state make me want to cry at times. However I disagree that "the OP's 4" folder clipped inside his pocket should not be a legal problem". (1.) The LA Muni Code 13.62.010 reads "As used in this chapter, the terms “knives and daggers” shall include any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length" (2) A knife clipped in a pocket could be considered in plain view.
    But closed, it's not considered lethal
    A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not
    prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use
    as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death
    only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position. -CALIFORNIA CODES
    PENAL CODE
    SECTION 12020-12040
    As I posted the state doesn't prohibit a sheathed regular knife (except where the following sections define special knives)
    20200. A knife carried in a sheath that is worn openly suspended
    from the waist of the wearer is not concealed within the meaning of
    Section 16140, 16340, 17350, or 21310. - State Penal Code
    Below, I'm not sure if LA County Code closes the loophole by prohibiting sheathed knives

13.62.020 Carrying knives and daggers in plain view prohibited.
    It is unlawful for any person to carry on his person, in plain view, any knife or dagger. (Ord. 11915 § 2, 1979.) - LA Muni Code
    But 3" is over the limit in the city.

Posters on Calguns.net say
    For a folder, any part of the knife visible, including the pocket clip, forces it under the 3" limit (Los Angeles).
    You can indeed carry a fixed blade knife in a sheath open on your belt in the City of Los Angeles, it just has to be under 3 inches in length.
    Last edited by Pistology; October 10th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links