Working in the worst spots of CA - no gun allowed

This is a discussion on Working in the worst spots of CA - no gun allowed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I work in the worst areas of Southern California. We are talking Compton, Inglewood, Walnut Park, Watts, etc. Basically I am a field engineer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Working in the worst spots of CA - no gun allowed

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

So I work in the worst areas of Southern California. We are talking Compton, Inglewood, Walnut Park, Watts, etc. Basically I am a field engineer looking at over head power structures, so I have to get out of my vehicle and my focus has to be taken away from my situational awareness for at least a little bit in order for me to complete my job. To make matters worse my work vehicle is labeled as working for the power company - and sometimes I have to inform people that there houses/businesses will be experiencing a scheduled outage. People, especially in the poorer communities, really don't like the clean cut white guy coming around telling them their power is going to be shut off. More than a few scenes have been made. I can't carry because its California, and I'm not allowed to carry a useful fixed blade because it's against company policy.

My only defense right now is my situational awareness and my posture. I try to communicate with my posture that "I'm not an easy target, but I'm not an aggressor." I also carry a 4" folder knife, but I doubt that would be effective against a group, which is what I am worried about most. So any non conventional or conventional defensive tactics would be much appreciated as well as tools that might aid in my defense if I am attacked by a group.

In advance, please don't say "leave California." I would if I could. Please don't say "quit your job." I'm getting a transfer soon.

Thanks,

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

What about OC spray?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I agree with Zacii...carry spray and if questioned by management tell them it's for loose dogs.
    Gforty likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    OC spray, tazer, ASP, kubaton, locking blade knife, cane, the tools on your belt, etc etc
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I drove a tractor trailer for a grocery company during the Watts riot. Made deliveries in Watts & Compton to Mom & Pop stores with buildings still smoldering next door. I carried an aluminum baseball bat around with me until things settled down.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    OC spray, tazer, ASP, kubaton, locking blade knife, cane, the tools on your belt, etc etc
    Yep! OC spray for small groups, dogs, & such, a small but sturdy flashlight, and the tools on your belt can all all serve in an emergency. PLUS, get yourself some training in a combative (non-sport) martial art such as San Soo or Krav Maga. A lot can be learned in just a few weekend seminars if you are motivated.

Your Situational awareness will have to be developed as a scanning technique based on the amount of open area you have around you. Work, scan, work, scan, and so on, never giving anyone a chance to approach without you being aware. Pilots do this all the time-never letting their attention focus on one instrument for very long, then moving on to the next. It will probably slow down your work at first but after a bit of time it should become second nature.

Where you actually have to talk to the customers to let them know what's going on, it sounds like your "not aggressive, but not a target" posture is the way to go; maybe play a little "good power co. employee on their side against the evil power co."

Good luck, get that training, and when you make your escape from Kalifornia, turn off the lights and bring the keys with you!

Wow stay safe

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My first thought was OC spray. A few weeks ago, I saw a link to "tactical pens", which you might want to google for. If I recall correctly, they were full functional writing instruments that double as a defensive weapon. They had interchangeable parts, for things like the cap so you could choose what type of force (e.g. sharp point versus blunt) to inflict.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    So I work in the worst areas of Southern California. We are talking Compton, Inglewood, Walnut Park, Watts, etc...... I can't carry because its California, and I'm not allowed to carry a useful fixed blade because it's against company policy....

Thanks,

SDG
    And I sincerely apoligize on behalf of those of us in California who have some common sense but aren't enough of us to establish the vote.

As others have said, spray may be a good thing. Or maybe your company would let you bring a K9 companion that only likes YOU.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    And I sincerely apoligize on behalf of those of us in California who have some common sense but aren't enough of us to establish the vote.
    Those with common sense say..."Better to be judged by 12 than be carried by 6".

What county do you reside in?

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    In CA an ASP (more commonly referred to as a baton), kubaton and a cane is considered a felony under section 12020 of the CA penal code.

BTW, that 4" folder you claim to carry is also illegal in the LA city limits. I believe it's no longer than 2 1/2".

Don't hate me, I'm just a player in this game as well :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    My first thought was OC spray. A few weeks ago, I saw a link to "tactical pens", which you might want to google for. If I recall correctly, they were full functional writing instruments that double as a defensive weapon. They had interchangeable parts, for things like the cap so you could choose what type of force (e.g. sharp point versus blunt) to inflict.
    CA Penal Code 12020. (a):
    Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses...any ballistic knife...any nunchaku...any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken [ed: "throwing star"]...any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Habit View Post
    In CA an ASP (more commonly referred to as a baton), kubaton and a cane is considered a felony under section 12020 of the CA penal code.

BTW, that 4" folder you claim to carry is also illegal in the LA city limits. I believe it's no longer than 2 1/2".

Don't hate me, I'm just a player in this game as well :)
    Regarding the state knife laws, http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf says
    PC 12020 & 653k & 626.10 & 12001.1 & 12028 No Limit Jim March in his CA knife Law paper states there is no blade length for Pocket knives. No Knife with a blade Longer Than 2 ˝ inches on the grounds of any Private/Public College or University (626.10)
    Regarding LA, Muni Code 13.62.010 prohibits carrying in plain view a knife with a blade of length of three inches or more but does not prohibit possession concealed and exempts bona fide tools. Except on school grounds, the OP's 4" folder clipped inside his pocket should not be a legal problem.

State law may be relevant in your decision
    20200. A knife carried in a sheath that is worn openly suspended
    from the waist of the wearer is not concealed within the meaning of
    Section 16140, 16340, 17350, or 21310.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Anything that u use in case something happens will result in a big mess. A whole community will jump on you. A white guy in a bad community defending himself, the community will see that as a racial attack and will jump on you.

Ill say though just use good posture, be good with the community and try to talk yourself out of any altercation as first defense. I say just be polite and everything and just be cool. Use OC spray as last defense. Or just tell your bosses about the risks about the place youre going to, they should understand and transfer you.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    CA Penal Code 12020. (a):

Regarding the state knife laws, http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf says

Regarding LA, Muni Code 13.62.010 prohibits carrying in plain view a knife with a blade of length of three inches or more but does not prohibit possession concealed and exempts bona fide tools. Except on school grounds, the OP's 4" folder clipped inside his pocket should not be a legal problem.

State law may be relevant in your decision
    Thanks for the link clarifying the LA Muni Code, the convoluted weapons laws in this state make me want to cry at times. However I disagree that "the OP's 4" folder clipped inside his pocket should not be a legal problem". (1.) The LA Muni Code 13.62.010 reads "As used in this chapter, the terms “knives and daggers” shall include any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length" (2) A knife clipped in a pocket could be considered in plain view.

Keeping tools on a belt (that could end up being a weapon of opportunity) would be an easier to defend in court and may be a more effective weapon as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links