Acting irresponsibly

This is a discussion on Acting irresponsibly within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would not try to talk to an individual like that. I would just get out of the place. If you think he is doing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Acting irresponsibly

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I would not try to talk to an individual like that. I would just get out of the place. If you think he is doing something illegal, just call the police and let them handle it (from a long distance away).

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    From the little said, I wouldn't have thought he was guilty of brandishing.OMOYNV
    I agree that it does not sound like a true case of "brandishing", but I like to err on the side of staying out of jail.
    My understanding is that if you show your gun in public for any reason not related to a self defense situation, you could be charged with brandishing, whether intentional or not. Some people get a bit crazy at the sight of any gun, and I think it would depend on the people at the gathering as to whether they felt threatened by the guys actions. Definitely can see how this guys actions would be considered "careless" and would also depend on the level of firearms law knowledge the responding LEO have. No, he did not threaten anyone....but that does not mean the people did not feel intimidated by its presence and the guys actions. JMO. (I sure would not pull the stunt he did).
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I agree that it does not sound like a true case of "brandishing", but I like to err on the side of staying out of jail.
    My understanding is that if you show your gun in public for any reason not related to a self defense situation, you could be charged with brandishing, whether intentional or not.
    Not sure how it is in Texas, and I don't believe this is the case for this example, but here in FL intentionally brandishing carries a 5 year minimum mandatory sentence.

When I first read it I thought dipstick left it in his vehicle,but if he left an unsecure weapon rolled up in his jacket,or just stuck in a pocket that tells me he isn't being responsible,usually these types don't carry for very long before they get the attention they so crave,but usually from a guy with a badge
    pocketgroove likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    The other day I was at a wedding and one of the people at my table seemed to be acting a little irresponsibly. First off, I noticed that he had an empty belt holster visible on his belt. He was wearing a shirt and tie and no jacket. Since Texas is a concealed carry state, I think he should have been more discrete in showing his holster, even though it was empty. There's no need to let other people know that he's a concealed carrier. I didn't know the guy so I kept quiet, but someone else at the table asked him where his gun was. He said he had taken it off because he planned to dance and didn't want it getting in the way.
    Later in the evening, I look up and see the guy with his gun in his hand and in a quick motion, he bends over and, while he's got his hands under the table, he mumbles something about needing to "get dressed" and I see his arms moving and hear the unmistakable sound of the slide being racked. He then stands up, sticks the gun in his holster and puts on his jacket. All the while, he's visible to everyone at the table and basically in the room.

Again, I didn't say anything, but in thinking about this whole episode over the last few days, I think I should have said something like: "I really appreciate that you're an armed citizen, but don't you think a little discretion would be called for? You don't know if someone in the room might have been an officer who could have arrested you for brandishing. Also, someone might have seen a man with a gun and called 9-1-1."

What do you think? Should I have said something? What would you do in a situation like this?
    Let the guy know that his stupid behavior puts the rest of us in jeopardy.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Hey look at me I'm a BAD mofo with a gun. Better not try sumtin or you'll be sorry.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    from all who say that they do not do stupid things or hang out with stupid people or go stupid places.....

sometime it can happen that they come to you. like this guy.
    if he is handling a (was?) loaded gun in a location where others are in motion and may jostle him...
    he is creating a danger and just 'me' leaving does not help others if a bullet should get loose.

tell the host/hostess and let them decide what to do. i would not be talking to a stranger under these conditions
    where drinking is likely. and he has already displayed poor judgement skills cause if he 'needs' to carry at a wedding,
    he should have planed his choice of gun and holster before hand.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    IMO this is the kind of clown that ends up at some point having an ND. In the holster, out of the holster, racking the slide under the table with no visual reference, bad news. Also at a wedding reception, he has probably had some drinks, further clouding his mind/judgement.
    I would have gathered my loved ones and left the scene. Safely in the car I would have made the MWG call to get him the attention he is so desperately looking for.
    I also agree with "Zonker", here in Florida, the brandishing law states in a "rude or careless" manner, in my mind it qualifies as both. Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator
    LEO or not, this dude needs a swift kick in the backside. I hate dumbasses like that.
    Tigers and Anubis like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not that it matters one way or another... I'm just curious as to the age of this joker?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's types like these that gives the anti's ammo for their argument.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

My biggest issue would have been loading (racking the slide) in the room with the whole wedding party there. He should have gone outside or to an empty room to load. He wasn't in immediate danger, so no reason the be working the action of the gun among other people. When I load or unload (and I carry a revolver) I always do it where I am alone. Too many accidents occur during this process. Tennessee BTW is an OC state, so brandishing is not an issue I can really address.
    ep1953 likes this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

concealed means concealed. If I can see yours, you are doing it wrong.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    In Florida, Mr. Macho-man is guilty of brandishing.....doesn't Texas have a similar law? This guy flaunted his gun and no one said a word to him? Here he would have gotten a visit from the boys with funny green suits and big shiny stars, and big black Glocks....pointed directly at him. Handling a gun the way he did is how innocent people die every day, and this clown obviously is new to carry and trying to impress his friends.....he needed the wake up call. Too bad no one gave it to him.

from the Florida Statutes.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    Highly unlikely in view of the new change to that statute. As long as he's keeping the spotlight on himself, he keeps it off of me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Not sure how it is in Texas, and I don't believe this is the case for this example, but here in FL intentionally brandishing carries a 5 year minimum mandatory sentence.
    There is no "brandishing law in FL, only "improper exhibition." With the recent change in that statute, if he has a CWFL it's highly unlikely that he could be charged. Brandishing implies he used the firearm in a threatening manner (a case of assault with a deadly weapon, not brandishing), which doesn't seem to be the case here. Rude or careless? That's a matter of opinion, and since that definition is not clear and concise, it would be tough to prosecute. What one person considers "rude" or "careless" may not be what others feel.

Regardless, not a smart move on the guy's part.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links