Acting irresponsibly - Page 3

Acting irresponsibly

This is a discussion on Acting irresponsibly within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dadsnugun The guy is obviously more interested in having everyone know he's CCW (which kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me) ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Acting irresponsibly

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    The guy is obviously more interested in having everyone know he's CCW (which kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me) than in being discrete and cautious about the way he handles a deadly weapon in public. Politely excuse yourself and get the heck out of range!
    Agreed. It sounds like he wanted the attention.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    it is people like him that the antis refer to when they go on their idiotic rants about foolish gun nuts who are using their guns to
    compensate for other deficiencies.
    You could of had a quiet chat with him about being more discrete, then again he was probably "lubed" up and wouldn't have been to friendly to his acting like an arse being pointed out
    Seems to me that idiots like this make their arguments sound a little less idiotic to the "normal" folks...kind of make their point for them. So, the question is, how do we police our own?
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There is no "brandishing law in FL, only "improper exhibition." With the recent change in that statute, if he has a CWFL it's highly unlikely that he could be charged. Brandishing implies he used the firearm in a threatening manner (a case of assault with a deadly weapon, not brandishing), which doesn't seem to be the case here. Rude or careless? That's a matter of opinion, and since that definition is not clear and concise, it would be tough to prosecute. What one person considers "rude" or "careless" may not be what others feel.

Regardless, not a smart move on the guy's part.
    I mostly agree with you "OldVet",

from the Florida Statutes.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    You are very much correct in that "rude" would be based on personal opinion, however I believe the OP made a very strong case for "careless".

To the best of my knowledge, with regards to the statute changes it only covers "inadvertant displays" not intentional displays.
    But Florida law really is a moot point here, as this incident took place in Texas.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by garyacman View Post
    Get the heck out and do it now.
    Says it all...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Question:

How do you know this guy even had a CHL? Did you personally see his permit? If he did have a license, in my opinion it should be revoked immediately!

I do often handle my pistol publicly, but with extreme discretion... For example, before entering a restricted place, Mr. Glocky goes into my secondary holster in the very back of the parking-lot before I ever park.

How to deal with this:

In my opinion, if you know him - gently bring it up...

If you don't know him, explain the situation to someone that does know him. Express your feelings, express you had a firearm on you, and make sure the danger factor gets relayed....

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Yeah, seconded at leaving the vicinity.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    You were in a tough spot & you dident leave because you knew someone had to watch this fool.
    Anyway I think I would have played it about the same way.
    I would not have talked to him either.

Medical science has come a long ways but still "there is no cure for stupid".

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    My biggest issue would have been loading (racking the slide) in the room with the whole wedding party there. He should have gone outside or to an empty room to load. He wasn't in immediate danger, so no reason the be working the action of the gun among other people. When I load or unload (and I carry a revolver) I always do it where I am alone. Too many accidents occur during this process. Tennessee BTW is an OC state, so brandishing is not an issue I can really address.

Tennessee is open carry ONLY IF you have a Carry Permit. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. Without a permit someone OCing can be charged with "carrying for the purpose of going armed".

VIP Member
    Based on the venue, maybe the guy had been drinking and if that was the case I'd be out of there. Either way, it appears that he wanted attention, which is childish.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The guy is probably an idiot, manipulating his pistol unnecessarily. Even if there is a reason to unholster or reholster, it's bad to play with the slide. Plus of course in Texas none of this should be seen by anyone else.

I certainly would not approach this unstable fellow to give him any advice.

Last I checked, the word BRANDISHING never appears in Texas gun law. Those of you from other states might want to check your vocabulary and Texas law when it comes to commenting on threads that have nothing to do with your neck of the woods or the laws inherent to them. When you disseminate information over the internet based on your individual state law, it mostly causes confusion for everyone who doesn't live under the same statutes.

It's people like this guy, who think they know they law, who often wind up in handcuffs.

sgb
    I'd simply continue to mind my own business. People do stupid $hit every day.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links