Acting irresponsibly

Acting irresponsibly

This is a discussion on Acting irresponsibly within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day I was at a wedding and one of the people at my table seemed to be acting a little irresponsibly. First off, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Acting irresponsibly

VIP Member

Acting irresponsibly

The other day I was at a wedding and one of the people at my table seemed to be acting a little irresponsibly. First off, I noticed that he had an empty belt holster visible on his belt. He was wearing a shirt and tie and no jacket. Since Texas is a concealed carry state, I think he should have been more discrete in showing his holster, even though it was empty. There's no need to let other people know that he's a concealed carrier. I didn't know the guy so I kept quiet, but someone else at the table asked him where his gun was. He said he had taken it off because he planned to dance and didn't want it getting in the way.

Later in the evening, I look up and see the guy with his gun in his hand and in a quick motion, he bends over and, while he's got his hands under the table, he mumbles something about needing to "get dressed" and I see his arms moving and hear the unmistakable sound of the slide being racked. He then stands up, sticks the gun in his holster and puts on his jacket. All the while, he's visible to everyone at the table and basically in the room.

Again, I didn't say anything, but in thinking about this whole episode over the last few days, I think I should have said something like: "I really appreciate that you're an armed citizen, but don't you think a little discretion would be called for? You don't know if someone in the room might have been an officer who could have arrested you for brandishing. Also, someone might have seen a man with a gun and called 9-1-1."

What do you think? Should I have said something? What would you do in a situation like this?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

The guy is obviously more interested in having everyone know he's CCW (which kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me) than in being discrete and cautious about the way he handles a deadly weapon in public. Politely excuse yourself and get the heck out of range!
    Bark'n, Naufragia and Magnum like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Get the heck out and do it now.
    RoadKill, Magnum and jem102 like this.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

it is people like him that the antis refer to when they go on their idiotic rants about foolish gun nuts who are using their guns to
    compensate for other deficiencies.
    You could of had a quiet chat with him about being more discrete, then again he was probably "lubed" up and wouldn't have been to friendly to his acting like an arse being pointed out

I would be collecting my troops and getting out of Dodge. If it isn't my house or my party, then it isn't my place to correct him or tell him otherwise. My choice is to leave.
    jem102, Magnum, ctr and 7 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

With the exception of racking the slide under the table, which is uncalled for and unwise, I don't see it as a big deal. Returning the weapon to the proper condition before returning to the table would mean that it would have been in and remained in his holster.

He may have been an "officer". I have known many cops who were not terribly concerned if people at a particular function knew that they were armed as at least some knew them and knew they were cops.

If he was a citizen, depending on the local statutes, your brandishing comment might be valid.

Other than the safety concerns, which I would remedy by moving, not my problem and I am not going to start a row at a function I was invited to.
    glockman10mm, Ianator and Tzadik like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I don't think I would have said anything. It will be him that is going to learn the lesson, not you. It's not like he was trying to be discrete about it. If he wants to flaunt it, let him deal with the results. And if there was that officer in the room at the time, let him handle it as he has the authority. You can't change one's personality.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    With the exception of racking the slide under the table, which is uncalled for and unwise, I don't see it as a big deal. Returning the weapon to the proper condition before returning to the table would mean that it would have been in and remained in his holster.

He may have been an "officer". I have known many cops who were not terribly concerned if people at a particular function knew that they were armed as at least some knew them and knew they were cops.

If he was a citizen, depending on the local statutes, your brandishing comment might be valid.

Other than the safety concerns, which I would remedy by moving, not my problem and I am not going to start a row at a function I was invited to.
    Yeah, but where was this gun while he wasn't "dressed" and "dancing"? Laying under the table where just anyone could have picked it up... someones kid maybe?? Thats my problem with the scenario.

I wouldn't have said anything, I'd have just left as well.
    Magnum likes this.

That was not an issue mentioned in the OP so I did not address it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Sounds like a bad situation that there wasn't much you could have done.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You may have observed it, but with no other information I'd keep
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like he just wanted the attention. Ive been to plenty of weddings and for those occasions i do not carry because i carry on my belt. If a person was carrying in pocket or on ankle and it never gets out then sure but in his case just leave it in the car. Geez.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Sounds like a newbe with a bit of a macho problem. Wants everone to think he's something special. To bad there wasn't a leo in the crowd to adjust that for him.
    Magnum likes this.

In Florida, Mr. Macho-man is guilty of brandishing.....doesn't Texas have a similar law? This guy flaunted his gun and no one said a word to him? Here he would have gotten a visit from the boys with funny green suits and big shiny stars, and big black Glocks....pointed directly at him. Handling a gun the way he did is how innocent people die every day, and this clown obviously is new to carry and trying to impress his friends.....he needed the wake up call. Too bad no one gave it to him.

from the Florida Statutes.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    In Florida, Mr. Macho-man is guilty of brandishing.....doesn't Texas have a similar law? This guy flaunted his gun and no one said a word to him? Here he would have gotten a visit from the boys with funny green suits and big shiny stars, and big black Glocks....pointed directly at him. Handling a gun the way he did is how innocent people die every day, and this clown obviously is new to carry and trying to impress his friends.....he needed the wake up call. Too bad no one gave it to him.

from the Florida Statutes.

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    From the little said, I wouldn't have thought he was guilty of brandishing.OMOYNV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links